Mosto Common revision surgery after GBS?

pepsi98
on 11/17/08 5:00 am - Norwich, CT
On November 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:
On November 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
On November 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:
I am starting my search in what the best revision would be for me.  I had GBS in 12/03, and am back to where I started.  I am wondering what has seent he most success for people after GBS?  Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
I had gastric stapling in 1982, lost 120 lbs and gained it back.  I started looking into revisions last year (so wish I had done it years ago).  I had stomaphyx in 2/08 which did not work and I am now finally scheduled to have a lap band placed over my old bypass on 12/10.

You really have to sit down with your MD and review your own particular issues and decide which is best for you.

Good Luck!
If you don't mind sharing with me-how did you decide on the lap band?

I have read such mixed reviews about it.  It is honestly the only revision I would consider at this point as the DS is just way too risky for me to do when I have two small girls at home.  I would rather starve myself than risk the complications of a DS revision.  I cannot do that to my kids.

I'd love to know how you came to the decision.  Thanks!
Well, I decided on the band for a couple of reasons.  I am now 52, weigh 320 lbs and have a Protein S deficiency (clotting disorder) so I am on Coumadin which is a blood thinner, I have had 2 replaced knees and a pulmonary emboli (before anyone knew of the Protein S).  At this point in my life I am very afraid to have a risky surgery.  Even though I have these plus diabetes type 2, hypertension and cholesterol, I'm pretty stable medically.  I would really hate to rock the boat with a risky DS, or a full revision with the possiblity of a leak.  Also, no one really knows for sure what they will find if they open me up, because my original surgery was so long ago and I doubt if records still exist, as a matter of fact I have tried to get records from the hospital and I was told that there are no records that old.

I've read on these forums that people have had a band placed over bypass and the ones I stay in contact with through PM's etc all seem to be doing pretty well.  One guy had a band over bypass in May and has lost about 40 lbs so far.  So, I may be a chicken, but for me the band is the way to go.  I have 1 son in college (graduating in May) and I want to be around for grandchildren someday!

I wish you the best as you explore which WLS is best for you!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 8:37 am - San Jose, CA
Make sure you learn about the DS as a revision surgery: http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/Research/safeoperation.pdf

Beware of getting upset if you start thinking you wished you'd had it in the first place.
Fatfreedom
on 11/16/08 8:47 am - NH
On November 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:
Make sure you learn about the DS as a revision surgery: http://www.dssurgery.com/aboutus/Research/safeoperation.pdf

Beware of getting upset if you start thinking you wished you'd had it in the first place.
I felt tha**** a long time ago!  Thanks for the info.  I am researching the DS but am so scared!
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 8:54 am - San Jose, CA
Scared of what?  Of the revision surgery itself?  That's appropriate -- it is much more dangerous than a virgin DS.

Scared of having a DS per se?  I'd be happy to answer your questions, and/or refer you to the DS Forum, where there are of course lots of DSers, but also quite a few DSers who were revisions from other surgeries.
Fatfreedom
on 11/16/08 8:56 am - NH
On November 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:
Scared of what?  Of the revision surgery itself?  That's appropriate -- it is much more dangerous than a virgin DS.

Scared of having a DS per se?  I'd be happy to answer your questions, and/or refer you to the DS Forum, where there are of course lots of DSers, but also quite a few DSers who were revisions from other surgeries.
Thanks.  I am scared of the revision aspect making it so much more risky.

I plan to make my way to the DS forum.  I am just getting back into the swing of things here.  I was a regular poster back in 03 when I had my GBS.  This is a greta place.  Thanks for your help!
mrsedaddy
on 11/16/08 11:54 pm - Spring, TX
Hello!!  I would definitely research the DS and the DS board.  I think you will find that it has a lot to offer.  Just take your time and make sure you make the best decision for yourself.

Best wishes!!
Tough times don't build character, they reveal character.

SW (12.1.08):  310
CW: 210
GW (whenever God gets me there):  160ish

tnwalkersu
on 11/17/08 1:41 am - Somerville, TN
It's alright to scared.  We all are.  I am in the process of getting a revision from band to the DS.  I found out the hard way that the band is not for me.  I don't want RNY because then I will still have a pouch.  That is why I want the DS.  I feel that the sleeve part will be better for me and I won't have to go through all of that vomiting and gagging I did with the band.  There are so many folks that have gotten the revision to DS and are really happy with it.  So be afraid, very afraid.  Being afraid is what make us think twice about something before we make the leap.  We will make that leap together and come out happier.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Most Active