Need experiences w/a stretched RNY pouch

msgrneyes1970
on 11/14/08 9:45 pm - GA
K...I know everyone is different but I'm asking for experiences..........

Doc took a look-see at my pouch and said it was stretched. (That’s all my b-friend could understand, and I won't know more until Wednesday when I see the doc)

What are your experiences in what the doc told you your options were once that was found out?

I'm leery of the DS because of the "brown cloud" (gas) issues.  I'm such a prude when it comes to bodily functions, and to be real honest, I'd rather be heavy than to have that problem.  Say what you may, that's just my feelings....and they can't be changed....

Anyway, I want experiences, because I'm totally clueless on what to do.  I'm thinking maybe just move the staple line, and remove more intestine (for the malabsorption),  I just don't know.

pepsi98
on 11/15/08 12:21 am - Norwich, CT
On November 15, 2008 at 5:45 AM Pacific Time, msgrneyes1970 wrote:
K...I know everyone is different but I'm asking for experiences..........

Doc took a look-see at my pouch and said it was stretched. (That’s all my b-friend could understand, and I won't know more until Wednesday when I see the doc)

What are your experiences in what the doc told you your options were once that was found out?

I'm leery of the DS because of the "brown cloud" (gas) issues.  I'm such a prude when it comes to bodily functions, and to be real honest, I'd rather be heavy than to have that problem.  Say what you may, that's just my feelings....and they can't be changed....

Anyway, I want experiences, because I'm totally clueless on what to do.  I'm thinking maybe just move the staple line, and remove more intestine (for the malabsorption),  I just don't know.

Hi There,
I had gastric stapling in 1982 and gained it back.  I am now (after all these years) scheduled for a band to be placed over my old bypass on 12/10.  My pouch and stoma are bigger.  The report said my pouch is "mildly dilated" which I interpret as"stretched", and my stoma is around 16 mm which is too large.  Check into all types of revisions and find the one that is right for you and one that you are comfortable with, and good luck!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KRWaters
on 11/15/08 1:25 am - Manteca, CA
Hello, just for your information, yes, there can be gas/poo issues, but those are controlled with what foods you eat. More white flour, carbs, sweets you eat, the more gas or poo you will have. Cut those foods out and you will be poo/gas free. Check out the DS board for more information from others who have been there. I am still waiting for my DS revision.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

msgrneyes1970
on 11/15/08 3:07 am - GA
Karen,...

Thanks for the input, however, I've spoken face to face w/3 women (one of which was my nurse last week) who simply DO NOT EAT when they know they are going to be around people, because EVERYTHING does it to them.  One of the told me that if they can control it one way, it come out of the pores of their skin!

So....see why I'm leery??

Anyway...I DO thank you for your input....and I am hoovering over the DS board.

Weird how 3 people can totally mess up your way of thinking eh?
KRWaters
on 11/15/08 8:05 am - Manteca, CA
I can totally understand your reluctance when you talk to people who are having problems such as you mention. Not only for your own sake, but please tell your friends two things, first come to the DS forum here on OH. You/they will learn so much. The other thing that they will certainly learn and I will share it now, is they need to get on a probiotic. Have they tried that? Those things kill the bad bacteria that cause the excessively smelly **** Another good item is Flagyl or fishzole. This is a bacterial that will also kill off problems. As they say, I learned everything I know ...about the DS.... on the DS forum on OH. I wish you well with whatever decision you have made. Karen

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 7:00 am - San Jose, CA
Yeah well ---

Several folks behind the scenes on the DS forum did some research, and we believe that the "nurse" she is referring to is Joyce, an "OH support group leader" (whateverthefuck that means), and she is NOT a DSer, she is some sort of hybrid, *******ized ERNY with a 50 cm common channel from Schlessinger.  She has NO authority to speak for what happens to DSers.  NONE.
JRinAZ
on 11/16/08 11:14 pm - Layton, UT
On November 16, 2008 at 3:00 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:
Yeah well ---

Several folks behind the scenes on the DS forum did some research, and we believe that the "nurse" she is referring to is Joyce, an "OH support group leader" (whateverthe**** that means), and she is NOT a DSer, she is some sort of hybrid, *******ized ERNY with a 50 cm common channel from Schlessinger.  She has NO authority to speak for what happens to DSers.  NONE.
Just cruising through the posts this morning and see my name jump out at me!  Hmmmm?  So, Miss Diana Cox?  You're kind of spreading some "brown cloud" info that isn't true.  Whoever your little researchers may be; they have fed their great leader some wrong details!  LOL!  Believe me, I'd be happy to "tell all" if you but ask.....no sneaky research need be done!  I am an open book!

So here's me:
almost 6 years from Prox Rny.  almost 1 year from Revision.  Pouch was left untouched and common channel was shortened to 50 cm.  Some call it Distal.  Some call it Extended Rny.  Some call it an aggressive equal to the lower half of a DS.  Some even  call it a hybrid?! 

I call it sweet smelling success for now!  But, I remain very active in the community because I know how those pounds can get packed back on in spite of the best of cir****tances and best of surgeries.  So, my O.H. support group leader status is something I am proud of.  I'm sure you didn't mean to bash the very host that keeps your posts in business, right?

As for "authority" to speak for what happens to DS'ers?  What degree is actually required for that?  Hmmmmm?  Let's see.  You can speak cuz you've had one, right?  Well, I have the same lower half as you so I guess I can put out one post for every 2 of yours?  LOL!

Or....cuz I used to work for one of the original DS surgeon's (Dr. Terry Simpson) and have worked within his support group system for a very long time.  Maybe that qualifies me to speak for DSers a bit?  What do you think? (maybe add one more post to the mix 1 1/2 to 2 of yours?)

As for DSers sweetie pie......they are unbelievably the nicest bunch of people in the entire world and it's such a shame that a couple of you insist on making them "all" out to be this psycho cult that prey's on the intellectually inferior minds of the Rny's, lapbands and sleeves.  That's simply not the case.  I hang in support all the time with DSers who have helped me with many of my issues.  Love em!!! (Hi to my angel DSer:  April!)

So, I"m not quite sure why you feel the need to "research" me or publicly bash me?  But, I guess if it helps you make the point that all are evil and stupid cept you then go for it!

And, if anyone asks me my opinion, or for my help, or questions about "my" experience; you can be assured that I will willingly offer my assistance.  I do NOT pretend to be anything other than what I am.

....and, by the way, though I got a chuckle out of your researchers factoid that I am a nurse.......the only reason I have ever had RN after my name is cuz someone jokingly said it stood for "Really Nice"!   RN's rock and I respect them tremendously......I just happen to have my degrees in Music and am currently working in the plastic surgery industry.

Happy Monday!  I'm at my goal weight.  How bout you?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mew6495
on 11/15/08 7:33 am - MI
 Hi msgrneyes1970,

I just under went a revision on 10/3.  I had RNY in 2001 and my pouch was also stretched.  My PCP had recommended the stomaphyx but after all the postings I read with not so favorable results on it I opted out of that suggestion.  I went with an ERNY, which leaves the pouch alone and extends the bypassed intestinal portion.  The doctor gave me a 75 cm common channel.  This part of my plumbing is like the DS and in some cases I have a shorter CC.  If you are not willing to deal with and try and concur the "gas/poo" issues then my suggestion would be to research another method.  I can tell you that I have a lot of gas.  I stay away from sweets, simple carbs, white flour etc.  I have not touched them since my revision and I still have gas to deal with.  Even "good" carbs cause gas!  I am keeping my carbs to below 50g a day...which is not much!  But gas is always an issue.    Now I am relatively new to the revision and I am still learning the ins and outs of it.  But I do have to be careful with what I eat.  Because many things can set it off.  If you are looking for greater malabsorption you could also try the distal rny.  Which would put you at more bypassed then the proximal and less then the ERNY.  

But you're doing the right thing by asking the questions, talking to people who have had the experience themselves and are willing to be up front and honest and by doing your research.  There are a lot of revision choices out there.  You will find the one that is best for your needs and wants.

Only you know what you can tolerate and your "feelings" as you mentioned them are not wrong!  I admire you for knowing your own self well enough to realize what would be a problem for you.

Good luck to you.  Let us know how you make out.
Most Active