rny to ds?!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/08 8:22 am - Togo
I repeatedly see people here post about going from a rny to a ds. Am i correct in thinking by ds one is referring to the duodental switch?

i have looked at both surgeries, rny and ds, and i don't see how it is possible to go from one to the other.

nevertheless i read about it so much here that i questioned my doctor about being revised to a ds. he told me that wasn't possible. which is what i also thought.

after the rny there is not sleeve to do a ds with. so ...

how can anyone go from a rny to a ds?

JRinAZ
on 11/14/08 9:11 am - Layton, UT
On November 14, 2008 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, coconut678 wrote:
I repeatedly see people here post about going from a rny to a ds. Am i correct in thinking by ds one is referring to the duodental switch?

i have looked at both surgeries, rny and ds, and i don't see how it is possible to go from one to the other.

nevertheless i read about it so much here that i questioned my doctor about being revised to a ds. he told me that wasn't possible. which is what i also thought.

after the rny there is not sleeve to do a ds with. so ...

how can anyone go from a rny to a ds?

It is not only "possible" to be revised from an Rny to a DS but it has been done successfully many times.  The DS is not reversible but the Rny could be.

A very skilled revision surgeon would reverse the Rny, then build a sleeve and switch (shorten common channel) to have a completed DS.  However, there "is" considerable risk to revising to a DS so many experienced revision surgeons ****ep repeating the experienced part cuz obviously not all Bariatric surgeon's are created equally and know all there is to know about revision options)....elect to leave the Rny pouch entact; regardless of whether it's stretched or not; and simply do the switch part or more commonly known as shortening the common channel.  This revision is basically equal to a DS but needs increased maintenance post-op since it not only has restriction but it has malabsorption.  Some docs call that an Extended Rny (or an Erny)....some surgeon's still call an Erny a Distal Rny.

The reason there is greater risk to rebuild the anatomy and then have a DS is because the patient would have to be "out" or under anesthesia for an extended period of time.  Many patient's with health issues or who have had other open surgeries and may have scar tissue to weave through may not be healthy enough to tough it out.  And, there is the possibility that the piloric valve doesn't kick back into operation.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

KRWaters
on 11/15/08 1:02 am - Manteca, CA
Ok, my take on it is this: The RnY would be taken apart and and your stomach put back the way it was. That is difficult at its best. Then the DS proficient doc would cut abdomen to look like a banana (the sleeve part) and then switch the duodenum so the gastric juices and foods do not meet up till the end of the line at the common channel where they both meet. The pyloric valve is fixed so it is in working order again, hence no dumping with the DS.

Most, almost all, RNY/Lapband surgeons will completely put down the DS and say it is no good, lots of complications, nutritional problems, smelly, smelly stools and fart, anything bad you can think of. Not true at all.

You have to talk to a surgeon proficient i the DS. You may have to travel, but if you find the right surgeon (duodenalswitch.com) you will understand that the DS is not bad at all. What the RnY/lapband surgeons are referring to is the old BPD done years and years ago and that one was bad. Now it is a newer version where all of the "bad" stuff is no longer done. This newer version has been done for 20 years so it is not altogether brand new. If you come over to the DS board, you will see many being revised from the RnY to the DS, and i hope to be one of them. Good luck in whatever decision you choose.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active