Did I hear you correctly...

Sis'ta "T" Bone
on 12/3/08 12:36 am - Miami, FL
After going through the pre-op approval process and talking with family members, I had decided that I would not persue revision so aggressively.  Having not communicated with my doctor's office in over three weeks, I figured, "Out of sight, out of mind" until I got a call yesterday.  I was told that I had been approved for a revision - from band to bypass.

So, how do I feel? !  My sister says, "Go for it!" My best friend says  for guidance, and my dear husband, doesn't like the idea at all - due to plastic surgery during Christmas of 2004 that left me very ill.

Any advice that could calm my nerves, my surgery date is Dec. 30 (possibly sooner if I can move the date due to winter recess) .
Sis'ta Thick-Bone from Sunny So. FL
Believing that God's intentions are for us to prosper. (I Corr. 2:9)

NeedhamGal
on 12/3/08 12:38 am - MA
I am very happy with my conversion from band to rny.  I find eating healthier is so much easier than with the band. I don't gurgle at night, and I don't get first bite syndrome, and I have no heartburn.    Joan
Nurse343
on 12/11/08 12:41 pm - Colorado Springs, CO
what is first bite syndrome
NeedhamGal
on 12/14/08 3:47 am - MA
when you take your first bite of a meal..then you feel stuck.  Often you need to upchuck it...for nothing will get by it.
Nurse343
on 12/15/08 4:53 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for your reply.  I am unhappy with my lapband due to some of the feelings I get.  I have 8cc in a 10cc band and felt restriction for about 4 weeks then it goes away not totally but I can eat way to much.  I get that first bite syndrome every time i eat almost bringing me to my knees sometime, my doctor says chew better( i chew like a crazy woman and it still happens), I have constant pain in my left upper abdomen under my rib.  The more fills I get the worse my GERD get.  I think I want to convert to a rny but I don't know how to go about that or if my insurance will cover it.  I am miserable and feel like a failure. only 30 lbs gone and gained back 6 over the holiday.  Just wanted to vent and wondering how the process for revision went for you.
DMS923
on 12/3/08 2:47 am - NY
Best thing I ever did is get that band out and revise to RNY.
I knew if I didn't go for it, I would only regret it down the road.
Good Luck
Donna (DMS923)
RNY November 5, 2008
Starting Weight: 191 
Current Weight: 140
Goal Weight: 130
PekinSal
on 12/3/08 4:47 am - UK
Follow your sister's advice and get on with it. I was sure the revision surgery would kill me, but I was wrong. My husband was worried as well, and he was wrong too. I waved goodbye to my band and haven't missed it for a millisecond.

Since the op I've been the smallest weight I've been since my teens, and all the angst and worry and pain was worth it. You are doing this for quality of life, not on a whim, so grit your teeth and be brave.

DS revision from failed lapband

JROLFSON
on 12/4/08 3:50 am - St. George, UT
Go For It Sista!!!!! Go For It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you decide not I'll gladly take your place....

JRolfson
fortworthgal
on 12/5/08 1:46 pm - Fort Worth , TX
Im so glad I got a revision from band to RNY. I had that sorry band for 4 years. I had reflux so bad I would wake up choking at night, food was always getting stuck, I couldnt control my cravings for sweets. I am now 4 months post op RNY and I feel like I have so much more control. I did however have a serious complication which was blood clots which left me in the hospital for a month and required 3 more surgeries but I still have no regrets. Most people dont get blood clots.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

tuckermn04
on 12/7/08 7:26 pm
I just had my revision from band to bypass at the end of October.  So far, I have found them to be totally different experiences.  With my band, even at good restriction, I was hungry.  I could eat the 'bad' food with no problems.  I lost 100 lbs, than regained about 50 with unfills, relfux, and other band problems. 

Since my rny, I have yet to be hungry, I have to make myself eat- and if I do choose something unhealthy, it makes me feel sick.  I have lost 24lbs in 5 weeks and am approaching the lowest weight I got with my band.  I would absolutely do it over again. 

The surgery itself was not easy-  it was much more painful than I expected, but I don't think everyone feels that way.  I was in the hospital for 4 days and took a full 2 weeks off from work.  For me, the most painful part was the port removal.  After 4 years, there is quite a bit of scar tissue holding it in place. 

Melissa
284/260/1??
10/31/08
Most Active