Update on my revision and my mother's battle with cancer.

tnwalkersu
on 12/4/08 2:03 pm - Somerville, TN
Today was a crazy day.  I came down sick yesterday with fluid behind my ears and a sinus infection.  Today my sister took my mother to the hospital because she was in such bad shape.  She has lung cancer and her chemo isn't going well.  At the hospital they found she was severely dehydrated, anemic, had a rash all over her body that looked like a burn and itched really bad
and she had dropped 9 lbs in the past week.  My sister said that she looked like a different person since we saw her a week ago.  She can't even walk without help.  My other sister made a prediction that she didn't think that she would make it to X-mas and she's probably right.  And with me and my brother both sick we aren't allowed to be near her so that we won't pass it on to her.  My doc said I couldn't help until Sunday when I won't be contagious.

That brings me to my revision.  With the way the economy is going right now,  I am going to have to go back to work, if I can find a job.  I haven't had a regular job since I was 26 and I'm now 55.  I have been running a horse boarding and training facility that I own for the past 15 yrs.  The position wants someone that has had 1 yr of retail experience and experience running the store and delegating employees and handling stock.  This is a lot like what I've been doing here at the barn.  This may not look like much on a resume but I believe that I can make up for it in a face to face talk.  And they have great insurance that will pay 100% of my WLS.

But then there is my mother to think of.  There are four of us kids and I'm the only one that doesn't work regular hours and more open to be there for my mother.  But if I don't get a job to help out at home I don't know what we are going to do.  We have enough money until Jan 1 but then after that I just don't know what we are going to do.  The money well is running dry.  Getting this job is very important for us to keep our home and maybe take care of my mother.  So what am I supposed to do.  Get the job and save my home or stay home and be there if and when my mother needs me when no one else can take care of her? 

I can't get my surgery until all this is over with.  If I get the job after I am there for 3 months and will be eligible for the WLS.  But I need the job know so what will I do about my mother.  I don't think there is a right answer here.  Any suggestions would be so welcomed.  No judgment here.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Nancy G.
on 12/4/08 8:07 pm - La Salle, IL
((((((((Hugs))))))))

I am so sorry that you are in such an overwhelming situation right now.  I also want to say I understand your feelings about not being able to see your mom right now.  My dad was dying of leukemia and I was exposed to chicken pox.  I have never had them and I had to wait 30 days for the incubation stage to pass before I could see him again.  It about killed me.

As much as you want to be there for your mom, ask yourself, would she want you to lose your home?  There are some wonderful agencies including hospice that can come in to your moms home while you work and you can still be available during your non working times. 

I realize that this is a very stressful time for you. I found that having a job when dad was dying gave me some time to "escape" mentally and focus on positive things for a time each day.  I would spend as much time with him as possible but I did not have the choice of giving up my job.  He understood and was worried that I was taking time off work too much to come see him.  Parents worry too.  With that said, I would not trade the time I spent with my dad for anything.  I am glad that I did.  He was 6 hours away and I went to see him every other weekend for a long weekend. 

As far as the job you are pursuing, think about the skills you have and in your resume, break down the tasks and write them up to show how they correlate to the retail aspect of the job you are applying for.  Dont sell yourself short. 

Good luck, and thoughts and prayers are with you. 

Cat Lady

tnwalkersu
on 12/5/08 12:49 am - Somerville, TN
Thsnks so much for you kind words.  Since I couldn't sleep last night I took the time to make a resume doing what you said and sent it in.  I hope that they see that the things that I have been doing can eaily be put in force in the retail market.  Herding people around has to be easier than herding horses and their owners!

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Most Active