Pre-op diet question

Rhonda S.
on 11/21/08 10:00 pm - Bensalem, PA

Although my insurance does not require a pre-op diet, my surgeon told me that the best thing I could  do to reduce risk in my reversion from a failed VBG to a RNY is to lose some weight prior to surgery.  In the past,  I have had success losing [not keeping it off] with very low calorie diets like Optifast - I was wondering if doing such a diet before WLS could have a negative effect afterwards given that even with WLS I would likely eat more calories than the 800 or so you get on the protein drink diets. Perhaps its better to lose less weight but to get in the habit of exercise and balanced eating?  Anyone have any experience with this? I don't have a surgery date yet, but provided all goes smoothly I would hope to have surgery within the next 2-3 months. Any light anyone can shed on the topic would be greatly appreciated. :).

ginau
on 11/21/08 11:47 pm - mesa, AZ
For my revision  Dr S suggested a high protein diet . much like atkins. the protein loading will help you shed pounds fast, and  help you heal faster ( less down time after surgery.

loosing weight  helps to shrink the internal organs and makes surgery easier for the Dr.  Plus we all feel better  physically and mentally  when we are loosing .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/08 2:35 am, edited 11/26/08 10:59 am - Togo
A few days prior to the tummy tuck I had I ate lighter, focusing on fish, fresh fruits, vegetables, and salads.

when the doctor came to see me in the pre-op room he was very pleased because i had loosened up the skin on my stomach making the surgery go better for him and ultimately for myself.

with this revision i had to show the doctor that i could follow a diet and thus would likely succeed in following the post op diet with him.  i did that by joining weigh****cher and losing 50 pounds. he was impressed with that and greatly pleased that his efforts were not going to be in vain with me. 

Rhonda S.
on 11/23/08 5:41 am - Bensalem, PA

Thanks!  I need to decide which way to go quickly.  I am falling into the t"his is the last time I'll ever have this"" thing.  I found myself eating something I gave up long ago on the sorry rationalization that I won't get to have this again.  I want to/need to  change my thinking around food.  I don't know that I'll ever think of it as purely "fuel" but I know its not the be all, end all either.
Most Active