Am I a candidate for revision?

lorbrat74
on 11/11/08 4:53 am - fair oaks, CA
Hello, I am going on 5 years out and I am considering a revision. I was 250 to start with Diabetes and then had the surgery and got down to 150 and was healthy. I got pregnant and regained my weight. Since I had my daughter 2 years ago, I am borderline anemic and also have hypothyroidism. I currently weigh 203 and it is a constant struggle. I don't eat a lot at one time and I never get dumping syndrome anymore and I drink wine. Am I a candidate for this? Based on my weight and height I am considered obese. Any suggestions?
nursekrista35
on 11/11/08 7:39 am - louisville, OH
check with ur wls and se if u are a candidate. do u have issues with ur bloodsugars again?back on any medications? those are all things they do look at. have u tried going back to the basics suchas pouch rules, excersize? i dont know if u do that already or not?they probablly will check your pouch,stoma and see how everything looks. best of luck to you and on your weight loss..
mew6495
on 11/11/08 10:22 am - MI
 You could be a candidate but would need more information like the other post said to determine.  I would suggest going to your PCP and asking him to do a Upper GI and an EDG to determine the size of your pouch and the condition of your stoma.  Also call your insurance company or go on line to ask/see what their revision criteria is. This will help you get started.

I weighed slightly less then you and I am 5'3" and I had a revision at the beginning of Oct.  However, it took me some time to find a surgeon who would consider me without a BMI of 40.  Most of them see a "number".  I was lucky and found one who saw a "person" and was willing to listen and help.

Good Luck.  Keep us posted on how you are progressing.  
dsnydi
on 11/12/08 2:11 am
I had the same problem after having my first baby in May 2007.  Losing the baby weight was so hard and I decided to go see a surgeon to find out if I was a revision candidate.  I had an upper GI done and found out that my stoma is much bigger than it should be.  It's the size of a quarter when it should me more the size of a dime.  I also have something else odd going on with a piece of my intestine. 
These things make me a candidate for a revision.  I am currently pregnant and we plan to do my revision next summer. 
I will have an endoscopy done in the spring as prep for the revision.

Pre-Revision: 228 - I had my second baby Feb. 18, 2009
Current Weight: 186 I had a revision via lap to my RnY on August 18, 2009

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/08 8:30 am - Togo
If you look to the side of these posts you will see severl resources that can help give you answers to your questions. one is 'reasons for revision weight loss surgery'. that is a good place to begin looking for the answer.

good luck to you. 

Most Active