Thinking about revision from lap-band to RNY

Caetie
on 11/30/08 7:11 am - Tracy, CA
Hi Everyone -

I am looking for opinions from those of you who have had revision surgery. I have had the lap-band since 11/03 and have been overall unsuccessful. My surgeon is awesome, but we had to move from Idaho back to California about 7 months after the surgery, which caused a major issue with follow up care. I wasn't able to find a surgeon that would see me because they didn't perform the surgery. I finally did manage to find ONE person but the costs were ridiculous & because I have flight benefits - it was actually more cost effective to go back to Idaho. I've only done that twice due to $$ and time off from work.The band tightened on it's own and I lost 40lbs back in 1/07. It was great - then I went in for an adjustment and though I was terrified, agreed to the adjustment as it was obvious the band was too tight. Big mistake.... you can guess the rest. The pbing is really old... still do that. I'm just so over it.

My 40th birthday is in 3 days & I am so upset with myself. I've been seriously considering having a revision. I'm just not sure that's the right thing to do. My closest friend just had RNYdone last year.... she's a size 6 now.

So what do you thinK? Did insurance cover the revision? I haven't asked that yet, but insurance did tell me that even though I didn't have their insurance when I had the lap-band done, they would cover any issues as long as I was having problems. So I am thinking I would be able to get it covered. I currently have Blue Shield of CA, Access =HMO.

Any help would be great. One of the biggest things I didn't do was get support, so I am trying to change that.

Thanks in advance,
Caetie
MARCIAM
on 11/30/08 9:42 am - Sayville, NY
I had a revision from lapband to RNY in September.  I should say that my band was taken out in emergency surgery in August and the RNY in September.  It took months and two appeals to get the insurance to pay for it but I finally won.  My band was slipping up and down causing terrible reflux and I couldn't hold down any solid food.  Since the RNY I feel good, am losing again and I am totally happy with my revision.  If your doctor can show that the revision is medically necessary than the insurance will have to pay for it.  You may have a fight in your hands but it will be worth your efforts.  Good luck!
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

tnwalkersu
on 11/30/08 9:43 am - Somerville, TN
I haven't had my revision yet.  I've had my band for two years and can't wait to get rid of it.  It failed 6 months ago so I'm now in the process of getting my approval from my insurance company and they might not ever approve.  Bit it won't stop me.  I'm getting a revision to DS because I know that it is the one WLS that no one gets a revision after having it.  Of all of my research it seems to be the best.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Kennedy12
on 11/30/08 10:42 am - Chicago, IL
I just wanted to invite you over to the DS forum. There are several people there that have been revised from lapband to DS with great success. Come on over and check it out!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

cuppyb
on 11/30/08 7:49 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I just had revisio from band to RNY and it was the best thing I could have done.   I've lost 27 lbs in just under 5 weeks and no more pb'g.  Surgery went smooth and recovery was great.  I did take almost 3 weeks out of work this time and glad I did ..... took less with the band.

I have BCBS EPO/PPO National and they band for my band removal and revision.  As long as you have documented history of issues they should cover your surgery.

Best of luck. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Madcow
on 11/30/08 8:34 pm - MA
I also recently had a revision from band to RnY.  So far it is going very well. Eating is so much easier and there isnt the concern about whether or not you have the right amount of saliene in your band.  It's an adjustment though.  The big things to remember are protien, vitamins, water and exercise becasue of the malabsorption.  My insurance covered everything - no problem. .

240/140/138
DMS923
on 12/1/08 5:34 am - NY
I just had my revision from LapBand to RNY on November 5.  I am down 22 lbs already.  I am thrilled, and sooooo glad I did it.  I had two bands both un-successful.  I had nothing but bad reflux for 4 years, constant throwing up, and also a large hiatal hernia.  I am so glad to be rid of that thing. I am on the second step of the diet, (no more pureed foods - yipee)...all I am craving is a piece of toast, I just want something crunchy and not soft, but other than that, all is wonderful.  Good Luck - you wont regret the revision..

Donna
205/159/191/current 169/goal 125

Caetie
on 12/1/08 6:52 am - Tracy, CA
Thanks to all for the responses! It's great to finally have people understand what I have been going through.

I will seriously consider all options. I hadn't really thought of anything other than the RNY but will definitely look into the D-Switch.

I hope you all had a great holiday. I'm dreading Wednesday, but with your support - I just might make it through the day! LOL

Caetie
Most Active