When The Surgery Fails and Weight Gain Returns...

NotsoTubbyAnymore
on 11/17/08 5:38 am - MO
Question:

I only lost 75 pounds from my surgery (2004), and have gained most of it back. I have a doctor who won't return my calls now (Dr. Udobi of KUmed), and I'm concerned.  I've got a belly, and I am very aware of this - especially when sitting down.

What is happening to me? Could the other part of my stomach be swelling up? Could it be getting fed too? If I were to start back on protein drinks, would it make a difference? Can I still lose weight?

I don't have the insurance to get a revision, but I may look into a band at some point, though insurance is still an issue.

Just want to know what others are doing. I will not  be getting another surgery, and that's for certain. I wouldn't want one, I don't care who's at fault for it not working.

Ruth S.
on 11/17/08 9:20 am - Orlando, FL
You don't have on your profile what type of surgery you've had..so no one can really offer an opinion at this time.  First start at the basics..and go from there..also I would show up at the dr's office to face them since they are not calling you back.
Ruth S.
mew6495
on 11/17/08 9:40 am - MI
 I would suggest finding a doctor who is willing to help you.  It could make all the difference in the world!  I know I would now want to go back to a doctor *****fuses to call me back!  It's apparent he has no interest in your condition or well being!

It sounds like from your description above that you had RNY.  If so, when you find the "right" doctor, ask about a endoscopy and an upper GI.  These can determine the size of your pouch and if there is any other problems going on and the endoscopy would determine the size of your stoma.

If you want to try something "non medical" there is a eating plan that is called "the 5 day pouch test". It is designed to get you back to basics, help you kick the carb (which are very bad for wls) habit and get you back on track.  You can google it and it will bring up the web site.  The sites name if living well after wls or something to that nature.

Good luck to you.
SweetEvie
on 11/20/08 3:53 am - Bedford, TX
On November 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 I would suggest finding a doctor who is willing to help you.  It could make all the difference in the world!  I know I would now want to go back to a doctor *****fuses to call me back!  It's apparent he has no interest in your condition or well being!

It sounds like from your description above that you had RNY.  If so, when you find the "right" doctor, ask about a endoscopy and an upper GI.  These can determine the size of your pouch and if there is any other problems going on and the endoscopy would determine the size of your stoma.

If you want to try something "non medical" there is a eating plan that is called "the 5 day pouch test". It is designed to get you back to basics, help you kick the carb (which are very bad for wls) habit and get you back on track.  You can google it and it will bring up the web site.  The sites name if living well after wls or something to that nature.

Good luck to you.
Thank you!!!

i will look this up because i am having the same issue.. :(

278 PreOp/178 Current/155 Goal   

mew6495
on 11/20/08 10:28 am - MI
 You're WELCOME!  Let me know how it works for you if you happen to try it.
sonyadavis
on 11/22/08 5:25 am - townley, AL
yes i know about weight gain after a unsuccessful bariatric surgery..i only lost 75pds with the surgery known as Silastic Veritical ring gastroplasty which was done 12 years ago.now that i am having medical problems associated with my weight i am considering revision bariatric surgery. i have  just found out that Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Alabama will not pay for revision only a one time surgery...which is degrating... i was considering the lap band ove gastric bypass..which do you recommend? but now i have to pay for it....do you have any suggestions on how to deal with the insurance or any other route i could go instead of paying for it...which is an option..Good luck and God be with you...please anyone help if you can any advise is appreciated.
Most Active