Why so many revisions from Band to Sleeve or RNY?

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 4:00 am
I was banded in June 2006. Started having problems with it after my 2nd fill. I was unable to keep good foods down, like brocolli and meat. I chewed at least a 1000X and still had a hurting in my chest. After 6 months I had the saline taken out. I felt instant relief! I was depressed that the band didn't work with the $4000 deductible I paid. It is a very big financial commitment. But I thought this would be it for me. And it wasn't. After getting peace of mind and focusing on other areas of my life, I decided to research all options for losing weight. I didn't do good with diets because, I couldn't stay on them and would get depressed and angry. So I decided to do the sleeve. My doctors office billed it as a revision only and the insurance covered it. I got my sleeve this past Tuesday. And it already feels way better than the band. I thank God for helping me to not give up and having a doc that would do what he could to help me get sleeved by the insurance. I have a sister that is 10 Years out RNY, she has kept 110 of 120 pounds off! She has kept it off by excercising and portion control. Alot of people regain the weight back with RNY because they learn to "test" their new stomach. Eating a litte more here and there and then they gain it all back. Whether your friend does either surgery, she needs to have her mind made up that this is a permanet lifestyle change. You cannot eat the amt you ate prior to surgery and not be active, and be confused about why you gained weight back. That applies to the DS surgery as well. They regain weight back if they do not excercise and watch portions. It seems simple, but for those of us who have been obese for so long, it is very hard at times. She needs to have her support system set up and possibly thereapy and antidepressants to keep mentally well. I wish you and your friend the best. I glad to be a sleeve sister now!
Sally J.
Angie P.
on 11/21/08 7:17 am - Warren, OH
I had my band in early 2004...and my experience was terrible.  I threw up constantly (and I mean at least 5 x per day), my list of foods I couldn't eat was about 10 x greater than what I could eat, I had severe reflex....I was miserable.  I had no fills at all, and it didn't matter.  I couldn't eat or drink ANYTHING for at least 4 hours in the morning, then again at night.  When I could eat it was only soft or mushy foods.  I had it removed in January 2007.

I read on the internet recently that in Europe they were doing almost exclusive banding for years as the best weight loss surgery.  They had approval for bands 10 years before the USA.  Now, the rate of bands is extremely low because the long term failure rate is so great.  The interview stated a 60% band failure....granted, it was an interview by a European doc that I saw on the internet....so I'm not sure how accurate their rate is.

There is a doctor in NV (I think) doing a mini rny that "he" recommends for post-banders.  That is where I got the info about the band in Europe.

Anyway, I'm now trying to revise to RNY...I wouldn't recommend anyone going through the lap-band...it was really terrible for me, I didn't lose all the weight, and food became my worst enemy.
tnwalkersu
on 11/21/08 8:15 am - Somerville, TN
Angie, If you had so problems with pb'ing and not able to get food down, then why are you geting the RNY?  It also has a small pouch and there are a lot of issues with it just like the band.  Have you considered DS?  With all of the problems that I had with the band, there is no way I will ever have another pouch. 

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Most Active