Malabsorption vesus Restriction

ShayZ
on 11/20/08 4:19 am - Somewhere, TX

Good morning, I am hoping that some of you can help me.  For a while now I have been investigating several bariatric doctors for a revision (something I didn't do the first time and around and realize what a mistake that was) however I haven't been happy with most of the doctors I have seen here in the DFW area.  One tried to push the stomaphyx on me before doing any tests at all.  Another though informative; left me feeling guilty about the weight regain and I actually cried the entire 64 miles back from his office and yet a third admitted to never doing the revision I was interested in however he would "try me out" of course it wouldn't be covered by insurance.  So I was looking at going to Phoenix to Dr. S. and haven't completely ruled it out.  My primary doc asked me to see one more doc in this area and gave me a name.  I haven't gone to who she suggested but saw an advertisement for Dr. Alexander and decided to make an appointment.  Well to make a long story longer; I am totally fascinated with his idea of how revisions need to be done and the techniques he uses to do them.  So here are my questions (I know you are thinking "finally!!!!) Has anyone used Dr. Alexander for revisions? Secondly which school of thought do you prescribe to which causes more successful weight loss, malabsorption or restriction?

Deanne K.
on 11/20/08 8:07 am - Tucson, AZ
Shay,
Malabsorption usually allows people to keep weight loss off.  When my restriction was gone with my RNY that is when I started to gain weight.  I can only tell you the Dr. Schlesinger is great and if you have questions for any of us, let us know.
Deanne
PekinSal
on 11/21/08 5:05 am - UK
When I had the band I couldn't lose weight even when restricted - I was useless at following rules, and there were no consequences (apart from staying fat)

My revision surgeon said I needed malabsorbtion as well, and I think he was right - effectively your body takes some of the pressure off you, and although you eat 100 calories only 50 of these say will actually reach your hips...

So I'd say if you were good at dieting you're more likely to be ok with just restriction. I need all the help I can get - the malabsorbtion has helped me lose weight and will hopefully help me keep it off when i reach goal

DS revision from failed lapband

ginau
on 11/21/08 11:57 pm - mesa, AZ
Shay

O.k. I will chime in too. Restriction implies that that  the dr would reduce your stomach to a smaller pouch. Beware- this could stretch out again. or  the opening could stretch out and allow your pouch to empty  very quickly.  and then what are your options?   Question to ask your dr - will  he / she use the ring  on the stoma to prevent this from happening ?

Malabsorption  has issues too.  You will need to monitor  blood work on a regular basis. be vigilant  with vitamins, eliminate a lot of refined carbs from your diet.

I am an extended rny revision patient  of Dr Schlesinger's and feel confident with my choice.

** note ** Dr shopping is a "Good Thing"  as Martha would say. when you decide on the Dr - make sure to get a couple names of pts  that you can call and talk too.  you will get good feedback and be more comfortable with your choice.  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/08 11:11 am - Brampton, Canada
I had a revision to the Lap Band in /06 after having a VBG in /87.   Obviously you will have quicker weight loss with a surgery that has malabsorption but some like myself do not wish to deal with the issues it can cause.  So for me the Lap Band was great because it still gave me restriction without concerns of deficiencies down the road and the need for several supplements.

Best wishes on researching all your options...
ShayZ
on 11/23/08 11:27 am - Somewhere, TX

I have to admit to being ole "36" and wanting to get pregnant at some point so malabsorption is scary....I want be healthy but not at the risk at my having a child....I have never had any.....any thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 11/23/08 11:39 am - Brampton, Canada
There are many people who have had healthy babies post op after having all the types of wls.  The priority is to get to a healthy weight first and then do everything you can to comply with whatever you need to during a pregnancy for a great outcome and a healthy baby.
Mary_J
on 11/25/08 1:09 am
All I can offer is my own experience.  I had a restrictive only procedure (VBG) and a revision/repair of that surgery in the 80s.  Still fat in 2007!  Because of adhesion issues from my other surgeries, I could only get the malabsorption portion of the DS.  So, here I am, 13 months later, still with the same 'restriction' that got me to 320 lbs, down to 164 because of the benefit of malabsorption.  My volume (my stomach is still the same as DS) is the same, but my body now handles what I eat much more like a 'normal' person.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Most Active