Turned Down

Ruth A.
on 11/20/08 3:30 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
I've been turned down for revision - apparently, being obese is not fat enough to warrent revision according to this doctor (and that's self pay, nto even the insurance company rules)!!!  I have the option of either gaining weight to meet his criteria or ignoring him and finding a doctor who will listen to me and my difficulties.

Yes, I@m bummed.  So for the meantime, I am going to join a slimming club and do old fashioned diets.  Let's hope I don't gain like I have all my life and end up nearly 300 pounds again :o(
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 3:56 am - Togo
How much is your bmi? How much is your weight and your height? Do you have any co-morbidities, like hypertension or sleep apnea, etc? What kind of insurance do you have?

Please list more background so you can get informed feedback.

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 4:16 am - Togo
I just looked at your profile. You look tall, like 5'6" and in february of this year you weighed 173 lbs. you had weight loss surgery about 2 1/2 years ago. a rny.

a rny is considered the gold standard of weight loss. i had that also. at the end of my first two years i had lost 130 years and was a having a tummy tuck. i had a body that looked like i was a teenager afterwards.

i see you listed your foods for various days. they primarily included chocolate cake, hard candies, pasta, bread, potatoes chips, gingerbread cake, etc. that was the bulk of your food intake. after eating said you stated you thought the gingerbread was the cause of gaining weight. your right.

the biggest concern a bariatric doctor has in approving someone for wls is whether or not they will work with the surgery and thus his efforts are not in vain and neither is the insurance money or finances at a risk. 

if i was a doctor, based on the way you have handled your surgery, i would not do a revision on you. i am sorry to say that but you are not in the obese range and you are not working with the wls you have already had. your diet is not good and i see no mention of activity or improved lifestyle or exercise. you will not succeed because you are not working to succeed. it looks like you just had the surgery and laid back and waited for it all to happen. it doesn't work that way.

i am sure intellectually you will state that you know that but your actions show differently. 

Deanne K.
on 11/20/08 8:32 am - Tucson, AZ
It sure seems that you are a bit melodramatic with this post.  I do not want to start a war, but people come here for support and not to be condemmed.  Yes, we all need to look at what we are eating, exercising and take responsibility in this arena. 

Everyone needs to find out if there is a problem by going back to basics and seeing if there is a mechanical failure.  Everyone does deserve a second chance and some people I know, who were this person's weight or less have gotten revision surgeries and have been very successful.  It all depends on the Dr. and the reason for the revision surgery. 

Revision surgery is not to be taken lightly by any means, it is a decision between you and your surgeon.

I am not here to judge, but to support.  Can we please realize how harmful this kind of post is to people's feelings.  We have all felt and been demeaned in our lives, we don't need it here. 

Best of luck to you on your upcoming revision surgery.  Hugs
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 9:24 am
On November 20, 2008 at 4:32 PM Pacific Time, Deanne K. wrote:
It sure seems that you are a bit melodramatic with this post.  I do not want to start a war, but people come here for support and not to be condemmed.  Yes, we all need to look at what we are eating, exercising and take responsibility in this arena. 

Everyone needs to find out if there is a problem by going back to basics and seeing if there is a mechanical failure.  Everyone does deserve a second chance and some people I know, who were this person's weight or less have gotten revision surgeries and have been very successful.  It all depends on the Dr. and the reason for the revision surgery. 

Revision surgery is not to be taken lightly by any means, it is a decision between you and your surgeon.

I am not here to judge, but to support.  Can we please realize how harmful this kind of post is to people's feelings.  We have all felt and been demeaned in our lives, we don't need it here. 

Best of luck to you on your upcoming revision surgery.  Hugs
latinasoi
on 11/20/08 10:15 am - Orlando, FL
Well said, my sis is always scolding me for not eating correctly, but she's my sis. I'll get over it.  But you are correct, we are here to support eachother, not judge.  Of all people, WEEEEE the revisioners should be supportive.   So sad to see commemtslike that.It actually makes me mad!!!!!

Please people, let's remember when we were waiting!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/08 3:47 am - Orlando, FL
mew6495
on 11/20/08 10:49 am - MI
 GOOD FOR YOU DEANNE!  Couldn't have said it better myself!  

Support is so crucial to us and our decision, whatever the personal reasons that brings us down the road to revision.  

Ruth, you hang in there and remember just like anything else.....take what you can use and leave the rest!
Ruth A.
on 11/21/08 8:32 am - Letchworth Garden City, UK
Thank you for your support, and understanding.

I posted this when I was feeling down and wanted to vent, and the other persons posts did hurt me, even though I've been telling myself that their opinion of me really isn't that important in the bigger scheme of things.

I know 99% of people here on this board are very supportive and understand that we are not perfect.  I am overwhelmed by the love that has been shown from this unhelpful reply to my post.

Thank you to all - even the person giving 'advice and criticism'.  Without your reply I may not have realised how much support I really do have here!!!
JRinAZ
on 11/21/08 11:50 am - Layton, UT
On November 20, 2008 at 12:16 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
I just looked at your profile. You look tall, like 5'6" and in february of this year you weighed 173 lbs. you had weight loss surgery about 2 1/2 years ago. a rny.

a rny is considered the gold standard of weight loss. i had that also. at the end of my first two years i had lost 130 years and was a having a tummy tuck. i had a body that looked like i was a teenager afterwards.

i see you listed your foods for various days. they primarily included chocolate cake, hard candies, pasta, bread, potatoes chips, gingerbread cake, etc. that was the bulk of your food intake. after eating said you stated you thought the gingerbread was the cause of gaining weight. your right.

the biggest concern a bariatric doctor has in approving someone for wls is whether or not they will work with the surgery and thus his efforts are not in vain and neither is the insurance money or finances at a risk. 

if i was a doctor, based on the way you have handled your surgery, i would not do a revision on you. i am sorry to say that but you are not in the obese range and you are not working with the wls you have already had. your diet is not good and i see no mention of activity or improved lifestyle or exercise. you will not succeed because you are not working to succeed. it looks like you just had the surgery and laid back and waited for it all to happen. it doesn't work that way.

i am sure intellectually you will state that you know that but your actions show differently. 

Oh my gosh!  I just read that post and had flashbacks to high school when my cheerleading squad director publicly scolded me for choosing some crap food one time!  ......  But, you really didn't mean to come across all preachy and non-supportive and rude, right???

Cuz, this is a revision forum where bunches of us hang out to see what we can possibly do to succeed in spite of our broken pasts, imperfect presents and hopeful futures

that finger pointing at someone's face leaves 4 more pointing back attcha sweetie pie!

......if you were to jump over and read my profile; you'll find that I am almost the same height as the poster you chastised, and had the pre-revision weight equal to hers.  In other words, several revision surgeon's felt I could benefit from a revision and one great doc performed the miracle that has me healthy and below goal!

I say "good for her for continuing to seek a better qualify of life"!!!!

My guess is...... that's what you're after as well, right?

....softer approach maybe?

Bigg Holiday Hugggzzz to y'all!!!! 

Carving Turkey

Protein First!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active