Advice/Warnings LB revision to RNY

tsa1560
on 11/30/08 1:15 pm - , TX
I am having a revision done from LB to RNY on Dec. 18.  I have had severe reflux since I got the band put in.  It really never worked well from day 1 which is documented well for insurance to pay for the new procedure.  My dr has warned me the revision will be worse as far as surgery and recovery.  I have a hiatal hernia that will have to be dealt with in addition to taking the LB out and doing the RNY.  I really was not freaked out by anything until he told me it would take 3 to 4 hours and can be considered complicated. 

Can anyone give me input on recovery or what I have to look forward to.  For me LB was a breeze.  I am thinking this is not going to be so easy after the DR's comment.  What do you think?
Band2RNY
on 11/30/08 2:11 pm
Hi T,

I am in the same situation as you. Had a band....had every complication....it worked for a while...lost 100 lbs, but not w/o the foaming, pb'ing, vomitting etc.  Had 3 additional surgeries to fix slippage, a hernia and a broken port.  Band mysteriously leaked off and on.  ...I now have gained back 70 lbs.  I've had at least 40-50 fills.  Even when tight as the dickens....could get the worst of foods down, but couldn't eat lean meats, fruits or veggies, but could eat a an entire fried chicken dinner w/ sides, oreos, cheetoes etc and then some.    I take the time to post now because I wish others that had complications would have when I was investigating WLS options. People that are doing well at the moment often get mad when others like us tell our version, but it's important to hear it all.  People often stop posting when they are having difficulties or have given up and have their band taken out. 

My doc also warned me that this time around, I will have a harder time with the revision.  I was up after each of my 3 band/hernia surgeries in less than a day.  I'm really concerned.  My biggest fear is leakage.  I have read about leaks as far out as 7 months for some folks.  Is this common?  Eeee  ghads!!! 
cuppyb
on 11/30/08 7:42 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I can revision from LB to RNY on 10/28/08 and it's probably the best thing I ever did.   Was in bander hell for the past year. 

My doc told me 3 - 4 hours and I was out of surgery just under 3 hours.  I did not have a hernia but I did have a lot of scar tissue to clean up.   I was expect a lot of pain after surgery giving they are cutting & stapling your stomach and intestine .... to my surprise it wasn't bad at all.  I was able to sit myself up in the bed, walking right away, and no issues getting around.  My only problem was I had an allergic reaction to morphine and was dry heaving & vomitting for 24 hours after surgery.  Once they switched me to toradol I was fine.   My abdomen would hurt when I was dry heaving. 

Spent 3 nights in the hospital and came home and slept in my own bed right from the beginning.  I was in my husband's recliner for 4 days after both my band and port replacement.  I returned to work on Nov 17th (1 day short of 3 weeks out from surgery).  I was tired the first few days back but then again I leave my house at 6am and don't get home sometimes til almost 9pm.   The one thing I found was I could not sit up straight in a chair or in the car for about 2 1/2 weeks .... I had to be reclined back a little.  Not sure if it was the surgery or all the bruises on my abdomen from the heprin injections.   

I was 360 before my band and got down to 215, after my unfill I went back up to 271 (the week before surgery).  The day of surgery I was 261 and today I am already down to 234 ....  27 lbs gone in just 5 weeks.   

I'm very pleased with my weight loss, I've been told by friends who had RNY that I should have lost more by now but I also know that my loss will be slower with the revision.   One day at a time works for me.   

Oh yeah, got released back to the gym for cardio at 3 weeks and as of tomorrow I can do everything.  I'm actually flying out tomorrow and going on a cruise ..... will be interesting not eating constantly on the cruise..... will be the first cruise since weight loss surgery, my last cruise was 2 weeks before my band.  

Best of luck on your journey.   

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Madcow
on 11/30/08 8:37 pm - MA
I had the same surgery a couple of months ago.  Band removal, hernia repair and put in RnY.  The recovery was definately tough.    I stayed in the hospital 4 days (as opposed to a few hours with the band).  It took me a long time to get my energy back.  I was tired alot for many weeks.  By 6 weeks I was feeling much better. I went back to work part time after 2 weeks but I struggled alot.  Now I feel great.

240/140/138
tsa1560
on 12/1/08 11:39 am - , TX
Thank you for all your replies.  I really appreciate it!!  I hope it all turns out well!!!
charleston-mom
on 12/2/08 11:31 pm
I had a revision from lapband to RNY 14 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did. Very little complications (slight wound infection). I am down to a size 0 or 2, and am 110 pounds. Had no problems whatsoever and lost very fast. Not everyone has a harder time.
runnergirl
on 12/4/08 10:13 am - Canada
 Hi 
I am a revision from VBG to DS. I was worried because of the high risk complications of a revision, but decided to go ahead because I wasn't really "Living" as a fat person and was willing to risk surgery for quality of life!!! I am glad I did. Good luck,  

Heather
fortworthgal
on 12/4/08 1:18 pm - Fort Worth , TX
I had a lap band for 4 years and got a revision to RNY on Aug 1. I have gone from 205 to 155 and my goal is 120 so Im only 35 lbs away! I did have serious complications but not from RNY, it was due to blood clots. You can read my ordeal on my profile if you feel like it. I am so glad I did it though because I would never have been able to lose the weight otherwise.

I went from lap band to RNY on Aug 1 2008.

SW    CW  GW
5'2"     205/133/ ?

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/08 9:43 pm - AZ
I had a band and hated it.  It worked but I absolutely hated it.  The reflux, stoma spasms, esophageal damage, barfing, foaming, sliming, out and out stoma spewing, getting stuck all the time, days of being unable to even drink water... I hated it.

I revised to a sleeve.  1.5 hour surgery, walked to the store the next day from the hospital and back, and I'm maintaining at 120# with a 20BMI.

If you need the malabsorption, get bypass.  If you need restriction only get a sleeve.  Just get rid of the band.

Most Active