Considering Revision from Sleeve to DS - anyone done this?

djohn
on 11/13/08 3:09 pm - Moraga, CA
Hello, I just met with my surgeon today to consider my options for revision surgery.  I had a VSG 3 years ago.  I started at 241 pounds, got down to 175 pounds, and now am up to 216 pounds. 
Has anyone here done a revision from the Sleeve to the DS?  One of the "selling points" of the Sleeve was that is was the "first" part of the the DS and therefore could be revised to a full DS in the future.  Have people had success with this/and or experience?
Any thoughts/insight would be greatly welcomed, and appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance!
PekinSal
on 11/14/08 4:52 am - UK
You could repost this on the DS board Debbie.

If you've only had the sleeve then the DS part of the op can be added later, but if you have the two parts together (or within 6 months of each other) they are reported to work better. Does your doc know why you've put weight back on?

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

KRWaters
on 11/16/08 9:16 am - Manteca, CA
SEveral people need to do the DS in two parts. First the sleeve and months later after losing maybe 100 pounds, the 2nd part. It is usually done in two parts for extemely high BMI. Sometimes cause of a lot of stomach surgeries a lot of adhesions, which would prolong the surgery, thus, the doc elects to do it in two parts. Check out the DS board here and find a reputable DS surgeon to give you the true facts. Don't settle for any surgeon. Check out duodenalswitch.com for an accurate list of DS surgeons.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

djohn
on 11/16/08 12:30 pm - Moraga, CA
Thanks, I have a surgeon, Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco.  I'm trying to see if ANYONE has done it for some insight and feedback. 
If anyone knows someone who has had the sleeve in the last few years and has had a revision to the DS I'd love to talk to them.
Thanks again for your help,
Debbie
KRWaters
on 11/16/08 2:59 pm - Manteca, CA
Dr. Cirangle is a good choice. He is a DS surgeon and won't steer you wrong. It is not a "revision" from the Sleeve to the DS. The sleeve is acually a part of the DS. They both work together. The sleeve to give you restriction on how much you can eat, and the DS or the switching of the intestines (duodenum) will give you malabsorpition so you do not absorb all the nutrients, hence why it is a must to take vitamins for life...forever, okay?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active