Probably already asked but need to ask again... Band to VSG

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 12:05 pm - Haleiwa, HI

I am having my band removed and revised to the sleeve on November 24th.  My Dr was saying that there is a higher risk of a leak during a revision, and I wanted to see if anyone has had a leak from a revision.  Can anyone shed any light on this and what odds were given to you?

Thank you in advance!

Jessica

MARCIAM
on 11/12/08 2:59 pm - Sayville, NY
I had a revision from band to RNY with no leaks! I was told that there was always a slight chance of a leak but not more than with any other surgery...
Good luck to you!
Marcia

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 9:32 pm - Haleiwa, HI
Thank you for the encouragement!  :)
NeedhamGal
on 11/12/08 9:28 pm - MA
the doctor also put that on my medical consent form as a risk. It is because they don't know when they get in there how well (or how bad) the band is adhered around your stomach.
He told me they wouldn't necessarily know at surgery if there would be a leak...would show up around 3 weeks.
Thank the Lord....it didn't show up for me.

I am sure your doc is just covering himself and giving you full disclosure, as they should.
Good luck. Joan
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 9:34 pm - Haleiwa, HI
That is wha I figured, but I just wanted to reassurement.  Thank you!
babsintx
on 11/14/08 7:10 am - GA
Hi Jessica,

I was a five year band to sleeve revision. No complications whatsoever, but there is a higher risk especially with a surgeon that hasnt done a lot of revisions. You need someone who has revisional experience since the rate of complication is higher, but it really depends on the surgeon. My surgery was 4 hours long to correct band damage before they could do the sleeve. But no complications, just longer under anesthesia.

Babs

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/08 7:13 am - Haleiwa, HI
Thank you Babs for the info.  I met with him today, and he clarified things for me.  He was just making me aware of it being an increased risk because complication was  higher.  I feel much better now.  He told me that I should be in surgery 2-3 hours depending on scar tissue.
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 4:21 am
Hello Jessica,
I just got sleeved this past Tuesday, from the band. I was in surgery for 3 hours, but my doc's sd I took it like a champ! I have a meeting with my doc this thursday and will go over some other info with him. Since I had my band for less than a year filled, it didn't cause a lot of scarring. I had the saline taken out after 6 months. Which was around March of this year. I think the odds are very small. I am definitely enjoying my sleeve, wayyyy more than the band.

sally J.
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/08 8:19 am - Haleiwa, HI
Congratulations Sally!  I have had my band 8 months, and have been unfilled for a little over 3 weeks.  I have met with my Dr again, and he took away my fears and concerns. What size of bougie did he use on you?  How much weight do yo have to lose?
Most Active