Tummy Issues and Lactose Intolerance

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 10:21 am - Brunswick, ME
Hi,

Why do so many of us develop tummy issues and lactose intolerance following revision surgery?  Is it related to the way food is broken down in our newly shortened common channel?

I am about 5 weeks post-op (common channel shortened 200 cm to 75 cm) and started having tummy issues about 2 weeks ago.  My tummy just doesn't feel good after I eat and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat. By the end of the day I feel nauseous. It actually feels a lot like motion sickness. I am also suspecting a newly formed lactose intolerance issue because a small sugar free pudding snack caused me a lot of gas. Dr. S called in a script for Prilosec for me. Hopefully that helps with the tummy issues. If anyone has any insight to why some of us experience these issues please enlighten me.

Thank you,

Angie in Maine
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/08 1:22 am - Phx, AZ
Hi Angie in Maine,

I'm Liz in Arizona... just had hernia/revision surgery w/Dr. S on Nov 21st; so I'm 14 days out.  I'm getting to that point, just a bit, I believe..  can have a good day, then a bad...  I make my shakes with milk, and it seems that it results in gas.  Have had only a couple of days w/nausea...so I feel terrible for your plight...I hate that motion sickness feeling...it's worse than just feeling like a stomach flu.  Ug.

Hang in there.  Drop a line when you need/want.
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 5:47 am - Brunswick, ME
Hi Liz,

Dr. S gave me a script for Prilosec 40 mg. I started taking it yesterday and I feel a thousand times better already. This is the first time I've felt normal in 2 weeks. Be sure to call Dr. S if your nausea continues. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer. I wish you all the best.

Angie
Deanne K.
on 12/4/08 10:52 am - Tucson, AZ
Angie,
Did he give you a script for anti-nausea medication?  If so try that first.  I went through all that you are experiencing.  You can get gas from just about anything you eat.  You don't always know what is causing it.  I have gotten gas from chicken, go figure. 

Keep in touch with Dr. S, you know he's there for you if you need him.  He's the best.

Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 5:43 am - Brunswick, ME
Deanne,

Thanks for the info. Yes, he gave me a script for Prilosec 40 mg. I started taking it yesterday and feel so much better already. That nauseous feeling is the pits. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer to call.

Angie
PekinSal
on 12/7/08 4:11 am - UK
Sometimes its lactose (and I've always had intolerance to milk protein and its quite hard to avoid it - your protein shake is probably made of whey protein).

Or from your post I noticed you had a sugar free pudding. Did it have any sugar alcohols in it instead (anything ending in 'ol') because short common channels don't like these either.

Wheat flour, white rice, pasta and bread do it for me too - not sure if this is the same as eRNYers but it might be worth making a note of what you eat and any 'reaction' to it for now. In time a lot of this goes away...

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active