Revision from Band to RNY at same time

ShrinkingMims
on 11/13/08 11:05 pm - Atlanta, GA

I am scheduled to be revised from Lap Band to RNY on Wednesday, November 19th.  I have had my band since 10/2006.  Has any one else had this done with one procedure? If you have, is there more of a complication rate? Was the healing process longer, was the pain worse than the first surgery? Any information that you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you.

NeedhamGal
on 11/14/08 5:07 pm - MA
I had the conversion from the band to RNY in July. My doc does it in one step. I had no complications at all.  As someone asked 3 days ago, the doc did put on the consent form that there is a chance of leakage...he said small % but needs to disclose it.
I know a lot of ladies who have had the conversion --all but 1 are happy.  1 lady had a complication that the initial doctor didn't pick up until she went for a 2nd opinion.
As far as eating from the band to the RNY...it is so much easier to be compliant. I eat chicken and turkey all the time...with the band I'de be choking and pbing at the first bite.

Good luck next week. I think you will be happy you made this decision.

Joan
JoyceB
on 11/14/08 6:12 pm - IL
I converted from band to rny in one procedure in September.  I was having a horrible time with the band...regain, erosive esophagitis, unexplained vomitting, etc.  My doctor was worried about erosion or heavy scaring so there was a risk of complications.  When he opened me up my band was completely encapsulated by scar tissue growing around it.  Surgery lasted a few hours longer than expected, but it was a success.  The recovery pain was worse with RNY (about 10 days and more intense) , but he also had to remove part of my omentum, so that could be the reason.   Other than that, I am loving my rny.  I feel the fullness I lacked with the band, the unexplained vomitting is gone, the esophagitis has disappeared and I am losing at a nice steady clip.  Was it worth the extra pain and risks??? YES  yes yes.

day of surgery - 296      current goal - 195      highest ('98) - est'd 320
cuppyb
on 11/14/08 9:08 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
I just had my revision 2 1/2 weeks ago and I feel great.  I was expecting to have a lot more pain than I did with the band but to be honest I was fine.  My only issue was a reaction to the morphine, once they took care of that I was good. 

I do have discomfort where the drain was, it is also the same area where my port was removed from.  I wouldn't really call it pain, just really tender and bruised.  I feel it when I get up and down from bed or the couch but nothing major.   

I took 3 weeks out of work, going back Monday and I can't wait.   I did sleep more after this surgery and glad I took the extra time.  I only took a week with my band.    I too had some of the issues you experienced, just no erosion.   I have no issue with eating or drinking and especially no more vomitting.  

Very happy I had my revision, best decision I made this year. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

Hondurian Queen
on 11/17/08 1:21 am - BOSTON, MA
I TOO HAD IT DONE IN ONE STEP AND HAD NO ISSUES GOOD LUCK

jinks
on 11/17/08 3:19 am
Mine was done at the same time and there was no problem.
It is the duty of the Patriot to protect his country from his government.~ThomasPaine~

Most Active