After Hernia & Revision Surgery

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/08 10:21 am - Phx, AZ

Howdy!  I'm 9 days out from open hernia & revision surgery.  This question goes out to anyone who has had the same.

Yesterday (8 days out) my folks and hubby took me out to Costco, just to get off my bed/recliner and into some civilization and sunshine.  I didn't walk too far, because I have little stamina to do so yet.  My abdomen pulls very much.

After "walking" (hunched like a monkey), while hanging on to the cart, for just about 5 minutes, I felt almost a "pull" in my R side, where I estimate the revision surgery was.  (I might say that I am still stuck with my JP drain...which was hardly 'flowing' yesterday.  I ended up riding the motorized wheelchair/cart for the remainder of the shopping trip...which literally saved me.

This morning when I got up, the tube was completely filled (altho not the bulb) with red fluid...not thick blood.  Also, I have INTENSE pain in the middle (where the main incision is) and to the R of that, where I felt the pain yesterday.  The ENTIRE mid-section hurts to touch.  It didn't yesterday before my outing.

QUESTION: Does this sound like I actually ripped or pulled something, or that I might have just overdone it?  I have been on my butt/back all day, still with pain.  The tube has not drained into the bulb, so I assume that there is not much more to drain from this expedition of mine.

I was so stupid to go out, but I was SO INCREDIBLY BORED!!!

Liz

pepsi98
on 11/29/08 8:59 pm - Norwich, CT
On November 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM Pacific Time, Lizzie wrote:

Howdy!  I'm 9 days out from open hernia & revision surgery.  This question goes out to anyone who has had the same.

Yesterday (8 days out) my folks and hubby took me out to Costco, just to get off my bed/recliner and into some civilization and sunshine.  I didn't walk too far, because I have little stamina to do so yet.  My abdomen pulls very much.

After "walking" (hunched like a monkey), while hanging on to the cart, for just about 5 minutes, I felt almost a "pull" in my R side, where I estimate the revision surgery was.  (I might say that I am still stuck with my JP drain...which was hardly 'flowing' yesterday.  I ended up riding the motorized wheelchair/cart for the remainder of the shopping trip...which literally saved me.

This morning when I got up, the tube was completely filled (altho not the bulb) with red fluid...not thick blood.  Also, I have INTENSE pain in the middle (where the main incision is) and to the R of that, where I felt the pain yesterday.  The ENTIRE mid-section hurts to touch.  It didn't yesterday before my outing.

QUESTION: Does this sound like I actually ripped or pulled something, or that I might have just overdone it?  I have been on my butt/back all day, still with pain.  The tube has not drained into the bulb, so I assume that there is not much more to drain from this expedition of mine.

I was so stupid to go out, but I was SO INCREDIBLY BORED!!!

Liz

If there is tenderness, redness and warmth then there may be an infection brewing.  If it were me, I would call the MD and have him take a look at it.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

mew6495
on 11/30/08 12:17 am - MI
 Hi Lizzie,

After my revision surgery with Dr. S.  I was out the very next day walking and getting around as much as I could to promote healing.  I to would get the "pulling" in the abdomen that you mention but on the left side rather then the right.  I also had a hernia repair and I thought this was on the right side of the incision as I sometime could feel pulling there as well.  What made me think the hernia was on the right was because I have been in contact with another ERNYer who did not have the hernia repair and she had mentioned that she sometimes got the "pulling" feeling in her abdomen and that it was on the left hand side same area as mine so I took it that this was where the intestinal conversion was made.  Hmmph!  Could be an interesting question for the good Dr.  

At any rate, I ended up asking Dr. S about it during one of my calls to him, he asked me a few questions and then indicated that he thought it was part of the healing process.  But he wanted me to give him a call back in a day or so if it DID NOT go away.  I would suggest you give him a call and discuss the situation with him.  If nothing else it will put your mind at ease.  He is always willing to take the time to talk to you.  If it is getting worse or not getting any better then I would call him right away and get it looked at.  Just doesn't seem like a bit of walking would hurt it that much. Now if you were lifting that could be a different story.

Don't mess around with it.  Take it seriously.  Remember none of us are doctors on this forum and if your body is giving you a lot of pain it is trying to tell you something is wrong!

Good luck.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/08 3:28 am - Phx, AZ
Thanks a bunch for your reply.  After sleeping for almost 10 hours, I awoke feeling much better... the skin didn't hurt to the touch, and I only have the one place (R) that hurts when I am up much.  I do some walking.  Am building up the stamina.  It feels good to be able to ALMOST stretch when I awake too.  That is GOOOOOOD! 

In retrospect, I think I just overdid it, and will just work up to the next outing. 

Thank you thank you thank you.

Lizzie
Most Active