DS to Lap Band?

Jarvis123
on 11/16/08 8:48 am

Yes, because I "only" had 90 pounds to lose, the only way he would do the DS was the leave more intestine and a larger pouch,,,,,which was fine for 4 years.
Thanks,
Cindy

Kennedy12
on 11/16/08 9:32 am - Chicago, IL
I had my DS eight years ago and lost 165 lbs initially, which was great. Over the course of a couple of years and some health issues (not DS related) that I won't go into detail about here, I regained about 50 lbs.

I recently got back to basics with my DS eating and have lost 47 lbs of it already. It wasn't difficult. I started my tracking my food in fitday.com to see what the percentage of protein to carbs was that I was eating. Boy was that eye opening.

I then slowly started to up my protein and lower the carbs. In addition, I started making sure that I was drinking enough fluid every day, drinking 64 oz minimum per day. All that added up has resulted in 47 lbs lost in a few months.

I must mention that I am very physically active, but I was before I changed my eating habits, so I attribute the weight loss to the change in food mix.

Just wanted to offer as something to try before having another surgery. Especially since I had the same amount of regain that you are dealing with.

I wish you success what ever you decide to do!!

Jillian
Phase 1 Plastic Surgery Completed 9/9/09 with Dr. Siamak Agha.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/08 12:34 am - Brunswick, ME
Hi,

I had a DS on 9/20/00 and was able to lose 200 pounds.  I then began to struggle and gained 80 pounds over the past few years.  Also, I never had any of the "potty issues" or vitamin and mineral deficiencies reported by many DS patients.  I had a Stomaphyx last December in an attempt to make my sleeve smaller.  This was a total waste of time and money as it did nothing to provide any restriction whatsoever.  The doctor that did my Stomaphyx suggested putting a Lap Band over my sleeve which I seriously considered for about 30 seconds.  In my heart I knew the band wasn't for me.

I contacted Dr. Eric Schlesinger in Phoenix and explained my situation to him.  He was very skeptical that I ever had a "true DS".  The operative report from my DS stated that I was left with a 100 cm common channel.  When Dr. S did my revision on 10/30/08, he found a 275 cm common channel.  That is a big difference!!!!  As Dr. S said, my original surgeon was "too chicken" to do the right thing.  Dr. S removed an additional 200 cm, giving me a true DS.  I have lost 14 pounds since my revision and truly feel like I have a second chance. 

I wish you all the best.

Angie in Maine

Mary_J
on 11/25/08 1:16 am

Unfortunately I think your story is true for way too many post-op DSers who think the DS is a failure.  I don't necessarily think a seriously aggressive DS is always necessary, but a 275cc common channel IS chicken sh*t and is nothing more than an RnY with a better stomach arrangement.

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/08 7:15 am, edited 12/7/08 7:18 am - AZ
I had my original RNY in 1997. I lost 80 to 90 pounds and that was the end of it. I went and saw Dr Schlesinger to have a revision done. When he went in for my revision there was nothing bypassed in my intestinal at all. I thought all these years it was my fault and I screwed up royally. I paid for a RNY cash back in 1997 because my insurance would not pay for it. I hired a WLS surgery lawyer and lost . I am so angry at this doctor I would love to sue him but he is retired and I can't find him. I will get over it. Dr Schlesinger left me a nice 75cm common channel compared to the one I have never had. I have lost about 85 lbs now. Now I have the Extended RNY. I guess Dr Schlesinger could of have given me a 150 cm common channel but I am glad I got the 75 cm common channel. I guess surgeons are finding out that other surgeons really did not do want they said they would and the consent form I signed for a RNY. I wish I could have recourse in this matter but this retired doctor is probably having a nice retirement in the Bahama's some where......
Victorious_one
on 12/7/08 5:28 am - South Central, PA
On November 22, 2008 at 8:34 AM Pacific Time, ane1990 wrote:
Hi,

I had a DS on 9/20/00 and was able to lose 200 pounds.  I then began to struggle and gained 80 pounds over the past few years.  Also, I never had any of the "potty issues" or vitamin and mineral deficiencies reported by many DS patients.  I had a Stomaphyx last December in an attempt to make my sleeve smaller.  This was a total waste of time and money as it did nothing to provide any restriction whatsoever.  The doctor that did my Stomaphyx suggested putting a Lap Band over my sleeve which I seriously considered for about 30 seconds.  In my heart I knew the band wasn't for me.

I contacted Dr. Eric Schlesinger in Phoenix and explained my situation to him.  He was very skeptical that I ever had a "true DS".  The operative report from my DS stated that I was left with a 100 cm common channel.  When Dr. S did my revision on 10/30/08, he found a 275 cm common channel.  That is a big difference!!!!  As Dr. S said, my original surgeon was "too chicken" to do the right thing.  Dr. S removed an additional 200 cm, giving me a true DS.  I have lost 14 pounds since my revision and truly feel like I have a second chance. 

I wish you all the best.

Angie in Maine

I'm not the litigious type at all, but if I showed up with 275cm vs. 100 cm I would straight up sue somebody!  That is completely outrageous! 

Angie, glad you got things "straight."

It would be a great idea to check that out.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active