DS to Lap Band?

Jarvis123
on 11/16/08 2:47 am
I can't seem to find anyone who has had this.
I had DS 6 years ago. Lost 100 but have gained back 50.
I am scheduled to have a Lap band by Dr Ortiz 12/11

Any thoughts?
pepsi98
on 11/16/08 2:51 am - Norwich, CT
On November 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM Pacific Time, Jarvis123 wrote:
I can't seem to find anyone who has had this.
I had DS 6 years ago. Lost 100 but have gained back 50.
I am scheduled to have a Lap band by Dr Ortiz 12/11

Any thoughts?
I'm having a lap band put over my old bypass from 1982...so I guess lap band can be a good option for several different WLS types.

Good Luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 4:07 am

Have you truly been honest about your weight gain? No surgery is a magic bullet. I was banded and had major problems with it. Got sleeved this past tuesday and I am loving it. I have a sister who is 60 years old, got RNY 10 years ago. She has kept all of her 110 of 120 pounds off. She excercises and watches her portions. It is a lifestyle change. And we must be ready for it. Otherwise , we can have thousands of revisions and regain it every time.  Sorry if I sound brutal, but we must be honest with ourselves.

sally J.

Jarvis123
on 11/16/08 4:42 am
Sally,
I'm not sure what you mean "honest with your weight gain?"
As all of us on here, I simply eat too much and need help getting it back under control.
No intensions of "thousands of revisions"....only one.

jarvis
Katrina B.
on 11/16/08 5:32 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
Aren't you a ray of sunshine.... NICE.
PekinSal
on 11/16/08 7:58 am - UK
I've gone the opposite way to you! Had band, then had DS.

I'm not a fan of the band personally. Have you checked out the bandster board much? That will give you some idea of the lifestyle. I would worry with the band and DS malabsorbtion that you might have trouble keeping enough protein down to stay healthy - I often had problems with meat, eggs, chicken etc, but the cookies would still go down ok!

Have you talked to your original surgeon at all? I think its possible to get your sleeve trimmed smaller if it has stretched. If I could turn the clock back I'd have had a sleeve in 2005 rather than the band.

The other thing I thought, and I don't want to sound preachy, but have you posted on the DS board recently? Theres one lady there who didnt get given the right information on what to eat when she had her op ages ago, and has lost 30lbs again since getting some more up to date info. Might be worth a try - anything to avoid the knife!

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

mew6495
on 11/16/08 8:14 am - MI
 Hey Sal,

Always nice seeing your post!  Just to go back to one of your statements.  "didn't get given the right information on what to eat..."  You being a DSer....can you tell me what is the "right" things to eat in your experience?

Still figuring out my Erny and looking for pointers.
PekinSal
on 11/16/08 6:27 pm - UK
On November 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, mew6495 wrote:
 Hey Sal,

Always nice seeing your post!  Just to go back to one of your statements.  "didn't get given the right information on what to eat..."  You being a DSer....can you tell me what is the "right" things to eat in your experience?

Still figuring out my Erny and looking for pointers.
Hiya sweety

For DSers you have to eat 100g worth of protein a day, cos our bodies use only 50g of that.

The food you get that from shouldnt be low fat though - we don't absorb more than 20% of fat, and it helps things move through! Fat is our friend, oddly enough, so much of what I eat is covered in butter, fried in grease or dripping in olive oil!

Carbs though are more tricky - we absorb 70% of complex ones like veggies, starchy food, and 100% of sugars. So if you're drinking a lot of fruit juice thinking its healthy, you'll put weight on.

DSers seem to commonly get given the RNY diet advice - low fat, small amounts, chew etc, but these are all wrong for us. Eat as much as you can, as often as you can, as long as its protein and fat. Limit carbs to below 75g while losing. A lot of white starchy stuff gives me gas anyway - I had half a burger bun one day last week and I swear I was farting all night...

DS revision from failed lapband

Jarvis123
on 11/16/08 8:46 am
Sal,

Yes, my original surgeon would do it, but at a cost of $22K....I can't pay that. He thought the band might be a good option for me.
I was not aware of the "bandster board", I'll check it out.
My son (30y/o) and 150 pounds to lose, had the band in March....it has saved his life!
Thank you for the info and input!
Jarvis
Samaro ..
on 11/16/08 8:13 am

Since you had your DS 6 years ago it's possible that your original stomach was/is larger than they are doing them today.  The usual course of action that surgeons are doing now, when they revise a DSer, is to go in a tighten the sleeve portion of our DS.  You would want to speak with a surgeon skilled at revisions of this sort.

I am aware of one DSers who lives in Virginia who has a band with her DS.  I believe it was a revision but I can't be certain of that.  She had this done by Dr. Elariny.

Most Active