For those revised from RNY to DS

Msdragonz
on 11/11/08 6:36 am - NEPA, PA
Hi!
As a lot of you know, I am going to be revised to DS in hopefully the near future. (God willing)
My DH wanted me to ask how many out here on the DS are revised from rny to ds, and of those people-did any of you have a difficult time getting your old stomach to work again?  ( I have already msgd Kerry and he wrote back)
Hubby is SOOOOO worried that since my stomach has been pretty much dormant (sp)all these years, would it even work once it's reconnected?
I have TONS of faith in Dr G. DH is as always very freaked out.
Anyhow, I thought I'd put this question out there and see if I can give him an answer.
Thanks in advance!
Robin

(Also posted this on the DS board)
AphY Girl
on 11/11/08 10:06 pm
Your real stomach never stopped working... it still produces the digestive juices and passes it through your intestines to meet up with the food from your pouch.

I guess i don't understand your question... RNY old stomach never lays dormant it has always worked just never had 'food' flow through it - it still makes the digestive juices needed to break down our food.

Good luck,
Emily
Msdragonz
on 11/12/08 4:31 am, edited 11/12/08 4:32 am - NEPA, PA
Thanks for your response-I think he was talking about the pyloric valve without knowing what he meant. I have tried to explain what you just said and also that the piloric valve does "wake up" when the revision is done.
Bottom line is that he's really scared for me and looking for every possible thing that can go wrong.
I just needed some nice people like you to back me up:)
Have a great day!
AphY Girl
on 11/12/08 4:40 am
I think you will be FINE.... the value works today to 'dump' the digestive juices through to your intestines.
PekinSal
on 11/13/08 3:20 am - UK
Hi Robin

I'm not an RNYer but I've been around! I remember someone on here whose pyloric valve didn't start functioning again after DS, but that is the only one - I think she had her RNY more than 10 years previously.

Emily isn't quite right (sorry Emily) - the pouch you have now ends in a surgeon created stoma. The pyloric valve therefore isn't involved in your digestion at the moment. Your food going into your intestines through the stoma (as opposed to the valve) is what makes some people dump. The fact that food passes through the valve for DSers is why DSers don't dump (which is good or bad depending on your viewpoint!)

I think there are tests doctors can do to see if your valve might work, but like I say the majority of people's is fine.

Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active