Mosto Common revision surgery after GBS?

Fatfreedom
on 11/16/08 5:02 am - NH
I am starting my search in what the best revision would be for me.  I had GBS in 12/03, and am back to where I started.  I am wondering what has seent he most success for people after GBS?  Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
pepsi98
on 11/16/08 6:22 am - Norwich, CT
On November 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Fatfreedom wrote:
I am starting my search in what the best revision would be for me.  I had GBS in 12/03, and am back to where I started.  I am wondering what has seent he most success for people after GBS?  Any insight and help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
I had gastric stapling in 1982, lost 120 lbs and gained it back.  I started looking into revisions last year (so wish I had done it years ago).  I had stomaphyx in 2/08 which did not work and I am now finally scheduled to have a lap band placed over my old bypass on 12/10.

You really have to sit down with your MD and review your own particular issues and decide which is best for you.

Good Luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Fatfreedom
on 11/16/08 8:54 am - NH
On November 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
I had gastric stapling in 1982, lost 120 lbs and gained it back.  I started looking into revisions last year (so wish I had done it years ago).  I had stomaphyx in 2/08 which did not work and I am now finally scheduled to have a lap band placed over my old bypass on 12/10.

You really have to sit down with your MD and review your own particular issues and decide which is best for you.

Good Luck!
Thanks.  I am hoping to speak with my MD soon.  I am worried about LapBand for lack of weight loss.
KRWaters
on 11/16/08 9:19 am - Manteca, CA
Diana is so right. DO NOT check with your own PCP, do NOT check with any bariatric surgeon. They will probably tell you lies and half truths. If you want to know about the DS, come to the DS forum on OH and find a reputable DS surgeon to give you the true facts. Just any surgeon will not do. Check out duodenalswitch.com. At least know all the possible revisions you could have and you won't be sorry.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Fatfreedom
on 11/16/08 9:41 am - NH
On November 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Diana is so right. DO NOT check with your own PCP, do NOT check with any bariatric surgeon. They will probably tell you lies and half truths. If you want to know about the DS, come to the DS forum on OH and find a reputable DS surgeon to give you the true facts. Just any surgeon will not do. Check out duodenalswitch.com. At least know all the possible revisions you could have and you won't be sorry.
Why will my PCP who I love tell me lies and half truths?  About what? 
KRWaters
on 11/16/08 2:56 pm - Manteca, CA
Becaus 90% of all doctors, surgeons, etc will tell you likes about the DS. How bad it is, al the smelly farts and poo. Believe me. You must check with a reputable DS surgeon to find out the truth about the DS.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

pepsi98
on 11/16/08 7:10 pm - Norwich, CT
On November 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Becaus 90% of all doctors, surgeons, etc will tell you likes about the DS. How bad it is, al the smelly farts and poo. Believe me. You must check with a reputable DS surgeon to find out the truth about the DS.
People do not appreciate hearing that their MD's lie to them!  Your approach is abrasive at best and a form of bullying.  This forum is for the purpose of sharing experiences, asking questions and sharing information.  I haven't been banded yet, so I never answer any questions about anything related to the band because my experience is nil and everything I know about the band, I've learned from reading these posts.  When I am banded, then perhaps I will have something to share.

I respectfully think that you should back off of your efforts to push the DS or any other weight loss revision simply because you have NOT had your revision yet.  You really don't have the right to talk about this procedure in the manner you do.  When you have had your revision then I guess that would change.

For the gazillioneth time, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to types of revisions.  People's anatomy are different with all kinds of variables.  Stop your bashing of anything other than what you think is best, and give people credit that they can take care of themselves and choose the procedure that is right for them, especially since you have no personal experience to share.  We all have the options in front of of and can choose based on our own particular cir****tances.
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

Fatfreedom
on 11/17/08 3:48 am - NH
On November 17, 2008 at 3:10 AM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:
People do not appreciate hearing that their MD's lie to them!  Your approach is abrasive at best and a form of bullying.  This forum is for the purpose of sharing experiences, asking questions and sharing information.  I haven't been banded yet, so I never answer any questions about anything related to the band because my experience is nil and everything I know about the band, I've learned from reading these posts.  When I am banded, then perhaps I will have something to share.

I respectfully think that you should back off of your efforts to push the DS or any other weight loss revision simply because you have NOT had your revision yet.  You really don't have the right to talk about this procedure in the manner you do.  When you have had your revision then I guess that would change.

For the gazillioneth time, there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to types of revisions.  People's anatomy are different with all kinds of variables.  Stop your bashing of anything other than what you think is best, and give people credit that they can take care of themselves and choose the procedure that is right for them, especially since you have no personal experience to share.  We all have the options in front of of and can choose based on our own particular cir****tances.
I have to agree with this.  Your post to me totally turned me off and actually made me angry.

My PCP is phenomenal, and I can assure you she would not be spewing lies and "hate" about the DS to me. She would be looking at all possible options to help me and would weigh the pros and cons of everything.

I am sorry if YOU had a bad experience with your PCP.
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/08 9:32 pm - AZ

And you are at it again, spamming the boards with your nonsense.

There is no big conspiracy with doctors and DS.  Honestly, take meds, do something, get over it.  No conspiracy, no cover ups, no doctors being dishonest.

Tell me, if you don't follow basic Atkins with DS, what happens?  Hmmm????

YOU STINK!  That's what happens.  If I wanted to do Atkins I wouldn't need surgery.

Fatfreedom
on 11/17/08 3:51 am - NH
On November 16, 2008 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, pepsi98 wrote:

Good Luck!
If you don't mind sharing with me-how did you decide on the lap band?

I have read such mixed reviews about it.  It is honestly the only revision I would consider at this point as the DS is just way too risky for me to do when I have two small girls at home.  I would rather starve myself than risk the complications of a DS revision.  I cannot do that to my kids.

I'd love to know how you came to the decision.  Thanks!
Most Active