RNY to....??

KooKooKeri
on 11/16/08 2:59 pm - Reseda, CA
Brief history: Had Lap RNY July 04.  Lost approx 100 lbs.  Gained back 60-70 of it...and can't seem to lose it. 

Didn't exercise until about 10 months post surgery - and I guess it was too late.  I even ran 2 marathons (Dec 05 and March 06)....but never got to goal.

In January,  I was diagnosed with MS.  I underwent an experimental treatment in July (high dose chemotherapy at Johns Hopkins Hospital) - and came through with flying colors!

I'm feeling so much better - and now I need to continue to get my life back on track.

I am over 100lbs overweight. 

I had lap before - and REALLY DO NOT WANT an open surgery if I can help it.  I am calling a surgeon (or two or three) tomorrow...but am curious if anyone has experience with this?  I know Band is an option and I will read up more about that - but wonder what else, if anyone knows?

And of course, I want this NOW - as if I have surgery by Dec 31, it will be 100% covered by insurance and no co-pay (as I've paid my maximum copay for the year. LOL)....

Anyhow - any help/comments appreciated.

~Keri
Katrina B.
on 11/16/08 5:38 pm - Prestonsburg, KY

Hi Keri,

I would research all options first and foremost.. I think the DS is an amazing surgery for losing and keeping the weight off long term. You have more flexibility in what you're able to eat also.. If I could go back to 7/25/06 I would've opted for a DS definitely.

I am glad you came through that experimental treatment. You seem like you're on the right track to get this weight off.

Would you ever consider traveling for surgery?
2 GREAT revision surgeons:
Dr John Husted, Somerset KY (he may still do surgeries in Cali. too, not sure) http://johnhustedmd.com/

Dr. Eric Schlesinger located in Phoenix AZ. Lots of people on this forum have experiences with these 2.

Good Luck !

PekinSal
on 11/16/08 9:31 pm - UK
I bang the drum for the DS too, but there are other options as well for RNYers that you should research - depends on why you didn't lose it all, which may be something your surgeon could investigate.

Common reasons are enlarged pouch, enlarged stoma, or it not being enough for you in the first place. The first two have options, although some of them are a bit experimental. The other option is to increase the amount of malabsorbtion you have - if you're proximal to go to distal or extended.

The DS involves taking down your RNY pouch, restoring your natural stomach shape, then making it into a sleeve shape, reversing your RNY plumbing and giving you the DS rewiring. Its quite a big operation compared to the other options, and you need a good revision surgeon to do it.  

DS revision from failed lapband

tnwalkersu
on 11/17/08 1:33 am - Somerville, TN
DS, ALL THE WAY!!

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

KooKooKeri
on 11/17/08 2:23 pm - Reseda, CA
Do you know if the DS can be done laparascopically?  I really don't want to be opened up if I can help it.

I have an appt with a surgeon on Wednesday. 
http://www.labariatriccenter.com/revision_surgery.html

It looks he does stomaphyx for revisions of rny.  I have read mixed things about this...including that it isn't effective.  nor does insurance cover it...so it's out of question for me.  Found out today that my insurance does cover revision surgery if medically necessary.  It's funny, I wanted the DS when I had surgery originally but my doc didn't do it.

Would go back to my old doc - but 1. even though he is touted as great surgeon, I think he is an a$$.  and 2. his next appt isn't till dec 8th, which means surgery by new years wouldn't happen.  I'm also a little annoyed because I called to get my post-op report and they told me it would me a minimum of 15 days to get it!  (business days!)  Ugg.

I will keep looking...I made several calls today...will keep seeking info...

thanks for the responses!

~Keri
Katrina B.
on 11/17/08 2:43 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
DS can be done lap, it just depends on your weight, belly size, etc. Basically the same things it depended on back when you had your original surgery.

Good Luck

Keep looking!
lauralisi
on 11/18/08 12:53 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Hi,
I failed my rny too.  Had a stomaphyx last year and wasted $8,000.  I am planning a DS in the near future.  Yes, a DS, even a revision DS, can be done laparoscopically.
I wish you all the best.

Mary_J
on 11/17/08 5:23 pm
Personally, I think you're going to find very few revision surgeons who will do a revision lap, but I guess it's possible. Since any revision is riskier, you're going to want an experienced revision surgeon - the best list is on duodenalswitch.com.  The DS is well worth it, IMO, and the only option I was willing to take.  If I could diet like the lap or RnY require, I wouldn't have needed surgery.  The DS is easier to live with and much more forgiving (and has FAR fewer, and easier, rules for compliance).  Very few GOOD surgeons are going to have a calendar spot open before the end of the year - but I'd rather spend the 20% or whatever, than settle for anything but the best.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Katrina B.
on 11/19/08 7:45 am - Prestonsburg, KY
Mary, you make a great point.
A revision to DS is such a tedious/difficult procedure I believe most surgeons probably do them open. I would prefer mine do it open just for the fact it's such a big surgery.

I want to have a DS. Grrrr...

If I could give anyone advice it would be to RESEARCH which surgery you want, and don't SETTLE on the options your surgeon gives you.. lol

Hindsight is 20/20 right?

Katrina

Ps- sorry for the small rant :P
lalala2
on 11/18/08 9:46 am - Winnetka, CA
Brief history: Had Lap RNY July 01.  Lost approx 100 plus lbs.  Gained back all but 30 lbs of it...and can't seem to lose it. 

I went to see Dr. Korman at L.A. Bariatrics in late August, and he performed an endoscopy and upper GI to see if there was a mechanical failure.  It showed that I had a small hernia and that my pouch was widened.  We talked about the stomaphyx, but insurance companies are not covering it at the present time as they say it is experimental.  He recommended a lap band over the RNY pouch as a revision of the RNY was riskier due to a greater possibilities of leaks.  I have another appt next week with him to discuss all my options since he performed the endoscopy and upper GI, but I am at a loss.  I'm leaning toward a revision of the RNY as I have not heard great things about the lap band.  As a back up I am slated to attend a seminar in December with bariatric surgeon Dr. Peter Crookes at USC Hospital in Los Angeles.  Sounds like we are both trudging the same path...

I hope all goes well with you. 
Most Active