Hit a plateau after 3 weeks? Can that be?

DMS923
on 12/3/08 2:13 am - NY
I had my revision from Band to RNY on November 5.  By November 27 (exactly three weeks) I was loosing a pound a day and on the 27th I had lost 21 lbs. However, I have not dropped a single pound since...I am freaking out???  Can I have hit a plateu already?  I am following the diet, however the only thing maybe that I am not doing is drinking all tha****er, I just am not a big water drinker. Can that be hindering my continued weight loss?

Donna
205 first band 2003/175 second band 2006/191 revision to RNY
191 at revision/current 170/goal 125

PekinSal
on 12/3/08 4:52 am - UK
Breathe girl, breathe!

A lot of people have a stall after the first three to four weeks post op. There is a metabolic reason for this, and it isn't anything to worry about.

Apparently (scuse me if someone else gets it more accurate; I'm not a scientist) your body stores energy in two ways - glycogen in your liver, and as fat. In the first two to three weeks your body is using up glycogen stores, until it realises that large quantities of food aren't on the horizon. It then has to convert some of your fat to glycogen to replace what you've used, and this involves using water.

So you've lost fat, but are holding more water. You'll probably lose inches for a bit now, till your body settles again, then you'll lose pounds.

DS revision from failed lapband

DMS923
on 12/3/08 5:23 am - NY
I cant thank you enough for your response!  So this is actually normal - woo hoo - I am doing the dance - you have helped so much.  I swore that I would be the only exception to the laws of RNY and not loose more than 20 lbs....

Thanks again so much!!!! 

Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 11:06 am - Breinigsville , PA
 Thank you PekinSal for the wonderful explanation !
PekinSal
on 12/3/08 5:32 am - UK
You're welcome sweety, now go and eat something...

DS revision from failed lapband

redprincess1973
on 12/3/08 9:47 pm - Orange Park, FL
Same thing is happening to me.  The body got shocked at first after the surgery and I dropped immediately.  Now - 6 weeks out - it is slow going.  I am just holding - which, honestly is fine with me - it's better for my body.  I am "loosing" because I am fitting into smaller clothes - which is what the goal is for me, anyways:) 

Just make sure you are following the rules and you should be good to go!

Heather
DMS923
on 12/3/08 10:29 pm - NY
I guess it will be slow and go.....which you are right is probably better for the body.  Only rule I am having trouble with is the water...just cant get that much liquid in.

Thanks, Donna
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
(deactivated member)
on 12/5/08 11:04 am - Breinigsville , PA
Donna,
     Thank you for your post. I too have noticed a stall and knowing the physiological reason makes me feel much better.

Most Active