Do I need a Revision?

JerseyGirl
on 12/1/08 12:45 pm - Camden, NJ
I had RNY Gastric Bypass in January 05.  I went down to 148 from 307 pounds.  I still exercise and get my water and protein in I am back up to 190 pounds and at 5 feet 1 inch I am Obese again.  I am always hungry and drink water to try to take the pains away and only eat when I am supposed to.   I used to exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week then 45 minutes 5 days a week now 1 hour and can not loose the weight.  I am having problems with my back and my knees are starting to bother me.  The doctor that performed my surgery moved on the other side of the country.  I live in New Jersey and would like to find a doctor to consult to find out what is going on.  I currently have Medicaid until my new job gives me insurance around April 2009.  I have a severe family history of cancer, high blood pressure and diabetes with a long list of other obesity related illnesses and do not want any of them.  Some one please help me.  What should I do?  Where do I go from here and how do I find a good doctor to consult that does a revision in Southern NJ.  the extra 48 pounds after 2 years is depressing.  I feel like a failure.
pepsi98
on 12/1/08 6:48 pm - Norwich, CT
On December 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Pacific Time, JerseyGirl wrote:
I had RNY Gastric Bypass in January 05.  I went down to 148 from 307 pounds.  I still exercise and get my water and protein in I am back up to 190 pounds and at 5 feet 1 inch I am Obese again.  I am always hungry and drink water to try to take the pains away and only eat when I am supposed to.   I used to exercise for 30 minutes 5 days a week then 45 minutes 5 days a week now 1 hour and can not loose the weight.  I am having problems with my back and my knees are starting to bother me.  The doctor that performed my surgery moved on the other side of the country.  I live in New Jersey and would like to find a doctor to consult to find out what is going on.  I currently have Medicaid until my new job gives me insurance around April 2009.  I have a severe family history of cancer, high blood pressure and diabetes with a long list of other obesity related illnesses and do not want any of them.  Some one please help me.  What should I do?  Where do I go from here and how do I find a good doctor to consult that does a revision in Southern NJ.  the extra 48 pounds after 2 years is depressing.  I feel like a failure.
I am getting a band placed over my old bypass next week.  It is an option that others on this board have done and they are losing.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

JROLFSON
on 12/4/08 4:35 am - St. George, UT
Dear Pepsi98:

Who are the successful revised banders? I would like to read their stories...I too am in the middle of revision research and so far I'm headed towards a distal RNY...Would love to read some RNY to band success stories...

Thank you so much.

JRolfson
(deactivated member)
on 12/4/08 10:05 pm, edited 12/4/08 10:07 pm - AZ
On December 4, 2008 at 12:35 PM Pacific Time, JROLFSON wrote: Dear Pepsi98:

Who are the successful revised banders? I would like to read their stories...I too am in the middle of revision research and so far I'm headed towards a distal RNY...Would love to read some RNY to band success stories...

Thank you so much.

JRolfson

Several are on my doc's board.  I hate the band, hate it with a passion but I have to admit that band over bypass is quite effective.  They don't seem to have the complications people do with just a band.  Weight loss is slower but it does come off.

I am gun shy of banding but I have to say the band after a bypass does indeed seem to work.  You have to go to a VERY skilled REVISION surgeon and I'm sorry, I just wouldn't dream of going to Schlessinger, not a chance.  I live in AZ and I am in medicine and I knew about him before I ever knew I needed a revision.  I would not go to him.  But if you go to a really good surgeon who is skilled and experienced in bands AND revisions, it can be a very good surgery with a great outcome.

PekinSal
on 12/1/08 8:57 pm - UK
You aren't a failure, so stop thinking that.

You need to talk to a good revision surgeon if your original surgeon isn't around - I know the list of DS ones is on duodenalswitch.com, but you might want to post the question about RNY revision surgeons on the RNY or main board too.

There are lots of things that can be done, but you need an expert to guide you through them - it depends why you're putting on weight again (has your stoma stretched, your pouch stretched, something gone wrong) or was is never going to be enough to keep you at goal weight (do you need more malabsorbtion than you already have). If you get the answers for why, you can narrow it down.

For stretched pouches theres a surgical resizing, or a band over it. For stomas theres the various techniques being developed to shrink them down to post-op size. For more malabsorbtion theres having a proximal RNy made more distal or extended. Or there's the option of getting your insides put back to how they were and having a DS instead.

Its mind boggling, and we aren't surgeons (some of these things might not be possible for you) so you need help first. Don't give up!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

JerseyGirl
on 12/2/08 7:59 am - Camden, NJ
Thank you for your response.  I appreciatate the advice and words of encouragment.   I will start looking for a doctor to consult with.  Good luck with your DS surgery.
PekinSal
on 12/2/08 6:37 pm - UK
You're welcome - we stick together on here whatever surgery we've had, because we all thought the first one we had was the best thing in the world and we were disappointed!

Good luck with your research

DS revision from failed lapband

m.espoir
on 12/5/08 12:16 pm - NJ
OMG--! Go to my doc-- Greenbaum in Willingboro NJ!!!! Get the DS!!!! He is the best!!!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

charleston-mom
on 12/8/08 11:20 pm
I'm a successful band to RNY revision person too. I also HATE the lapband with a passion. RNY was the best thing I ever did.
Most Active