Weird Pre-Op Finding from Upper GI...

warmmorningsun1
on 11/13/08 5:32 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Hey guys, I've been lurking a while, thought I'd put up an inaugural post about the very strange GI I had this morning.
First, I'm revising from band to sleeve.  I had my band put in 6/06 and have lost about 70 lbs.  Most of that 70 lbs was in the first 6 months, with 10 pounds coming over the last year...but that's another story.
Anyway, my MD took out my fluid to give my stomach a "rest" before surgery and I've had no fluid for about 3 weeks.
I went for my upper GI for preop and swallowed all the barium and it went past my band and into my stomach and then IT WOULDN'T GO DOWN!  It took almost 30 minutes for it to move from my stomach to my intestines.   My radiologist mentioned that it was odd, said I might have slow digestion, etc.
The thing is, these last three weeks I've been having this "rock" feeling in my stomach after I eat, and I'm thinking it's because it WAS sitting there like a rock.
I'm going to talk to my MD about it, but have any of you ever heard of this ? 
AphY Girl
on 11/13/08 6:55 am
When I had my upper GI with small bowel follow through it took 2 1/2 hours to get to my intestines... they said that was normal.. I told them that i am post op - she then told me that it was NOT normal for a post op.

I think 30 mins is quick for a lap bander / pre op... you might want to look into a DS because if you just get the sleeve you don't get the mal absorption.

Good luck!
Most Active