Sleeve to Bypass

MarisaC.
on 11/27/08 1:30 am - Katy, TX
Well, I did it, I revised from the sleeve to the bypass.  The surgery was on Tuesday and I was released yesterday.  I dont have nearly any of the pain I had with the verticle sleeve.  In case any of you are wondering, why in the hell would she have to have a revision from the wonderful sleeve, well here is my story!  On april 18, 08, I had the sleeve.  I was 268 before surgery.  Since August until now, I have held a steady 235 (I actually weighed in at 239 last week).  Due to the fact that I only lost 30lbs in seven months, I opted out for a revision surgery.  I guess I was one of the few people the sleeve did not work for and having the Duodenal Switch would have been too much (costly and physically).  My goal is to loose another 50 to 60 lbs.

Its not so bad this time around.  I think its cause I already know what to expect! 
Marisa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wLuXBtV/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wLuXBtV/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
PekinSal
on 11/27/08 6:09 am - UK
Well done on getting through it Marisa! It isn't easy the second time round, even if you aren't quite so terrified of tubes and drains and stuff...

I hope it works brilliantly for you and you lose all you want to

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Ruth A.
on 11/27/08 4:30 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
I hope you have a good recovery, and glad it went well for you.  Keep us up to date on your journey.
libbyw
on 11/28/08 3:24 am - Australia
I'm considering the same after being the same weight for the last 6 months. With so many success stories with the VSG it's kind of nice to know I'm not alone. Best of luck with your recovery and the remainder of your wieght loss journey.

Libby
luvamom
on 11/30/08 7:35 am - silverton, CO
VSG on 09/30/08 with
my husband thinks i might to do this as well.  may I ask the cost, Dr, recovery time,  etc...

I am replacing my fat with jewelry.......  jewelrystarz.aurastella.com
MsBatt
on 12/1/08 5:52 am
On November 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Pacific Time, luvamom wrote:
my husband thinks i might to do this as well.  may I ask the cost, Dr, recovery time,  etc...
Am I reading your profile correctly---did you have the Sleeve back in September of this year and already thinking about a revision???
luvamom
on 12/1/08 8:43 am - silverton, CO
VSG on 09/30/08 with
On December 1, 2008 at 1:52 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
On November 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Pacific Time, luvamom wrote:
Am I reading your profile correctly---did you have the Sleeve back in September of this year and already thinking about a revision???
I personally am not interested, my husband thinks I might need it.    Reason he feels this was is... a very old friend of his had the bypass done 7 years ago and lost 305 lbs  (her loss is more than my highest high)  He thinks she has TOTAL sucess with WLS.

thanks

MsBatt
on 12/1/08 1:07 pm
Someone with over 300 pounds to lose is going to need more help than someone with only 100 pounds to lose. You appear to be doing quite well with your Sleeve.

But, if you SHOULD need more help in the future, I think you'd be better served to keep your Sleeve intact and add on the intestinal part called the DS.
luvamom
on 12/1/08 4:38 pm - silverton, CO
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Can you tell me more about DS... never heard of it

MsBatt
on 12/1/08 10:33 pm
Here's a link to the DS board here at OH:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/

With your Sleeve, you've already got the stomach portion of the DS. The intestinal portion is similar to that of the RNY/gastric bypass, but instead of the intestine being attached to the stomach (or 'pouch', in the true gastric bypass) via a man-made hole or stoma, it's still attached via the pylorus. This means no dumping, no strictures, no stomal ulcers, etc. The 'Y' begins about half-way down the duodenum, just below the pylorus but above the common bile duct. From there on down, it's basically a distal RNY. It targets the absorption of fat, and has been shown to give the very best long-term results regarding excess weight lost and kept off.
Most Active