band to rny please help!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 9:38 am - Australia
Hi all, im Belinda
Have had my band 7 years and lost 40kgs, i am having a revision in February (to either rny or sleeve) due to constant pain and heaps of other problems, like eating.
Thing is i am terrified of the rny cause of all these things you hear, the pouch stretches, dumping syndrome, higher regain.Plus the list of foods you cant have seems to be endless!

If anyone can clear these things up for me it would be great! I dont wanna have another surgery only to have problems with regain down the road,i want to get on with my life ya know? I am only 23 after all!
If you could share how life is with rny compaired to the band, your opinions and experiences and help a bandster out i would really appreciate it cause im so torn between sleeve and rny, i think i need the rny for the malabsorbtion cause my metabolism is stuffed.
Any replies would be fabulous and really be helping me out, im doing my head in!
Thanks everyone
Belinda
MARCIAM
on 11/10/08 11:41 am - Sayville, NY
Dear Belinda,
I had to have my band removed in August of this year and then wait until 9/22 to have a revision to RNY.  I have never been happier in my life! I have already lost 25 pounds since the surgery.  I do have to watch how much sugar I eat, however I can eat again.  The band had become torture for me. For a long time I was living on liquids and soup.  Today I went out to lunch with my daughter and ate a very small piece of steak. I had the band put in January of 2006 and I was never able to eat steak or other beef food.  Now that I have the RNY I have my life back!

Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

nursekrista35
on 11/10/08 11:44 am - louisville, OH
i had vbg and vomited for 13 years untill i got revision to rny the best thing i ever did i am below my goal weight just had ps and i am sooo happy that i did it. ican now eat all foods without throwing up. not everyone gets dumping i dont  so i guess iam lucky. good luck...krista
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 12:12 pm - Australia
Its so great to hear you are both happy and able to EAT oh my god i miss eating like a 'normal' person, i am on liquids cause of the band and will be until surgery in February
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 8:27 pm - AZ
On November 10, 2008 at 8:12 PM Pacific Time, shizzlemoo wrote:
Its so great to hear you are both happy and able to EAT oh my god i miss eating like a 'normal' person, i am on liquids cause of the band and will be until surgery in February

I feel for you.  I was on liquids for 4 months due to my band.

Just think, you'll be primed for your post op diet. ;o)

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 5:53 pm - Australia
lmao that i will!
I had some amazing news today i wanted to share with all of you who have helped me so much!
I got a costing estimate on the sugery from my surgeon and  because he considers me an emergency and really genuinly cares he has more then halved his fee for the surgery to just $5,930 plus whatever the hospital costs and that is for whatever surgery i choose with follow up, i was quoted $35,000 surgeons fee only for all other surgeons, i know he charges $14,000 just for the surgery normally and i also have to have the band removed which he isnt charging me for!
I looked at it and i think he is covering costs for the theatre and his assistant and that is it! I cried when i read the letter i got because i have been so stressed about finding the money.
So not only has he got me in for February 9th (skipping the 8 year wait for public) but he is doing it at cost.
My faith in humanity has been restored and im still truely shocked!
Thankyou to all of you for taking the time to respond, i am seeing the surgeon for a special appointment on the 23rd of December so he can sit with me and explain everything in detail as much as i need (not what he normally does) and i will be able to make a great decision from that, i will let you all know what happens!
By the way his other patients call him Georgeous George lmao cause he is hot, not my type since im about 20 years younger, but i think his personality earns that nic name!
Belinda
Most Active