Questions for DS'rs about your diet

ladydi1970
on 11/25/08 12:50 am - GA
In the way that you need to eat about the first year, or however long one needs to loose the desired amount of weight, would it be safe to say you kinda...in a way...follow the Adkins plan?   In that you eat mostly meat (protein) and good fats?

Di
Mary_J
on 11/25/08 1:03 am
That's pretty close to the way I've done it.  I eat lots of protein, lots of fat (I don't differentiate good and bad, since only 20% of it hits my arteries anyway), and keep my carbs between 50-100.  I don't differentiate between good and bad carbs, either . . . I just go with net carbs and keep it simple.  The biggest difference between Atkins style eating pre-op and post-op for me is that I can, and do, have carb-fest days, and there's no serious punative weightloss issues.  I don't have to wait 3 days to get back into ketosis and losing, because the DS doesn't work based on ketosis.  So, several times a month, I have what some people (not me) would call 'bad days' and then just keep moving on guilt free!

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Vicki PNW
on 11/25/08 5:10 am
What I do is to eat protein first and then eat fruits when there is room in my real estate.  DSers don't differentiate between good and bad fats, as only about 20 percent of all fats are absorbed into our intestines.  That means that I could have an egg, bacon, and sausage breakfast every morning and still lose weight.  Proteins go down a lot easier when supplemented with fats.

I have all kinds of fats in my fridge and cabinets, including real butter, real mayo, real salad dressing, peanuts, cashews, vegetable oil, EVOO, canola oil, and butter-flavored shortening.  My fridge is also a real carnivore's dream.  One won't find anything low-fat or non-fat in here.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

mrsedaddy
on 11/27/08 2:40 pm - Spring, TX

Hi there!  May I suggest you posting this question on the DS board?  There are a lot of veterans with a ton of help.

Best wishes!

Tough times don't build character, they reveal character.

SW (12.1.08):  310
CW: 210
GW (whenever God gets me there):  160ish

Most Active