Can you have the RNY AGAIN as a revision?

Fatfreedom
on 11/17/08 4:06 am - NH
I KNOW my "pouch" is far too large as I can fit a normal sized amount of food in there.

Has anyone had their pouch restored back to the size it was right after surgery?

A  lot of my regain was my own fault.  I probably stretched it by pushing what I could eat to more and more, and also by drinking high calorie sodas.

Yes, I am an idiot, but I truly think I have learned my lesson and would not allow this to happen again.

Is this possible?  I will not do the DS as a revision.  I am too scared and there is no surgeon near me skilled enough to do a revision.  THANKS!
tnwalkersu
on 11/17/08 8:00 am - Somerville, TN
As I said before, I know that your scared.  But surgery is surgery.  Even if you have your pouch made smaller, you still have to have surgery.  If you have to do it, please consider the DS.  It is the best of both worlds.  I have to travel 300 miles to Nashville to get mine and I know it will be worth it.  But if you are afraid of surgery then you are not going to lose the weight.  So come on girl, suck it up and get on with it.  We will be here to support you.  So, put your big girl panties on and just do it.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Fatfreedom
on 11/17/08 8:22 am - NH
On November 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM Pacific Time, tnwalkersu wrote:
As I said before, I know that your scared.  But surgery is surgery.  Even if you have your pouch made smaller, you still have to have surgery.  If you have to do it, please consider the DS.  It is the best of both worlds.  I have to travel 300 miles to Nashville to get mine and I know it will be worth it.  But if you are afraid of surgery then you are not going to lose the weight.  So come on girl, suck it up and get on with it.  We will be here to support you.  So, put your big girl panties on and just do it.
It's not about putting my big girl panties on, and it's not about being afraid of surgery.

It's about having a risky procedure done (riskier than a regular RNY or "virgin" DS) and possibly dieing from complications or having incapacitating complications and ruining the lives of my 17 month old and 3 year old.

It is about weighing all my options, and finding the right procedure with the best results for my situation.

If I wanted to jump right in and turn a blind eye to the risks then, yes, I would go right for the DS revision.  In a perfect world I would have had it the first time.  But, I didn't, and now I am researching the best options for myself and my family.

I ould never just "jump on in and do it".
JRinAZ
on 11/17/08 8:38 am - Layton, UT
Hey there,
I had a failed Rny and went through 3 years of researching the "right" revision option for me.  I have always loved the results that DS friends have had and for the most part, their complications seemed minimal.  But,  they had "virgin" DS's.  So, when I tried getting one for myself....I too had to weigh the risks....Not even a possibility for me.  I'd had 4 other abdominal surgeries and the scar scare to all surgeon's was beyond consideration.  .....  I opted to go for the fast revision with the least amount of risk.  I had an OPEN (went open because of the scarring as well as the need for a bowel obstruction fix)........Extended Rny.  That's where the bottom part of the Y is shortened for increased malabsorption.  The pouch does not need to be tampered with because the losing comes with the malabsorption.  Most pouches, even stretched, have some restriction; or at least as much as some sleeves. 

I have had oodles of side effects that I'd rather not have....But.....I consider it all trade-offs.  I didn't like the crappy stuff I was having "pre wls" either.  11 different medications, heart issues, insulin injections for diabetes, etc.  Sooooooo.......for some of us....the DS is NOT an option and yet well meaning Ds'ers will PUSH regardless!!!!

Good luck to you as you find your own path! 

I've been fortunate to find  a revision that got me to goal quickly and is allowing me to learn to live at maintenance for once in my life! 

I know I've chanted this many times before but......there are many roads that lead to the finish line!  

Hugggzzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Fatfreedom
on 11/17/08 8:50 am - NH
On November 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Hey there,
I had a failed Rny and went through 3 years of researching the "right" revision option for me.  I have always loved the results that DS friends have had and for the most part, their complications seemed minimal.  But,  they had "virgin" DS's.  So, when I tried getting one for myself....I too had to weigh the risks....Not even a possibility for me.  I'd had 4 other abdominal surgeries and the scar scare to all surgeon's was beyond consideration.  .....  I opted to go for the fast revision with the least amount of risk.  I had an OPEN (went open because of the scarring as well as the need for a bowel obstruction fix)........Extended Rny.  That's where the bottom part of the Y is shortened for increased malabsorption.  The pouch does not need to be tampered with because the losing comes with the malabsorption.  Most pouches, even stretched, have some restriction; or at least as much as some sleeves. 

I have had oodles of side effects that I'd rather not have....But.....I consider it all trade-offs.  I didn't like the crappy stuff I was having "pre wls" either.  11 different medications, heart issues, insulin injections for diabetes, etc.  Sooooooo.......for some of us....the DS is NOT an option and yet well meaning Ds'ers will PUSH regardless!!!!

I've been fortunate to find  a revision that got me to goal quickly and is allowing me to learn to live at maintenance for once in my life! 

I know I've chanted this many times before but......there are many roads that lead to the finish line!  

Hugggzzzz,
Thanks so much for this info.

Do you know if the revision you had can be done laproscopically?  It makes sense that they increase the malabsorbtion and that aids in the weight loss.  How is that different from a DS? 

Do you mind sharing some of the side effects you have incurred?  Currently, I do not have any awful medical conditions that affect my day to day living aside from the aches and pains of being obese.  I also suffer from anemia, but I have no pain from that.  Give those cir****tances, would you have had your revision?

Thanks for any info you can share.  I appreciate it so much!
JRinAZ
on 11/18/08 1:50 am - Layton, UT
On November 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:
On November 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Hey there,

Hugggzzzz,
Thanks so much for this info.

Do you know if the revision you had can be done laproscopically?  It makes sense that they increase the malabsorbtion and that aids in the weight loss.  How is that different from a DS? 

Do you mind sharing some of the side effects you have incurred?  Currently, I do not have any awful medical conditions that affect my day to day living aside from the aches and pains of being obese.  I also suffer from anemia, but I have no pain from that.  Give those cir****tances, would you have had your revision?

Thanks for any info you can share.  I appreciate it so much!
I"ve heard that laproscopic is possible with the type of revision I had BUT....part of the reason that it is done open is to save the patient from unneccessary lengthy O.R. trauma.  Open is fast, very visible for surgoen, he/she can clean up anything else at the same time ..i.e. hernia repairs, ulcers, blockages, etc.

Open is no biggie.  The incision heals quickly and the recovery may even be faster since the time under anesthesia is greatly reduced.  ORMV

YES I would absolutely do it over again!  .... "MY" personal side effects have been GAS, some runny stool (not nearly as miserable as the opposite problem I had before WLS), and some bad lab results.  I'm tackling all with gusto and am learning to maintain a small body. 

.....just keep reseaching!  You'll find YOUR perfect proecdure!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ruth S.
on 11/17/08 9:16 am - Orlando, FL
The Answer to your question is YES.  The surgeon can go back in there and bypass more intestine but that would not affect the pouch size.  I can tell of 2 endoscopic alternatives. My surgeon's partner did an endoscopy to see what my insides lloked like. He found my pouch 10-12 cm..which he said big and hated that term, and the stoma was also large.  He opted to do the schlerotherapy which is an agent to create scar tissue around the stoma and shrink the opening.  This is also done endoscopically and I did 2 sessions to make sure it was closed enough..he left the pouch the same. I still eat small and the thing is that I feel fuller so Im eating 3 meals a day which my surgeon always complained that I should be doing. So I'm working it. I have to just work more at exercising and I can make what he did a better success.  I definately am thankful than going to a extended bypass revision cause that would mean opening me up and long recovery time which I could not afford in time nor $$ since Im not at the same job.  See what other alternatives..are availabel. Should you want the smaller pouch..there is a new procedure called the Stomaphyx...but that depends if it offered near your area. I know my surgeon is one of the top few doing it. So this is a possiblity...I think my new surgeon didn't want to do it cause of an insurance issue (possibly) but what he did with the schlerotherapy has been sufficient for the moment...now the rest is up to me.
Best of luck and hope that you have other alternatives before going the big way.
Ruthy
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/08 9:30 am, edited 11/17/08 9:38 am - Togo
You are smart to be thinking about 'risks' involved. And you are smart to carefully checking things out.

Yes. I know now the rny can be revised to a ds, but i wouldn't go there. it is complicated surgery with cutting and hoping tissues heal together properly.

i think i am going to go for the lap band. it is much less invasive and much safer and yes you will lose as much weight but not quite as fast.

the lap band is quite restrictive and must be adhered to. not just in the first year or so, but everyday for the rest of your life.

the lap band is a device put around your stomacha and unlike the rny and other surgeries there is no skin that is can be stretched out.

once it is properly in place you will either succeed with it or be miseerable with it inside of you and you not cooperating with it.

it is also removable if you decide later on you want to undo it. 

so ... that's my two cents worth of advice. hope it is useful for you.

And now - hi ho silver away!  Did I say that?! oh well. ha ha. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/08 9:24 pm - AZ
On November 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
You are smart to be thinking about 'risks' involved. And you are smart to carefully checking things out.

Yes. I know now the rny can be revised to a ds, but i wouldn't go there. it is complicated surgery with cutting and hoping tissues heal together properly.

i think i am going to go for the lap band. it is much less invasive and much safer and yes you will lose as much weight but not quite as fast.

the lap band is quite restrictive and must be adhered to. not just in the first year or so, but everyday for the rest of your life.

the lap band is a device put around your stomacha and unlike the rny and other surgeries there is no skin that is can be stretched out.

once it is properly in place you will either succeed with it or be miseerable with it inside of you and you not cooperating with it.

it is also removable if you decide later on you want to undo it. 

so ... that's my two cents worth of advice. hope it is useful for you.

And now - hi ho silver away!  Did I say that?! oh well. ha ha. 

Not quite.  Your information is not accurate.

Yes, it is less invasive but no, it is not much safer.  Many confuse least invasive with safest and that is just not correct.

While the initial surgical procedure is safest - banding is not the safest surgical procedure long term.  I do think it is a good option for failed RNY, but not as a primary procedure.

Skin is not stretched out with any WLS.  The stomach is and the stomach most certainly can become dilated ... or stretched and it happens all the time.  Same with your esophagus.  Usually unfilling the band and going on liquids for a few weeks fixes this (unlike RNY) but sometimes there needs to be surgical intervention to repair the damage of a band.

One can be very compliant, do everything right, and still be absolutely miserable with the band.  Check out these very boards, banded folks are getting revisions left and right.

Statistics disagree with you regarding weight loss with the band.  It is the surgery that is the hardest to lose weight and provides the least weight loss of all procedures.  If your BMI is in the 30s you can expect to lose about 70% of your excess weight.  If your BMI is in the 40s you can expect to lose about 60% of your excess weight.  If your BMI is in the 50s or greater you can expect to lose about 50% of your excess weight.

There is a reason some hospitals, many doctors, and the entire country of Chile are not doing bands anymore.

I double dawg dare you to introduce me to 10 people that have had the band 10 years or longer.  You won't find them.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/08 11:39 pm, edited 11/17/08 11:45 pm - Togo
See my profile for ... a Mexican surgeon;  the entire country of Chile

Someone's race does not determine whether or not they are a worthwhile doctor, neither does the country he comes from.

On the forum here we help one another, without regard to race or nationality. 

A doctor is sought out because he is a skillful and talented doctor regardless of his ethnicity. 

There are many wonderful doctors out there and they are jewish, dutch, indian, canadian, italian, etc, etc. 

I ... dare you.

Your post is aggressive and racist and aimed at my post personally, not the thread that was originally started. Your post is flamming. I fully expect you to post again and those of a like mind ... to my post ... I would be pleased if your post was an apology but i am not expecting that. 

i am telling you now i will do my best not to get pulled into a flamming war of posts. Especially about racism or nationality.

Racism and discrimination are against the law. Remember? I suggest you focus your attention on bariatric surgery and away from the narrow angle you are presently focused on.

P.S. less invasive IS safer.

I wish you well.

Most Active