Upper GI didn't go well today

tnwalkersu
on 11/20/08 8:53 am - Somerville, TN
I had an Upper GI today as a requirement for my revision, plus I was having some problems eating.  When they did the first scan the doctor asked me if I had a band in now?  And when I said yes, I heard her say, "This doesn't look good!"  My heart just fell.  I got a glance of the screen and since I knew what it was suppose to look like, I knew I was in trouble.  You could see the port and the tubing but you couldn't see the band.  All you could see was stomach.  I'm afraid that the band might have eroded into the stomach.  I just have to wait till the doctor gets the report.  I am so nrevous.  I only want to have one surgery, not two.  I hope to get my insurance approval before I have to get the band out.  Has anyone else had something like this?

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Kristin19855
on 11/20/08 11:09 am
I haven't had an upper GI yet, but i know it's coming soon. I'm afraid mine might look the same way. How long have you been banded? Do you have any symptoms or have you had complications?
tnwalkersu
on 11/21/08 4:48 am - Somerville, TN
I've been band for 2 yrs and it failed 6 months ago.  The problems I'm having are like when my band was too tight.  It hurts to eat with the pain in the chest followed by vomiting.  If my band wasn't empty I would say that I am too tight.  I don't if the radiologist couldn't see the band or she saw something else.  It was just when she said, This doesn't look good, it really scared me.

Ruth A.
on 11/21/08 7:08 pm - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Oh how horrid!  I know it's easy to say but try not to worry until you have spoken to the doctor and have more information.  That way, you can deal with facts rather than scary thoughts and what if's.

Please let us know when you hear more.  How long til you see the doctor?

Ruth
Ruth S.
on 11/22/08 12:11 pm - Orlando, FL
Were u awake during your Upper GI??? I've had several and never was I awake. The most recent one I awoke during the middle and was fighting the dr or whoever cause I could feel that thing in my throat!!!! Or did u see pics afterwards...I've had those..Just curious. I've heard after about 5 years the band could start eroding..best of luck to you.

tnwalkersu
on 11/24/08 3:15 am - Somerville, TN
What you had was a endoscope and they do sedate for that.  An upper GI is like having x-rays where you drink the nasty tasting barium drink.  I talked to my doctor today and luckily they didn't see anything wrong with my band.  Everything is in place so I don't know why I have been having the problems I have been having.  So now I have to get my consult and wait to get approved.

Most Active