Coming back to OH with my head hanging low.

kjaccaud
on 11/30/08 2:26 pm - San Carlos, CA
I was a member quite a few years ago, 2003 - 2004, to be exact.  I had a roux-n-y at that time ... lost weight insanely slow!  Finally made it down to 190lbs, but that was with a lot of struggling and throwing up... since that point, something's definitely changed and I'm gaining weight.  I am up 80 lbs (still 40 below my original weight).  And no matter how much I try to watch my diet (Jenny Craig, Weigh****chers, Atkins, misc gym memberships, etc over the past few years to try to help the weight gain to stop, I'm back to these horrible numbers.

I am definitely considering a revision.  From Roux-n-y to ?? Duo-Denual (sp?).

What are your ideas?  I keep thinking of all the things I may have done wrong, or that I may have misunderstood.  Anyway, I started at 310 in 2003.  In January 2004 I was 210 - good success, and I was happy, but then it started coming on gradually over the past 4 years.

I am wondering if lap band would be an option? or would duo-d be the better options for a successful outcome? 

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, and considerations that you share along the way!

Kimmy J
KPFAUSTO
on 12/1/08 12:20 am - ATHENS, GA

I dont know about duo denal but i have heard that alot of people have the lap band in place as revision after the roux n y

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/08 4:20 am

I am preop for Duodenal Switch (DS) and can't wait until the day I get my procedure. I'm waiting on insurance stuff. I would like to refer you to the DS forum where there are lots of folks who have had revisions to the DS and everyone loves to share their excitment over choosing the DS. Also check out            www.dsfact.com       for great information on the DS.

Good luck in your research.

Larissa P.
on 12/1/08 4:48 am - Denton, TX
Lap band over RNY would be failure over failure IMO.

You should definately come ask for advice on the DS board, we have many RNY and lap band revisions who went to the duodenal switch.

Me? I'm getting it right the first time this February. DS straight up.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Beam me up Scottie
on 12/1/08 5:18 am
The surgery you are looking for is the Duodenal Switch. You are fortunate there are 2 revision surgeons in Cal.

Don't be upset the RNY failed you, it fails a LOT of people. Come to the DS forum on OH .....we can answer some of your questions there are a few RNY to DS revisions that post regularly.

Scott
kjaccaud
on 12/1/08 5:36 am - San Carlos, CA
Thank you all so much for your gracious responses!  I will definitely be wandering over to the DS board this evening when I get home from work.

*hugs*

Kimmy J
pepsi98
on 12/1/08 6:13 am - Norwich, CT
On November 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM Pacific Time, kjaccaud wrote:
I was a member quite a few years ago, 2003 - 2004, to be exact.  I had a roux-n-y at that time ... lost weight insanely slow!  Finally made it down to 190lbs, but that was with a lot of struggling and throwing up... since that point, something's definitely changed and I'm gaining weight.  I am up 80 lbs (still 40 below my original weight).  And no matter how much I try to watch my diet (Jenny Craig, Weigh****chers, Atkins, misc gym memberships, etc over the past few years to try to help the weight gain to stop, I'm back to these horrible numbers.

I am definitely considering a revision.  From Roux-n-y to ?? Duo-Denual (sp?).

What are your ideas?  I keep thinking of all the things I may have done wrong, or that I may have misunderstood.  Anyway, I started at 310 in 2003.  In January 2004 I was 210 - good success, and I was happy, but then it started coming on gradually over the past 4 years.

I am wondering if lap band would be an option? or would duo-d be the better options for a successful outcome? 

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, and considerations that you share along the way!

Kimmy J
Look into ALL revisions.  I am a failed gastric stapling from 1982 and I took a long hard look at my age, family, job and what I was willing to work into my life and I am scheduled to have a band placed over my old bypass next week.  I am focused on being positive and successful, and I have "spoken" to several on this forum that have had this done and they are losing...slowly, but still losing.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Zee Starrlite
on 12/1/08 11:36 pm, edited 12/1/08 11:37 pm
Unfortunately the band over bypass situation seemed NOT to work out for most people that I"ve know to have it done.  There is however one Band over Bypass  person that has had great success and raves about it all the time on the OH boards.

Good Luck - anything can work out if you dedicate to it.  I personally  would think about it a bit more.

Okay, I looked at your post again and I'm confused.  Did you have both the VBG and gastric bypass?  A full RNY or just stomach stapling?  Either way, I am sure you've done your research.  May you have a safe and successful revision.

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

pepsi98
on 12/2/08 5:58 am - Norwich, CT
On December 2, 2008 at 7:36 AM Pacific Time, zee starrlite wrote:
Unfortunately the band over bypass situation seemed NOT to work out for most people that I"ve know to have it done.  There is however one Band over Bypass  person that has had great success and raves about it all the time on the OH boards.

Good Luck - anything can work out if you dedicate to it.  I personally  would think about it a bit more.

Okay, I looked at your post again and I'm confused.  Did you have both the VBG and gastric bypass?  A full RNY or just stomach stapling?  Either way, I am sure you've done your research.  May you have a safe and successful revision.

L
I believe I had the very early version of the RNY although my MD tells me they "don't do it like that anymore"!  I know of 5 people on this board that have had this done and are having success.  I also asked Dr. Curry and he said that he has had several successful band over bypass.  All I can do is the best I can. 

Thank you for your good wishes!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Deanne K.
on 12/1/08 11:43 pm - Tucson, AZ
Kimmy,
There is also the Extended RNY which is less risky than having the DS.  DS's can be done, but does pose some higher surgerical risks.  All surgeries have their benefits and risks.  You have to check them all out and decide for yourself which one is right for you, with the guidence of your revision surgeon.  Don't be shy about asking on this board to those of us who have had the Extended RNY, we will answer all the questions.  We don't have a separate board, so this is where most of us hang out.

Best of Luck on your research.
Deanne
Most Active