very slow weight loss

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 11:06 pm - Austin, TX
has anyone experienced slow weight loss from a revision of lapband to RNY? I had my revision August 12, have only lost 20 pounds. I haven't had any complications from the surgery. Can eat what ever I want without any dumping (which is annoying). I had lost 60 pounds with the Lap band however gained all the weight back, so I thought I would try RNY because the research I'd done said I would lose weight and if I ate anything that was high fat or high sugar I would experience dumping. I thought this would be great as my main challenge for weight loss has been high fat foods and I love sweets. I'm so disappointed and I feel like I've thrown away my money on two surgeries.
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 11:17 pm - Togo
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 11:38 pm - Austin, TX
I did ask him, he said everything is working perfectly. I had the the banded gastric bypass done. Have you heard of this surgery. Here's the link to the website so that you can see.
   http://www.capellabariatricsurgery.com/banded gastric bypass.htm

I always said that I was meant to be fat, if there was a 1% chance a surgery would fail, I'd be the 1%. Its so depressing. From what I've read on the message boards, I fall in the light weight catagory for RNY I started at 250 an I'm 5,3. I'm able to eat approx 3/4 cup of food depending on what it is, so I know I'm not overeating. Is it possible for my pouch to be too big even though I can eat a little over 1/2 cup of food?
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 12:07 am - Togo
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 12:15 am, edited 11/12/08 12:06 am - Togo
cj1
on 11/11/08 12:59 am
it is so frustrating not to lose weight as fast as we expect/want.  When you have a revision, you lose weight slower than you would the first time around.  Also, not everyone has the dumping wiht the rny.  I had my rny and had dumping for a short while but then my body acclamated and i no longer have dumping-ever.  I too have a revision ( of my rny).  The hard part is to remember it is a tool and takes lots of work.  Make sure your daily protein is up between 60-90 a day.  Make sure you are getting enough calories like 1000-1200/daily.  Of course exercise daily.  My friend once told me she doesn't need to exercise because we push patients on beds all day and do lots of running (nursing) but that isn't exercise per say.  That is what we do daily.  You have to do beyond what your "normal" routine is.  Trust me on this.  Good luck and I completely know what it feels like to think you are failing and wasted money on these surgeries.  You didn't, you just need to utilize them more to their potential!!  :-)  Take care, don't give up!  CJ
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 1:19 am - Austin, TX
Thank you. I realize that I need to exercise. The strange thing is I used to exercise 5 days a week before surgery. Since my revision, my energy level is very low. I had my blood work done a few weeks ago and my iron levels are a little low. I told my doctor that when I start to walk after 10 minutes I get light headed. He told me to incorporate more red meat in my diet as I already take an iron supplement. I will keep on trying but its so difficult when you feel ill from just walking.

Thanks for your help.
cj1
on 11/11/08 1:30 am
I truly understand about feeling fatigued/low on energy and lightheaded.  I had my revision done Nov4 and am still on liquids which don't g ive me nearly enough calories or energy.  I had low iron going into surgery as well.  I just go on the treadmill for 10 minutes 3x a day though.  10 minutes is my absolute max as I just want to lay down afterward!  Also, the high protein will really really really help with your energy level!  Also, try a little something to eat or drink before you exercise, you might be a little hypoglycemic-which I also get and I get lightheaded when I am low.  I really haven't much energy myself right now.  My cals are probably 200 or less because I was just on clear liqs wihtout sugar and that means pretty much no calories.  To walk after having nothing in my system for so many days was torture!  So I can completely relate and feel for you.  Just do what you can.  As hard as it is, push yourself, especially during this early time wiht your revision and make the most of it.  If you can't walk outside, try using a treadmill and holding on to the sides to help you not get too dizzy, or try something where you are sitting like a stationary bike or get in a pool....Anyway, Sure hope you aren't too down on yourself, hang in there and search for the positive.  Something is there!!!  :-)
mew6495
on 11/11/08 9:54 am - MI
 Did you take a look at what you are eating?  If you are consuming simple carbs or to many carbs you will absorb many of the calories as well.  These carbs are dangerous for any wls.  I would suggest tracking on FitDay.com or something like that just to see what your consumption is. Some time you can be surprised what we actually do consume.  Try upping your protein and water intake.  This can make a difference in how you feel.  

Also do you know how much intestine was bypassed?  Proximal, distal extended?  However this early out it should not make a big difference at this point.  But obviously the more bypassed the greater malabsorption.  You can get a copy of your operation report from the hospital you had the procedure performed at.  This will give you the details of what the doc did.

When I was researching my revision a couple of surgeons have mentioned to me and I have also recently read an article pertaining to this issue, that in most cases (not all) your metabolism slows down after your body undergoes the original WLS.  I know I am not loosing as fast as I did the first time around but I am still loosing.  

Please keep in mind, as others have mentioned, not all RNYers dump.  In fact, there are more that don't then do, especially after a little bit of time out.  I don't dump and can only remember 2 times in which I (think) did since my original wls in 2001.  

Good Luck to you.  I hope things turn around for you.  

Most Active