TIRED of these HOOPS!

AphY Girl
on 11/25/08 2:54 am, edited 11/26/08 12:04 am
BOOOOO!!! UPDATE: HR said that the surgery WILL NOT be covered by BCBS!!!  I just want to CRY!
I spoke with Lisa at Dr. Procter's office to schedule the hernia repair - I allowed her to shedule it for 12/29... I also forwarded the email from my HR rep showing that my new insurance will NOT cover the revision and she said she would talk to Dr. Procter... HERE IS TO HOPE!!!  I also made an appointment with Dr. Procter for Thursday and TALK with him and see if we can get this DONE!

PRAY PRAY PRAY PRAY for me!!!!

OK - I was originally seeing Doctor Procter in Gainesville GA.  I have had an upper GI with small bowel follow through, a CT scan and an Endoscope.  I have also been evaluated by Dr Walfish to verify that I am mentally ready for another surgery.

When I have had my appointments with Doctor Procter, he stated that he'd do a revision and fix my hernia at the same time.  Now both his nurse and he call and tell me that he'd like to do them in two separate surgeries.  1- Fix my hernia.  2- Revision to ERNY or DS.  And get this.... step 2 wouldn't happen until next year some time.  I have already paid my deductible this year of $750 doing all the damn tests. 

I will be getting new insurance come 1/1/09 -BCBS of NE... and I don't even KNOW if they will even cover a revision and I will have another $500 co-pay IF they do.

THIS BLOWS!  Guardian, my current insurance, WILL cover the revision and hernia repair.  I'm so sad - doesn't look like I can do anything about it now. 

I called BCBS of NE and we aren't in there system yet so that can't even tell me if it will be covered.  I just don't understand... why in hell would he want to do it in two separate surgeries?  I have no stomach muscles now because of these surgeries and that is KILLING my back, per my ortho doc.  I don't want to be cut open 2 more times.  I want to get it all done at once.

I saw that Dr. Husted is in KY now... I live in GA so it isn't too far.  I have sent him my medical records and have a phone consultation with him on 12/16.  He doesn't take Guardian - but is an in network doctor with BCBS. 

I PRAY that my new insurance covers a revision (I should know soon, my HR rep is checking with them using the following code: Revision (43848)).  If they do, I think I will not even bother with Dr Procter anymore, even though I think he is an amazing surgeon.  I hate being dicked around... If BCBS will cover it; I will work with Dr Husted and pay the $500 deductible and move forward (getting all my testing documentation from Dr Proctor's office, so I don't have to re-do all of them).

Pray for me.... Emily
NeedhamGal
on 11/25/08 5:46 am - MA
I had a similar situation with my daughter..she had a medical testing to be done 4 days after we were getting new insurance at work. The work HR dept gave me the new plan number for the insrurance and I was able to call the insurance and they were able to look up the benefits by the plan number--and it did all work out.

As far as the 2 surgeries, I would ask the doc to do it in once procedure, unless he can tell you why really it should be done in 2 steps. If you understand his thinking, you might not feel as bad. If he knows your pocketbook will suffer..he might change his mind.

Joan
AphY Girl
on 11/25/08 10:41 pm
He says he'd like to do the surgeries lap - however, I have already had 3 open abdomen surgeries and I think with all of the scar tissue he is going to have to convert it to open.  He said if they do too much there is a greater risk of infection... I say if you open me up twice there is a greater risk of infection.  I have had 4 hernias repaired already... and just really want to have 1 final surgery!

I did tell him that I wont have insurance come the new year - he didn't seem to care.

Thanks for your input!
Emily
fiveholts714
on 11/25/08 11:16 am - St. George, UT
Did you tell the doc this?  If he knows that it might not be covered, then he should hcnage his mind.  I wouldn't count on a new insurance covering it.  I'd hate to see you disappointed.
AphY Girl
on 11/25/08 10:43 pm
Yes, I told him... just didn't seem to phase him.  He said the most important thing is to fix the hernia... well damn!  I have had this hernia for two years now... why is that more important then the revision?!?  I just don't get it!
Most Active