My Revision- Band to RNY

tuckermn04
on 11/25/08 4:58 pm

I just thought I would post my story, in the hopes that it might help someone who is going through what I have in the past. 

I got my lap-band in March of 2004, at 330lbs.  I had lost 50 on my own, while going through the process.  The first year and a half went great- I lost 100 more pounds with just a few fills and really felt great, only being 50lbs from my goal. 

In the fall of 2005, my band gradually started tightening on its own for some reason.  I think ignored it, thinking it would go away in time.  It didn't.  By Feb of 06, it had gotten so tight I couldn't swallow my own spit.  I bit the bullet and went back to my surgeon, who did an upper gi and found that my band had prolapsed.  They recommended a complete unfill, to let my stomach heal and the band go back into place. 

That scared the crap out of me, and I decided to try to lose the rest without a fill.  I didn't lose anymore, but I didn't gain anything either.  Until about a year ago.  Suddenly I went from 240lbs to 280lbs in about 3 months. 

By this time, I was embarrased and ashamed, but I did not want to end up ober 300lbs again, so I went back to the surgeon.  (the first time since my unfill).  He did another upper gi and told me my band looked perfect- in the right spot and my pouch was the right size.  I got another fill and started losing again.  Slowly, 1-2lbs a week, but in the right direction.  Everything was wonderful for about 6 weeks, when the band started tightening again.  Back to the surgeon, and another unfill. They cycle repeated itself again this summer, which was when I really started to consider having a revision. 

My surgeon agreed that at this point, RNY would give me the best chance to get to a normal weight and stay there. 

My insurance agreed, and I had my RNY on Oct 31st.  It was a much longer and much much more painful surgery than I expected- nothing like my banding sugery.  When they opened me up, they found that the band was only being held in place by a few pieces of scar tissue, so that wasn't hard to remove- it was the port that took a long time as it was also surrouded by scar tissue. 

I've since lost 20lbs, and am doing pretty good.  It is amazing to me to never be hungry.  I know I'm still a very recent RNY'r, but for those who's bands aren't working, or who are tired of fighting with it, I highly recommend looking into a different surgery. 

Melissa
10/31/08
284/264/1??

NeedhamGal
on 11/25/08 7:25 pm - MA
Hi Melissa, you aren't alone.  They really need to open up a forum here for lap band conversions for thre are a bunch of us. Variety of reasons, mostly as you say...band not cooperating.
You post resonated..I too had good success with the band and then I had the tightening. then it sprung a leak somehwere. I gained weight and felt terribly physically and mentally. I had the RNY on July 8th and I have lost 55 pounds since...I am approaching my lowest band weight and I am hoping ot loose even more. 
Have a great thanksgiving....I am sure after your adventure (and mine) who cares about the food...just enjoy the company!

Joan
Hondurian Queen
on 11/26/08 7:04 am - BOSTON, MA
melissa I know to well what you are talking about i also weighed 330lbs had my band placed in 2006 of july lost 86lbs with it and then kept having series of fills and unfills because I could not even swallow my own spit and this became tiresome until the end of 2007 I decided to make a change and I have I had my RNY done june2,2008 and I have ppassed my lowest weight with the band matter of fact I am the lowest I can remember being in my adult life I weigh 226lbs and I love it I wish you much success on your journey it is amazing

babsintx
on 11/26/08 11:40 am - GA
Hi Melissa,

Congratulations on a successful reision. I am a band to sleeve patient. Its really hard to lose so much weight and then regain it. Thats what happened to me also. I love my life with the sleeve. I simply cannot eat much so I pick healthy food and have done well in relosing the weight. I exceeded my losses with the band and I am a few pounds from goal.

Babs

MARCIAM
on 11/26/08 1:38 pm - Sayville, NY
I too had to have my band out and a revision to RNY.  There are many of us here on OH...
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

cuppyb
on 11/28/08 12:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
 Completely understand, I too started off great and then my port had to be moved from the right to the left.  One I had an unfill it was a problem and I had to be filled and unfilled several times. 

On October 28th I had my band removed and got an RNY and am down 20 lbs already.  Feeling great and so glad to not be pb'g every time I eat.  

Good luck on your journey.

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Madcow
on 11/29/08 1:19 am - MA
I am another one.  I started off at 240 in January/2006 when I got my band.  I got down to 144 but was way too tight the whole time - always pb'ing and being miserable.  My esophagus stretched out and I had lots of swallowing problems.    My band was emptied in November 2007 and I started gaining weight.  Changed doctors and finally had a revision, band removed, hernia repaired and bypass done in September 2008.  At the time of my surgery I was up to 200 pounds again.  Now I weigh 168 and I'm doing much better.  Eating is so much easier and I am feeling alot better.

The surgeon said my band was in great shape still and I didnt have much scarring or anything but the swallowing was the problem.

240/140/138
Brittwoman
on 11/30/08 12:56 am - West Babylon, NY
Welcome to the band revision club Was the BEST thing I ever did loosing the band!!
                  Weight loss since begining WLS journey -141lbs!     

** Ticker shows weight loss since Day of Revision Surgery **

Ms TJ P.
on 11/30/08 1:50 am - VA

I agree with everyone, one surgery doesn't fit all, if it's not working for you keeping trying until you find what's right for you. I only lost 35lbs with my band before I realized it had slipped, and I 'm so glad to be all done with the band and it's fills, unfills, and throwing up. After going through everything I wouldn't advise anyone to get the band, I just dont think it will last a lifetime without any major problems down the line.

Tonya

njanthony
on 12/2/08 4:15 am - Bloomingdale, NJ
Its good that people post these stories... I am having my band removed tomorrow, and having RNY done in mid-January... Almost six years with the band, I can't even remember what it feels like to not have it....
Most Active