Revision Scars?

Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/29/08 3:21 pm
I tried to search but could really find my answer????? Maybe I'm not searching correctly. Well anyway..... Did your Dr use the same incision spots for your revision?

I currently have the lap band and have 5 scars and was wondering if I get a revision will I have 5 more??  Generally are revisions done open or lap?

Highest weight- 262lbs
Lap band- Aug 2006 - 254lbs.
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .
Gained up to 271 due to the band
Got DS revision April 2010!! Current 145lbs
At 5'8 my goal was 160lbs but I surpassed that with the DS!!!!!!

tacoma2464
on 11/29/08 6:52 pm
I believe the only spot they use for revision is the belly button. I had a revision and the doctor opened other holes throught my abdomen. After I had my first surgery, RNY, 5 years ago, I had 6 small incisions that went away after I had my tummy tuck. Now with this revision, I have 7 small incisions and they are in different places. My revision was Lap.

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/08 11:08 pm - Haleiwa, HI
I just had revision from band to sleeve, and I have more scars.  My Dr did use my belly button incision and my old port incision, so that was good, but I do have another bigger scar about 2 1/2 inches long at the left of my belly button where he pulled the stomach out.  It should be low enough to be hidden when I get my tummy tuck after I am done loosing weight.  The rest are very small and should fade.  I think most revisions are done lap, but it will depend on weight, Dr, surgery type etc.

Good luck!
mew6495
on 11/30/08 1:12 am - MI
 My revision was done Open.  Since some revisions can be a higher risk some doctors prefer to do them open to be able to get a good idea of what is happening internally and to lower the risk factor.  My Dr. went over a previous scar and actually make it look better then before!
Hazeleyes922
on 11/30/08 2:11 am
My Dr is  planing to do an open RNY.  I understand it is due to safety reason and because he will be more comfortable maneuvering inside.  I can't help it thinking that I would really would like to have lap but need to keep working in admitting this is for my own good
I had the band done it lap and my incisions healed really quick.
please let me know what will I expect from an open rny. i know everyone is different but I would like to hear about your experiences anyway.
mew6495
on 11/30/08 2:26 am - MI
 I actually preferred it to be open for the higher risk and safety reasons.  My Dr. found so many things inside that he cleaned up and to be honest with you, I am not sure they all would have been caught if  I had went lap.  

For me I found the open to be pretty easy to heal from.  Mind you this has been my 7th abdominal surgery, 6 of them have been open.  You will not be able to lift for several weeks, this means anything over 5 lbs.  I have a very high tolerance for pain so I found the pain to be very manageable.  Stay on top of your pain meds for the first week out and you will find you have an easier time of it.  One of the hardest parts for me was not being able to take a full shower the first 3 days.  Listen to your body, if you do to much your incision and abdomen will let you know by becoming sore or hurting.  You will move much more slower the first couple of weeks out but especially the first 3 days out.  Walking may be an effort but it will also help you heal faster.   If you have to cough or sneeze it will feel like your insides are imploding so this is normal should this happen to you.  Simple things like rolling over in bed or coming to a sitting up position will be difficult that first week or two.  I found putting pillows under my legs/knees while sleeping helped.  My only other suggestions is wear a elastic binder the first 3 to 4 weeks it really does help with the support and helps you move around better.   

Doing the basic things to take care of your self will make it better for you.  Good luck.  Let us know how you make out.
warmmorningsun1
on 11/30/08 3:14 am - Baton Rouge, LA
my MD used my same scars from my lapband..
Can't Weight TooLose
on 11/30/08 8:08 am
Thanks everyone for your replies!!
Highest weight- 262lbs
Lap band- Aug 2006 - 254lbs.
Lowest w/band 214lbs. .
Gained up to 271 due to the band
Got DS revision April 2010!! Current 145lbs
At 5'8 my goal was 160lbs but I surpassed that with the DS!!!!!!

latinasoi
on 11/30/08 10:04 am - Orlando, FL
Hello, I had my revision done by Dr. Marema on 11/24/2008.  I went laparoscopic.  I had six old scars from the initial surgey in 2005, he used one of them and I had 5 new ones, loaded with SUPER GLUE!!!!!!  At first I thought.... with all the things he has to fix???? how could he not be doing open surgery.  After it was all said and done, I'm kind of glad it wasn't open, I'm in enough pain already.  I do have a very high tolerance for pain, but this time around it was a bit more intense.  I am very happy with my 5 new incisions, also I have great skin for healing.  MY DOC HAS AN AMAZING TRACK RECORD.  6000ish SUCCESFULL SURGERIES. One death due to the persons age. Over 60 and not too healthy, may she R.I.P.

PS, I don't know if it's me wishing but.........I wore something today that did not fit 2 weeks ago, is it possible, so soon??????

Much love to you all
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/08 10:44 am - Orlando, FL
LOL.. I can feel your excitement about fitting into something which didn't two weeks ago!!  Well remember, it's been a week (or so tomorrow) and alot can happen in one week. 

Oh, so I ordered that Kymaro New Body Shaper.  We'll see how it fits and if it does the job I need!! lol
Most Active