Revision complications!!! Anyone had stent?????

mellow
on 12/2/08 6:24 am
I had "uh-oh" surgery July 3rd.  Punctured small intestine while trying lap.  Opened up, repaired puncture, no RNY due to time on table.  Went home, healed.   Came back for RNY Nov. 12.  Surgery started lap, had to be cut open.  Stayed in hospital.  Last drain removed on Nov. 20.  Fevers, applesauce and fluids leak out drain hole.  Dr. on call paged 1:00 a.m., 2 a.m., 3 a.m.?  First intern in 6 a.m. knows nothing of my problems.  Nov. 20 stent implanted from esophagus through new pouch to small intestine.  Nothing by mouth since.  Surgeon and GI doc disagree on time I need to be NPO (nothing by mouth).  Surgeon thinks a couple of weeks, GI 6 weeks.  I have a feeding tube in old stomach.  That is not really a problem.  Worse thing is mid back pain probably referred pain from the stent.  I will go home soon.  I can't find much about stents used for treatment of fistulas from bariatric surgery.  Anyone out there have any experience with this?   I would greatly appreciate any info I can get.

I request your prayers.  I have tried to improve my health and I seem to go backwards repeatedly.  Mellow
pokerchips
on 12/2/08 8:27 am
I will keep your in my prayers. Praying for a speedy recovery!
ilse72
on 12/2/08 11:41 am - AL
Aww, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear of all you've been through.  I'm also sorry I can't answer your question but (as you know), RNY wasn't my WLS.  My thoughts and prayers are with you!  {{{hugs}}}
mellow
on 12/2/08 11:54 am
Thanks ilse.  I guess the biggest worry that I have right now is stent migration.  From my research it is quite common.  I am an optimist or I wouldn't have gone into this to start with, but when so much goes wrong - you start to become a little paranoid.  I am not usually a fearful person and I am uncomfortable with the feeling.  I will have to just take one day at a time and hope for the best.

About you - I read where your weigh loss was slow.   How is it going?  I know it must be discouraging to do all the right things and not get the right result.  Does your have any explanation?

Take care and I really appreciate your prayers.  Your friend, mellow
ilse72
on 12/2/08 12:32 pm - AL
I sure hope the stent doesn't migrate!  So, the stent in this procedure doesn't grow into the tissues?  I sure hope you have no further problems because you've had more than your fair share already with your surgery.  Please keep me posted on how you are doing!

Hypothyroidism runs in my family and my pcp suspects I have a silent case (meaning my bloodwork doesn't show it) because I have the symptoms.  That would impact my weight loss as would the fact that I had a low starting BMI (33.3).  I try to stay optimistic since I am normally a very optimistic person and I am losing steadily (only one stall) but it is SO slow.  It is hard seeing those who had surgery months after me losing almost  as many pounds in one month as it has taken me 4 months to lose...especially since I am following all the rules.  I just keep plugging along and praying that I do lose all I want to lose.  Time will tell.  :)

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/08 12:22 pm - AZ
I just love your little mousey !!!!
ilse72
on 12/8/08 1:42 pm - AL

Dawn, thank you!  One of my nicknames growing up was "mouse" and it has stuck through the years...probably because I am shy...at least until I get to know someone.  Over the years, it became my signature as well.  So, all cards I send, all emails, etc, have a mouse on them somewhere.  I also have hundreds of mouse collectibles in my home...most were gifts. 

Deanne K.
on 12/2/08 12:45 pm, edited 12/2/08 12:48 pm - Tucson, AZ
Mellow,
You sure have gone through the toughest time.  It's not right that the Dr.'s didn't respond, that just makes me angry.  Hopefully they are aware of the implications of their non-response.  It's so hard to see someone else going through such a hard time.  Had a very good friend that had the sleeve and had major fatal complications due to being punctured, PE's, trechtomy, respirator, colostomy, she had an oops surgery the first time and endend up open like yours for her repair .  Keep getting up and walking as much as you can, she was very limited in her 6 months she had post op.  You want to be as active as you can.  I sure hope that you have turned the corner to a healthier you and free of any more complications.  You sure deserve to be the most sucessful post op ever.  Have faith that God will bring you healing and it will get better.  I have never heard of a stent in the esophogus, that's a new use that I never heard of.  Good Luck to you and keep us all posted as you can.  We will keep you in our prayers.  Deanne
mellow
on 12/2/08 1:41 pm
Thanks Deanne.
I was offered the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't pay and it was a new surgery for my surgeon.  I am so thankful now that I didn't have it because my "old" stomach would have been removed and that is where the feeding tube is.  If you have a leak with the sleeve what then????    From my research the stent is fairly new for this complication, but seems to have good results.  I am trusting that God has brought me this far for a reason and that I just have to hang on. 
Your prayers are greatly appreciated!  All my best, mellow

myly1044
on 12/3/08 11:02 am - TX
Boy I sure feel for you...I have been there and done that for over 1 year.   You can read my page to get all the info but I have talked to several people and some that have had the stent and it worked on about half of them and some of us it didn't.  I had my feeding tube go to my intestine so I was constantly hungry.  I sure hope you heal soon.

Lisa

Most Active