share your experience

Hazeleyes922
on 11/30/08 2:18 am
I will have a revision in January 5th. My Dr. will do an open RNY. I really would like to have it lap but he had explain me that she needs room to remove the lapband, avoid scar tissue and not put me at any risk.
Please help me understand how is that other members in this page are having it lap and not me
Also please share you experience if you had it open. i know everyone is not the same but I would like to know anyway
mew6495
on 11/30/08 2:31 am - MI
Hi Hazeleyes922,

I also posted this to your inquiry at another post....

First of all...trust your doctor to determine what needs to be done.  If you have further questions discuss it with her so that you fully understand her reasoning.   

I actually preferred it to be open for the higher risk and safety reasons.  My Dr. found so many things inside that he cleaned up and to be honest with you, I am not sure they all would have been caught if  I had went lap.  

For me I found the open to be pretty easy to heal from.  Mind you this has been my 7th abdominal surgery, 6 of them have been open.  You will not be able to lift for several weeks, this means anything over 5 lbs.  I have a very high tolerance for pain so I found the pain to be very manageable.  Stay on top of your pain meds for the first week out and you will find you have an easier time of it.  One of the hardest parts for me was not being able to take a full shower the first 3 days.  Listen to your body, if you do to much your incision and abdomen will let you know by becoming sore or hurting.  You will move much more slower the first couple of weeks out but especially the first 3 days out.  Walking may be an effort but it will also help you heal faster.   If you have to cough or sneeze it will feel like your insides are imploding so this is normal should this happen to you.  Simple things like rolling over in bed or coming to a sitting up position will be difficult that first week or two.  I found putting pillows under my legs/knees while sleeping helped.  My only other suggestions is wear a elastic binder the first 3 to 4 weeks it really does help with the support and helps you move around better.   

Doing the basic things to take care of your self will make it better for you.  Good luck.  Let us know how you make out.
pepsi98
on 11/30/08 7:40 am - Norwich, CT
On November 30, 2008 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, Hazeleyes922 wrote:
I will have a revision in January 5th. My Dr. will do an open RNY. I really would like to have it lap but he had explain me that she needs room to remove the lapband, avoid scar tissue and not put me at any risk.
Please help me understand how is that other members in this page are having it lap and not me
Also please share you experience if you had it open. i know everyone is not the same but I would like to know anyway
I PM'd you...please go on the Connecticut forum and ask about Dr. Barba.  There are several people who have inside info on him...Jessica D from Manchester and Mickey from Vernon I think.  Make sure you have all the info on him possible and "talk" to these people.  I did and I'm glad of it!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Most Active