Remove the band or NOT?

vampyrekiss
on 11/16/08 8:09 am - Woodstock, GA
I've been having a lot of problems with my band.  First and foremost: I haven't been able to eat breakfast - in uh...9 months? a year?  I couldn't eat anything for almost 4 hours after waking up.  Even liquids would get stuck!  Have you ever been stuck on just plain WATER?! I have! Several times! Its a horrible feeling!  Another problem I was having - the band was actually preventing me from eating more healthy foods, and most of the chicken or fish I would try and eat would get stuck, so I would be miserable and not be able to eat.  Lastly, even though I was limiting my calories to 1100-1200 a day, and working out at Curves 3-4 a week, I didn't lose a pound! NOTHING.  In fact, I gained a couple!

So I met with my surgeon last Tuesday.  After telling him all my complaints, and reviewing my workout schedule and what I was eating, it was concluded that perhaps the band just isn't for me.  He unfilled the 1cc I had left in my band (I was filled last July with 1.25cc) and gave me a few options: 1) remove the band; 2) replace the band with a newer version that is not supposed to get stuck as much; 3) replace the band with the new Realize band; or 4) convert to RNY.  I went with option #1, and am currently scheduled for surgery on Friday, December 5th. 

HOWEVER....I've been having my doubts.  WHY? Well since being unfilled I've been able to do EVERYTHING I complained about!!! I've been eating breakfast every day since being unfilled: 1 cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of milk;  NOTHING has gotten stuck.  NOTHING.  I've had really dry chicken and NO sauce; I've had a whole wheat bun; I even had sushi with rice tonight for the first time in years, and NOTHING has gotten stuck.  And best of all - I've lost 4 pounds since going to the doctor's office on Tuesday!  I am SOOOOOOO happy with this unfill that it is making me think twice about having it removed. 

Right now I'm worried that all is well NOW, but what about 2 months from now? 6 months from now? a year????  I don't have time to think about it and see what happens.  My husband unfortunately lost his job and we only have 7 more weeks of health insurance (and most of those weeks will be during the Holidays, so I don't even have that), and who knows when he will have a job again with insurance...and if he gets it - who knows if it will cover this surgery or not?  He tells me not to worry, we'll pay for it ourselves if we have to - not to base my opinion of removing it ONLY on the insurance running out in 7 weeks.  So I'm a bit conflicted, but I'm wanting to see if this band will finally do what it was supposed to do!

Any advice? Comments out there from people who have been through this perhaps???
cuppyb
on 11/16/08 10:10 am - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I wish you the best, unfortunately only you can decide what is best for you.

I had problems since January with my band and just had it removed and RNY done on 10/28.  I would pb off coffee some days and other days had no problems.   It's no picnic when your getting sick at least 12 times a week. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

vampyrekiss
on 11/16/08 10:28 pm - Woodstock, GA
That's the hard part, making the decision.  I'm tempted to keep it and see what this unfill does for me...and then just pray that we'll get new insurance soon enough so I don't have to worry about it.  Yes, getting sick at least 12x a week is no picnic.  Me, I just wanted to eat breakfast again as I was starving by the time I was able to finally eat something.
PekinSal
on 11/16/08 9:10 pm - UK
I had a band for 2 years, and one of the problems was variable restriction - not being able to eat breakfast, not being able to eat at night because of reflux. There'd be a period in the middle of the day when I could eat good things, the rest of the time it was slidey food and I lost very little.

I wouldn't get too excited about your weight loss since being unfilled, your body will adjust. I put weight on shortly after being unbanded. You had very little in your band, so you don't have much wiggle room either. I'm not convinced that new types of band are any better than the old type - too early to tell.

I chose DS because restriction alone wasn't enough to make me lose weight. I now eat more than I could banded, graze all day and I'm on track to lose it all within the first year. I realise your insurance is a problem, but I wouldn't rush into any revision because of that - its worth waiting until you have insurance rather than get something else you might regret.

DS revision from failed lapband

vampyrekiss
on 11/16/08 10:29 pm - Woodstock, GA

That's what I'm scared of - that my body will adjust and I will once again start getting stuck on food again, or not be able to eat breakfast again.  I'm worried that this perfection that I have now (which is it still stops me from overeating / and I don't have to eat as much while still being able to eat anytime I need to and not get stuck on anything) won't last.

I'm tempted to wait and see what happens with this unfill and not go for the surgery.

PekinSal
on 11/16/08 10:46 pm - UK
Well while you're seeing how it goes, take a look at the DS and sleeve boards too. I have a sleeve as part of the DS, and it is much easier for me to live with than the band. It just stops me eating too much, period. I can have about 2oz of anything, then I'm full. I have to eat protein and fat, and it lets me do that. I had cold deli chicken for breakfast with cheese today, and pork steak for lunch. I hardly ever feel hungry either, because all the ghrelin hunger hormone has gone.

I get no reflux, and no variation in what texture of food will go down - I can eat eggs! Its much more relaxing, and helps me make better choices - ice cream will go down no matter what surgery you've had, but at least now it isn't the only thing that will go down!

You take your time anyway, see what options you have and which might suit you best.

DS revision from failed lapband

mrsedaddy
on 11/16/08 11:27 pm - Spring, TX
I was in the same place as you - actually had been there for awhile.  I had the band done in 2005, and it was fine until I started getting fills.  I just couldn't handle it  them, and trying to eat the protein etc that was required was impossible.  So, I just stopped getting fills and gained back all of the 40lbs I had lost. 

I started the revision journey this year, and decided on the DS.  I have a good friend with the RNY and she's had the same problems with food as I did with the band, but, coupled with the malabsorption it was worse. 

I would look into the DS as well.  Visit the boards, do your research. 

Good luck!!

Tough times don't build character, they reveal character.

SW (12.1.08):  310
CW: 210
GW (whenever God gets me there):  160ish

tnwalkersu
on 11/17/08 1:22 am - Somerville, TN
You know you couldn't lose weight by yourself before the band and your not going to without the band.  This is what I am going through.  My band failed and I am going to have the band taken out and get the DS.  But why not wait till you get your revision to take out the band.  It's not like it is going to hurt you to stay there.  With or without it you will probably gain weight.  But if you wait then you have to go through only one surgery.  I am so for the DS because I already know that I can't live with a pouch and the DS will let me eat fairly normal, the RNY won't.  I have to wait till insurance approves me but it will so be worth the wait.  Really think about what you want.  If you know you will get another WLS then cancel your surgery to remove the band and work on getting the revision.  Don't put yourself through the extra surgery if you don't need to.  Put the surgery off for a while and check into the revision first. 

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/08 11:30 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Your complaints sound exactly the same as mine.  I am now unfilled because I can't find that sweet spot, and I am having my band taken out and revising to the vertical gastric sleeve on Monday, Nov 24th.  I did lose a lot the first 6 months and then nothing.  I lost it the wrong way though because I was way too tight and throwing up all the time.  I believe the sleeve will help me lose the rest of my weight and help me maintain for the rest of my life.

Good luck on your decision.

Jessica
vampyrekiss
on 11/18/08 11:34 pm - Woodstock, GA
Thanks everyone *****plied.  I am really happy with this unfill - I'm still getting the full signal and still not overeating, and I managed to lose 4 pounds in the one week since I've been unfilled.  I'm eating breakfast again, which is obviously kick-starting my metabolism back so I can lose that weight. 

I went ahead and cancelled my surgery.  I'm keeping my band and giving it another chance.

:)
Most Active