LAP BAND VS. RNY REVISION SURGERY

lalala2
on 11/24/08 11:29 am - Winnetka, CA

Hi All,
I don't normally post but thought I'd give it a whirl.  I had RNY surgery in 2001 and lost 110 lbs., now I've gained back all but 30 lbs.  I went to see a bariatric surgeon *****commended either an lap band over my RNY, or a RNY revision.  He said he was leaning toward a lap band depending on what the endoscopy and upper GI showed.  Well, the endoscopy showed that my pouch had "widened" (I think a politically correct term for stretched).  My upper GI showed a had a small hernia.  Now my quandry...lap band vs. RNY.  According to the doctor an RNY revision is much riskier than the original RNY, and the lap band is less invasive.  However, I have to be honest I've heard so many horror stories on this message board about failed and/or problematic lap bands its got me a bit freaked out.  I have a list of questions to ask the surgeon tomorrow, and just trying to have an open mind.  If anyone out there has had a lap band over their existing RNY I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks.

pepsi98
on 11/24/08 7:05 pm - Norwich, CT
On November 24, 2008 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, lalala2 wrote:

Hi All,
I don't normally post but thought I'd give it a whirl.  I had RNY surgery in 2001 and lost 110 lbs., now I've gained back all but 30 lbs.  I went to see a bariatric surgeon *****commended either an lap band over my RNY, or a RNY revision.  He said he was leaning toward a lap band depending on what the endoscopy and upper GI showed.  Well, the endoscopy showed that my pouch had "widened" (I think a politically correct term for stretched).  My upper GI showed a had a small hernia.  Now my quandry...lap band vs. RNY.  According to the doctor an RNY revision is much riskier than the original RNY, and the lap band is less invasive.  However, I have to be honest I've heard so many horror stories on this message board about failed and/or problematic lap bands its got me a bit freaked out.  I have a list of questions to ask the surgeon tomorrow, and just trying to have an open mind.  If anyone out there has had a lap band over their existing RNY I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks.

There are several people on this board who have had this done...I am scheduled to have mine done on 12/10 in Boston.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

francie08
on 11/26/08 7:25 am - W. Lafayette, IN
 Sounds like what you need is the duodenal switch revision surgery.  Go to the DS boards.  Those people are HAPPY with their surgery!  I haven't had mine yet, but I am in the process.
Good luck!  
NeedhamGal
on 11/25/08 12:57 am - MA

Hernias and the band don't mix well.
I had my band removed july 8th and converted to a RNY.
Joan

Most Active