HAVE TO HAVE UPPER GI????????????

Dale Elaine S.
on 11/12/08 11:18 pm - Moultrie, GA
Can anyone tell me what they think about this....
  I had 5.6 in my 10 cc band.  I was way to tight and could not eat anything, so Monday, they took out .25 and now I have zero restriction.  I called today to see if they could put 1/2 of that back in and she said absolutely not  that I had to go get an upper GI to see if I have a slip because she thinks with that little bit making such a big difference that my band must have slipped.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Lapband 2/25/08; Removed 6/26/10;
      Don't know what to do now

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 12:26 am - Togo
Sounds like you've got a real problem and that is a pain in the ass.

But it also sounds like you've got a doctors office that is on top of it. 

i have read posts here from people who had a problem and it lasted for a long time because their doctor wouldn't address the issue  or take time to check it out. thank god you've got someone paying attention.

only one thing. too bad she didn't tell you that when she unfilled. Too bad you called in later and found out then. She should have told you that when she unfilled you. what a b....

Dale Elaine S.
on 11/13/08 12:28 am - Moultrie, GA
Yes, I'm happy to do the Upper GI because I would like to know for sure, but I have never heard of anyone having a slip with no symptoms.  
You say, It sounds like I have a real problem... do you mean, that I can have a slip with no symptoms of it at all???   
I don't know if I can go back into the OR again.  It was horribly painful the first time. :( 

tnwalkersu
on 11/13/08 1:22 am - Somerville, TN
I have a question.  Did you mean to say that they took out .25 or 2.5.  It is almost impossible to do .25 on a syringe.  It is good to see a doctor wanting to make everything ok.  I had a floro fill to check for leaks which I had.  Since I have no fill now It looks that my band has slipped.  Why, I don't know.  It's hard to think that you might have to go back to surgery but that is one of the problems with the band.  I was told that they could go back in and replace my port and tubing and fix everything.  But since I didn't lose but 35 lbs with the band I have decided that if I go back in it will be for a revision to DS.  Some people do great with the band and others like me don't.  There are too many failures with the band and this is one o the things you have to accept with the band.  Have the GI and see what is going on and then decide what you want.  If the band is really what you want and your insurance covers it, then have it fixed.  There is not much more that you can do.  Trust your doctor and have it checked then take it one step at a time.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Dale Elaine S.
on 11/13/08 1:31 am - Moultrie, GA
She said she took out .25.   It feels like she took out most of it!    I just don't think I hae a slip. I maybe wrong, and I am going to have the upper GI so that I will know for sure but if I have a slip, I don't know if I will want another band if they can slip that easily.   I honestly think she took out more than she is telling me.   She did this once before and I told her she took out to much and she got defensive about it.   I wasn't saying it in a bad way, I was just saying, I think you took out to much last time.   Others on this board have told me that .1 can make a huge difference with them so I was asking her if she could put .1 back in to see and she said absolutely not!  Oh, well, I guess I'll have to wait on that Upper GI and do my best to keep my mind off of food. 

I'm eating protein.  I had hamburger steak for lunch yesterday and scrambled eggs for supper and today I've had chicken salad fo lunch.  (STILL HUNGRY) :(

tnwalkersu
on 11/13/08 1:42 am - Somerville, TN
If you had a slippage there would be no way you could eat that.  Slippage causes pain and reflux like you would have if you had a really tight fill and it would hurt all of the time.  I'm with you.  If you can eat that you are way too loose.  I really think she took out 2.5 cc, not .25.  I know that even a small amount can make a difference but not that much.  If you have ever looked at a syringe you will see that on a 2cc syringe that .25 would be like four drops of water.  With all of the fills that I had over the past 2 yrs I can tell you that small of an amount is nothing when you have a 10cc band.  Mine is 4cc and that small of an amount would effect me more than you.  But who are we to argue with a doctor.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Dale Elaine S.
on 11/13/08 1:49 am - Moultrie, GA
THANKS, I HOPE YOUR RIGHT!!!  ATLEAST I WILL KNOW AFTER THIS IS OVER!   

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 11:01 pm - Togo
Sounds like she is really jerking you around. It looks like senseless harrassment. She's doing her job but messing with you. Probably doesn't like her job and goes to work with an 'attitude'.

Nevertheless an upper g.i. is a good idea. but be certain you go over the results with the doctor and don't let it be her.

her nasty behavior is the type that will go on and on without an end in sight.

you might also want to think about going to a different bariatric doctors office. because maybe the doctor is okay there but the follow up with her is not so honest. think about going elsewhere. when you are so needy of someones help it is easy to just keep on with them even when you know they are bad to you.

put yourself first. what do you need? you need a good doctor that is going to do good fills with you. pursue that. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 11:11 pm - Togo
you know in your original post here i don't see anything that indicates slippage. it seems, from what you wrote, just to be about fills and unfills. why is she having you get an upper g.i.? what is her reasoning for that? she lied about a fill in the past too?

if she did an unfill and you don't have restriction then the doctors office gives you a fill. why won't she do that?

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 11:22 pm - Togo
I see your bmi is 29.3

how much do you now weigh? how much more do you want to lose? what did you start out at?

i think there is more to your situation than first meets the eye. 

Most Active