GAS (and I'm not talking for my car!!!)

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 2:21 am - Phx, AZ
Hello.  I'm wanting suggestions and advice...  I'm 2 weeks out from my hernia & revision...  I knew that I'd have gas.  But the INTENSE PAIN in my abdomen from the gas is like a HOT KNIFE and won't let up.  It keeps me from standing/walking upright.  Even the skin on my stomach hurts to touch.

I'm taking 4 extra-strength Gas-X a day, plus yesterday I took a Pepcid.... all to no avail.  This is bad.  Will this end soon?  Or REALLY lessen?

Also, should my diarrea be so watery???  I fear I could get dehydrated because of the frequency and the wateriness of it, esp yesterday.  Should/Can I take something to stop the diarrea, or would that hurt me, literally?  I don't want to get stopped up, as my abdominal muscles don't yet want to "push" anything......

I'm just hoping that these things will subside QUICKLY because I notice that I am becoming a bit discouraged... I guess I shouldnt' be, but I don't like the pain part hanging on.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. 

Deanne K.
on 12/5/08 5:32 am - Tucson, AZ
Get out and take a walk.  It does help.  I know it's not a comfort, but it does get better. 

Just make sure you are drinking your water.  Have you had carbs?  It could be causing some of the pain. 

The diarrhea is normal, but if it's too bad, give the Dr. a call.  No you don't want to get dehydrated.  Make sure you drink.  It does help with moving the gas a litte.

Don't get discouraged yet.  Things do get better.  I have walked in your shoes and it hit me right before I went back to work at 6 weeks. 

Deanne
PekinSal
on 12/5/08 5:38 am - UK
What revision have you had done Lizzie? If it was something to do with your intestines, it may be because of that - eRNY and DSers commonly have gas issues from certain foods, because they aren't completely digested.

These foods can include white flour, rice, pasta etc, which are hard sometimes to avoid. Some people also find problems with particular vegetables like corn or broccoli. Lactose intolerance is another cause - you may get this temporarily.

DSers often take probiotics to encourage friendly bacteria to push out the bad ones, flagyl for bacterial overgrowth, and Gas-X or Beano.

The final thing might just be the gas they used to blow you up if you had lap surgery - this can take a while to work its way out! Hope something here helps!

DS revision from failed lapband

ginau
on 12/6/08 3:52 am - mesa, AZ
 Lizzie

Welcome to REVISION !!!  call the Dr - Sounds like you might be eligable for a script to help ease the  pain & Bloating( Flagyl)  - Also  would ask him about taking a  Probiotic  - They do help some .. Not real quickly - but stay on em and they can help ..

hang in there - it does get better in time.  you just have to learn to juggle it again.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/08 8:36 am - AZ
Hi Lizzie,

I had my ERNY on July 2, 2008. I had the very same issue as yourself. It is getting alot better for me. Sometimes I get gas for no reason and don't Harley have any carbs. Sometimes I think I am being punished. LOL. Really it does get alot better with the diarrhea to. I had to get a script for Flay-gal like Jeanna mentioned. It worked very good for me. I also take a probotic everyday. I got it from CVS drug store. But also try to walk of the gas. I found nothing to work on my gas but it is 95 % better since surgery. Things do get better. Good luck.

Dawn
mew6495
on 12/6/08 11:16 am - MI
 Hello Lizzie,

First of all...IT DOES get  better!  I also suffered from diarreha at about 2 weeks out.  Dr. S. told me if I had it longer then 4 days to give him a call.  I did...he said try taking benefiber and a high grain bread and this should help firm the stools up.  He said if this did not work then he could prescribe me something to take care of it.   Mine was also very watery.  Mine did get better but it still comes and goes at times.  Most times it is "gone", especially the farther I get out from my revision.  Dr. S. will also ask you about your carb intake.  For both the gas and diarreha.  I would also suggest you start journaling your intake because you can be surprised just how much carbs you take in without realizing it.   I think Dr. S would like to see you try other methods of controlling the gas and diarreha before automatically prescribing flagyl.  He would not prescribe me the flagyl even when my gas was at my worst.  But your condition may be different so definitely give him a call.  He really doesn't mind.  

Good Luck.
Most Active