Anyone have these problems? Did a revision help?

jrhd
on 11/22/08 9:06 am - Bagley, MN
Hello everyone,

I am three years post-op with a lap band, and I weigh 15 lbs more than my pre-op weight.  Here are some issues that I've been having:

*I've rarely felt as restricted as I should be.  Restriction has never lasted more than a week or two,and I live too far away from my doctor to get a fill every two weeks.  (I'm very rural- finding a closer doctor isn't an option.)

*I've had to have my band de-filled due to irritation on several occasions.  The first three occasions, I was ill (Once with very bad pneumonia, twice with just a bad cold) and all of the coughing and sneezing caused my pouch to become so irritated tha****er barely trickled through.  On the third occasion, the food I ate (almonds) irritated my pouch and wouldn't digest, which was strange, as I eat-well chewed nuts all the time and my nutritionist approved this.  I don't eat nuts anymore, but I'm afraid that some other food is going to trigger this reaction.  I also seem to just pack on weight between de-fills and re-fills.  This is obviously my fault, eating too much when unrestricted, but it seems like I'm in a position where I need to be un-restricted so much that I lose major ground.

*I have nausea almost every time I eat for a while after new fills, which leads to vomiting if I am not very careful.  I've had the band in long enough that I rarely get to the point where I vomit anymore, but every time I eat while feeling restricted is uncomfortable.  I am talking nausea after two bites, not nausea after stuffing myself.

*I've had sporadic insurance coverage that has caused me to not be able to afford fills from time to time.  I know that this isn't the band's fault, but I am wondering if I need to have a surgery that doesn't require me to be in at the doctor's every single month of my life.

So I'm wondering... does anyone else experience this sort of thing?  I am especially interested in learning if anyone else has to be de-filled every time they get a common cold.  Has anyone else felt that the band fluctuates between being too restrictive right after a fill, to not restrictive at all after two to four weeks?  Has anyone with these problems had an RNY, and then the problems mostly stopped?

I'm considering a conversion to RNY, but I'm incredibly worried that if I do this, then I will get ill and my RNY pouch will be irritated and I'll end up in the hospital on IV fluids because there is no way to un-restrict me.  I want to know if the follow-up with RNY gradually becomes less and less, as compared with the lap band.

I am also wondering if eating while having the RNY is less painful than eating while having the lap band, and if it's easier to have small bites of things like chicken and other high density protein foods.

Any advice is welcome!
JSIL
on 11/22/08 11:20 am
Hi, I am not sure what you should do, but I will tell you about my "band" experience.  I got my band in 4/07, all was good for a while.  I started to get stuck and that was it, I always had problems after that.  I decided to get the band removed in 8/08 and then on 11/7/08 I got the VSG.  So far, my experience has been really good.  I was torn between the RNY and DS at first, but then after reading about the malabsorption factor I was worried about my future, I am only 32.  So I decided on the VSG.  I did what I think was best for me, do a lot of research and you will know what is best for your situation.  Good Luck! 

PekinSal
on 11/23/08 4:29 am - UK
The band doesn't work for everyone. Only about half the people who have it are 'successful' in terms of losing and keeping off 50% of their excess weight, so we perhaps shouldn't be too surprised when they don't work.

I had mine removed and had DS instead, and you can see how well that's gone from the ticker below. The quality of life is much better, restriction is constant, and you can eat the right food to be healthy. Look into the DS too.

DS revision from failed lapband

MsBatt
on 11/24/08 1:39 pm
PLEASE, consider the DS. It will leave you with a smaller but still fully-functional STOMACH (not a pouch), and it gives the very best long-term, maintained weight loss.
christi59
on 11/26/08 6:43 am - Puyallup, WA
I had a stomach staple 15 years ago. It failed 3 years ago. I've gained weight. I had a lap-band surgery Sept 5 08. I've only lost 20 pounds. Can you tell me what a DS is? thank you. Christi
MsBatt
on 11/26/08 12:39 pm
The DS (duodenal switch) is a mildly restrictive, highly-malabsorptive procedure. The stomach is made smaller in a vertical sleeve gastrectomy---the stomach is cut along the greater curvature, and the excess is completely removed from the body. The pylorus is retained, so there's no stoma and the stomach continues to function normally.

The intestine is re-routed starting in mid-duodenum, and is similar to a distal RNY in configuration. You can see pics on the DS forum, here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/

Studies have shown that the DS gives the very BEST long-term results, with little chance of regain. We have a lot of revision patients on the DS board---come on over and ask questions!
(deactivated member)
on 11/24/08 7:05 pm - AZ
On November 22, 2008 at 5:06 PM Pacific Time, jrhd wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am three years post-op with a lap band, and I weigh 15 lbs more than my pre-op weight.  Here are some issues that I've been having:

*I've rarely felt as restricted as I should be.  Restriction has never lasted more than a week or two,and I live too far away from my doctor to get a fill every two weeks.  (I'm very rural- finding a closer doctor isn't an option.)

*I've had to have my band de-filled due to irritation on several occasions.  The first three occasions, I was ill (Once with very bad pneumonia, twice with just a bad cold) and all of the coughing and sneezing caused my pouch to become so irritated tha****er barely trickled through.  On the third occasion, the food I ate (almonds) irritated my pouch and wouldn't digest, which was strange, as I eat-well chewed nuts all the time and my nutritionist approved this.  I don't eat nuts anymore, but I'm afraid that some other food is going to trigger this reaction.  I also seem to just pack on weight between de-fills and re-fills.  This is obviously my fault, eating too much when unrestricted, but it seems like I'm in a position where I need to be un-restricted so much that I lose major ground.

*I have nausea almost every time I eat for a while after new fills, which leads to vomiting if I am not very careful.  I've had the band in long enough that I rarely get to the point where I vomit anymore, but every time I eat while feeling restricted is uncomfortable.  I am talking nausea after two bites, not nausea after stuffing myself.

*I've had sporadic insurance coverage that has caused me to not be able to afford fills from time to time.  I know that this isn't the band's fault, but I am wondering if I need to have a surgery that doesn't require me to be in at the doctor's every single month of my life.

So I'm wondering... does anyone else experience this sort of thing?  I am especially interested in learning if anyone else has to be de-filled every time they get a common cold.  Has anyone else felt that the band fluctuates between being too restrictive right after a fill, to not restrictive at all after two to four weeks?  Has anyone with these problems had an RNY, and then the problems mostly stopped?

I'm considering a conversion to RNY, but I'm incredibly worried that if I do this, then I will get ill and my RNY pouch will be irritated and I'll end up in the hospital on IV fluids because there is no way to un-restrict me.  I want to know if the follow-up with RNY gradually becomes less and less, as compared with the lap band.

I am also wondering if eating while having the RNY is less painful than eating while having the lap band, and if it's easier to have small bites of things like chicken and other high density protein foods.

Any advice is welcome!

You sound a lot like me on many levels.  I couldn't deal with fills either and was forever getting a fill or unfill.  Colds, influenza, sinus drainage, and allergies... all the above irritated my stoma and it would swell shut.

Restriction.. it's like peeing in the wind.  It comes and goes at a whim.  One day I could eat a whole steak and the next day I couldn't ge****er down.

It sounds like after care is a big issue for you.  With a band or bypass you are looking at aftercare for the rest of your life.  You are looking at taking supplements for the rest of your life with labs to make sure you are taking enough supplements.

Have you considered a sleeve?  Weight loss is just as good as with bypass at the end of 5 years but without a majority of the risks and complications and there is no follow up medical care.

The band is  hard, and it sucks.  There is no way around that. :o(

Hope you get this resolved quickly.

ladydi1970
on 11/24/08 9:11 pm - GA
In my personal opinion...(and they are like butts, everyone has one! ) I'm going w/the DS.

I had RNY done 9 years ago, and I'm managed to stretch my pouch.  Like you, some days I can eat a whole sandwich, and other days I can only eat 3/4 of it.

For me, I'm praying for a 2nd chance.  I need the malabsorption as well as the restriction.

From what I understand with the DS (someone will correct me if I'm wrong...) you have to take your vit. faithfully as well as have labs done 1-2 times a year (right?) to make sure your getting what you need.

Which isn't much different than with RNY.  However, since your stomach works more naturally with the DS you don't have the dumping that you do with RNY.  And I STILL have that.  Sometimes if I eat too early in the morning, I will dump.  Doesn't matter what it is.  Beef, bacon, eggs...whatever.  But if I wait until around 10 am, I'm good.

There will always be trigger things for everyone, it's amazing how bodies protect, or react to what WE do to IT.

DS seems to have the best outcome long term.  I didn't go through all of what I did, to only lose and keep off 18% of EWL.  (Although most of the regain is of my own doing).

DS isn't fool proof, but for me, I think it will be my saving grace, and give me the 2nd chance I need to get and keep myself healthy.

Which ever one you choose, do yourself a favor.  LEARN to LOVE water.  LEARN to LOVE at least walking every single day, rain or shine, and LEARN the proper way of eating during your "honeymoon" period so when it's over, it's just a natural way of eating.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Di
PekinSal
on 11/24/08 11:18 pm - UK
On November 25, 2008 at 5:11 AM Pacific Time, ladydi1970 wrote:
In my personal opinion...(and they are like butts, everyone has one! ) I'm going w/the DS.

I had RNY done 9 years ago, and I'm managed to stretch my pouch.  Like you, some days I can eat a whole sandwich, and other days I can only eat 3/4 of it.

For me, I'm praying for a 2nd chance.  I need the malabsorption as well as the restriction.

From what I understand with the DS (someone will correct me if I'm wrong...) you have to take your vit. faithfully as well as have labs done 1-2 times a year (right?) to make sure your getting what you need.

Which isn't much different than with RNY.  However, since your stomach works more naturally with the DS you don't have the dumping that you do with RNY.  And I STILL have that.  Sometimes if I eat too early in the morning, I will dump.  Doesn't matter what it is.  Beef, bacon, eggs...whatever.  But if I wait until around 10 am, I'm good.

There will always be trigger things for everyone, it's amazing how bodies protect, or react to what WE do to IT.

DS seems to have the best outcome long term.  I didn't go through all of what I did, to only lose and keep off 18% of EWL.  (Although most of the regain is of my own doing).

DS isn't fool proof, but for me, I think it will be my saving grace, and give me the 2nd chance I need to get and keep myself healthy.

Which ever one you choose, do yourself a favor.  LEARN to LOVE water.  LEARN to LOVE at least walking every single day, rain or shine, and LEARN the proper way of eating during your "honeymoon" period so when it's over, it's just a natural way of eating.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Di
Di

You're right - vitamins every day, plenty of water like you say, protein first!

I was told to get blood tests every 3 months for the first year, every 6 months the second year, then yearly.

I sympathise with the dumping thing - I used to be diabetic and hated that feeling. You don't get it with the DS though, although many people (me included) get gas aversion therapy for the carbs instead!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

jrhd
on 11/25/08 8:21 am, edited 11/25/08 8:23 am - Bagley, MN
Thank you!  It was nice to learn that I'm not the only one who has experienced pouch irritation from getting sick.  I have an appointment to see Dr. Buchwald at the University of Minnesota Fairview Hospital on January 21.    I am starting to lean toward DS, but this doctor also does RNY and some other things, so I can discuss all of it.  I have a few more questions, so if anyone has an answer, that would be great:

*Is it harder to pass the psych evaluation for a revision than for an initial surgery?  I had to have 3 appointments before my lap band, and she wanted to talk about absolutely everything.  Her counseling also overlapped a lot with what I was discussing with the nutritionist, and she made me keep a food journal.  I'm wondering how many sessions you average before a revision, and what your psych person made you do.  Do you have to have an MMPI-2 again?  My last one was five years ago.

*I haven't been able to find this online yet, but are beverage/water restrictions a little less with the DS than with the lap band?  With lap band, you can't drink before, during, or for some time after a meal.  Is this true of DS also?

Thanks again for the advice!  I hope that Dr. Buchwald can help me to decide what's best for me in the long term.  I hear that he's very good.
Most Active