Trying to find someone who has or had revision

ednalewis
on 11/12/08 10:28 pm - stockton, CA
Hello my name is edna. Good morning. I am trying to find someone you has had or is going to have a revision. From past surgery dating back. 20 or 30 years ago gastric bypass. I would like to know did you have complacations ,after gastric bypass surgery to date. And was your approval process.sucussful. My doctor tells me i may not be able to have my RNY. Due to my gastric bypass 30 years ago. And there may be risks. 1/100 deaths 1/50 complacations 1/50 herina repair in the near future, and blood transfesions. and a 6 to 8 hour operation. I would apreciate it if someone has gone through this with there surgeon. Thank you and have a great day.edna

WHAT I NEED MOST IS NEW FRIENDS AND SUPPORT LEFT BEFORE BECAUSE I WAS DENIED GASTRIC BYPASS BUT I;M STILL HOPING AND IS WAITING ON GOD'S APPROVAL

Jenileija
on 11/13/08 12:48 am - Grand Prairie, TX
Good morning Edna! I had my GB on 12/21/2004 and had my (revision ) done 6/9/2008 .... I had gain 50 pound and was very up set about it... I had a Hernia repair and the revision done all that same day and I did have 2 pints of blood given to me, but that is also to help speed up the healing process also I did fine and I'm back to the same diet and I feel great.It dod not take my sergeon 6/8 hours it took about 2  hours or a little more but  other then that everything worked out as plan.... Im in texas My doctors name is Dr.John Alexander.... Look him up on this website he is GREAT!!! I wish the best and great health...

Jeannie!

Jeannie

bonniend
on 11/13/08 1:34 am - MA
Hi Edna,   I had gastric by pass i***** 14 years ago and had my revision in Sept.  My surgery was about 9 hours long, they spent 3 hours just removing scar tissue.

I was also told the same things your dr. has told you.  This time around you could have more complications like leakage as the pouch tissue is thin.  I did not loose a lot of blood but had to under go 6 weeks of iron therapy prior to surgery as i was anemic.  They also removed my galbladder during surgery.  They actually gave me a type of sleeve this time as over time your stomach and pouch can grow back together, little info they leave out the first time around.  I had a herina the first time around, so a trying very hard not to lift a thing this time and not for quite a while.  They had to do an open surgery due to all the old stuff and not knowing about scar tissue and all.

It has been a long month and I am just now starting to feel better.  I went home with 2 drainage tubes, one in the new pouch and one as a precaution in the old stomach because if there is leakage, you have to stop eating via your mouth until the leakage area heals and you would have to pour liquid suppliment down the other tube to the native stomach.  This did not happen, thank god.  I just had the last tube removed last week (one to origina stomach).  It leaves a hole as there is drainage that comes out from it and it has stomach acid in it.  You have to be extremely careful as it burns the skin around the hole the tube leaves when they take it out.  It has been one week now and the damn thing is still draining.  the dr. said everyone is different and as long as the stomach needs to decompress it will discharge stuff.

I have started exercising this week.  Hard as my stomach muscles not 100% yet.

Hope this info helps, if you have more ?'s, I would be happy to try and help. 

I have lost almost 30 lbs since surgery and i know i will think it was worth it in a few months, just need to heal 1st.  take care. Bonnie
ednalewis
on 11/13/08 9:10 am - stockton, CA
Thank you so much bonnie.You have made my day. Then there is hope,I was feeling down, because, I may not be able to sit on the losers bench. So did the doctor do anything to the old stomach. Is it still there are is some of it removed from the scar tissue. I would like to keep you posted. Thank you, and have a wonderful day.You have given me hope. I trully apreciated it.

WHAT I NEED MOST IS NEW FRIENDS AND SUPPORT LEFT BEFORE BECAUSE I WAS DENIED GASTRIC BYPASS BUT I;M STILL HOPING AND IS WAITING ON GOD'S APPROVAL

bonniend
on 11/13/08 10:02 pm - MA
My old stomach is still there but it is more like a sleeve operation now.  I have studied up on the subject and they like to actually physically separate the old from the new now as they can grow back together.  They do not remove it as it is too complicated, so it just sits there.

I weighed myself today and have lost 30 lbs since surgery.  It is not coming off as fast as it did the 1st time, but slow is better than no!  I also lost 20lbs prior to surgery and i believe this helped alot as well.  I also exercised 30 min. a day for one month prior to surgery.  This all part of my WLS clinic's plan and it did work.  Might want to try it out if you go forward with the revision.

I wish you the best of luck.  Keep me updated!
isaiah54mom
on 11/13/08 3:02 pm - bartlesville, OK
Hey
gurl  My name is jo. I had a VBG 20 years ago. I am sitting here replying to You @ 1AM because I am so excited. I will have my revison surgery date within the week. I have been after this for almost a year now. I did not know this was possible until I stumbled onto this site. I will keep you posted and add u as a friend. I am having an open operation because I have a huge hernia. My Dr. says he will repair the hernia after i heal from the revision. This is my Christmas/new year/ beginningof a new life. I refuse to continue living life @ 352 lbs. I am so tired of draggin this weight around.
Grace and peace
jo
KRWaters
on 11/15/08 1:33 am - Manteca, CA
So you are a revsion to a DS. Who is your revision surgeon? I am excited for you. Come to the DS board and mingle with us. We could always use your input and you might learn something too. We have a lot of people being revision to a DS from something else.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

isaiah54mom
on 11/15/08 4:48 am - bartlesville, OK
Dr. Brent Stewart of Tall Grass Surgical in Topeka KS is going to do my revision. I think the staff there is top notch! Especially his Nurse Rachelle. I am so excited @ the prospect of finally getting rid of that @#%#@ band and losing some weight.
jo

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

KRWaters
on 11/15/08 4:07 pm - Manteca, CA
Oh, I was mistaken. For some reason, I thought I read you were getting a duodenal switch. You are going from the band to the gastric bypass then? I wish you well

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

isaiah54mom
on 11/16/08 6:03 am - bartlesville, OK
No, you were right. I asked Dr. Stewart to remove the band from the VBG. There is a silicone band  that causes me to throw up (4 twenty years now!) even if i don't overeat. It is weird because i never know from day to day. some days I can eat like prior to the VBG and then the next day 1 tablespoon of rice and i am barfing all day. I am going from a VBG to a BPD/DS. I was very clear and emphatic when I had my consult. I had flown to another state prior to this to have a surgeon try to talk me into a long limb RNY. I was so angry. I had been very clear when talking to their office people that I wanted a DS. They assured me that the surgeon did them. I am not rich. It was a real hit to me financially  to fly out and then find out the surgeon would not do a DS only the RNY.  I wasn't falling for that again.
jo

HW/ SW/CW/GW
427+/427/148/150

Most Active