RNY REVISION - Did you lose it 2nd time around?

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 2:03 am - KY
If the first RNY pouch was stretched out, won't the second time around produce the same results?  DId you lose weight with your RNY revision (if you had the original RNY)?
JROLFSON
on 12/4/08 3:37 am - St. George, UT

Dear Goincrazy:

Everyone on this board or anywhere for that matter has a different reason for wanting revisions. Some the pouch has streched, some the common channel is proximal and has just stopped working, some have issues such as scar tissue, hernias, some just overeat and the results are what you would expect...either way or for whatever reason everyone deserves a second chance, therefore the revision.

I had a stomach stapling in the late 70's, revised to an RNY in the late 80's both of these surgeries were successful. The first for 10 years the second for 18 years. So to answer your question did I lose weight? You bet I did. But around the 18th year after the RNY I got lazy and didn't follow what I should to maintain my weight loss. I now am researching a distal RNY or ERNY. From what I've read on this board, it is the less complicated of all the revisions, not necessarily the most successful, although it seems to produce between 35-55 lbs of weight loss which is within the goal I personally need to reach. Those weight loss numbers are different for everyone, and again based on how well you follow directions.

Good luck on your research.

Revisions trully can be successful...Just read JRinAZ's story.

Janie Rolfson

skinny_cyndi
on 12/5/08 1:02 am - Mahwah, NJ
I had my original RNY in 1999. I had a mechanical malfunction and my staples ruptured and food was going into my old stomach. I regained to 196 from 400 lbs. I had a revision in February of this year, they cut out an ulcer and revised the new pouch but really didn't touch anything else. I have been at goal which is 140 for me since late summer. Everyone has their own reasons for seeking a revision but different for each case. But I just wanted you to know that revisions can and do work but sticking to your surgeon's aftercare program is key, that is what will keep the weight off. There are quite a few people I have seen around with success stories after a revision. Depending on the reason for your revision should guide youyr decision on the procedure that's right for you.
Most Active