Revision on 11/24!!! How long to recover???

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 12:37 am
Hi all, had my consult with Dr. Lautz and what a nice guy! He is going to repair what ever is causing all this pain on my left side whether it's adhesions/hernia/ kink in something... and revise my pouch and stoma as they are huge... I am between scared to death and thrilled!!!
Unfortunately I just found out that I am only eligible for 2 wks paid out of work so how long did it take you to be able to go back? I am having it lap and I am an administrative assistant....
MsDeniseinPA
on 11/10/08 12:48 am - PA
Good question, I just came here to ask the same thing.  I have my date for 12/2/08 and was wondering how long I can expect recovery to be due to scheduling time off from work.  I know every surgery is different and every persons recovery is different too, but just wondering about an average.  If it helps at all, I'm a recruiter so it's mostly office work, no lifting.

I'm also pending a new job and wanted to know if I should take the new job before of after surgery, so this information will be helpful with that.
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 3:27 am
I wish you good luck and a quick recovery... we will probably be recuperating at the same time, stay in touch...we'll keep eachother company! Hugs
bonniend
on 11/10/08 3:14 am - MA
Hi,

I am revision post op and just found this site!  wow, I had looked for something like this pre-op but did not find anything.

I had my revision on 9/22/08 to my original gastric bypass 14 years ago.

I will be very frank with you.  It is a long, hard road to recovery from revision surgery.  I think it was harder than the first one, but that could be due to it being 14 years in btw. surgeries. 

I also was in alot of pain. I had fistula's on my new stomache opening that caused it to close and my old, much larger stomache to open and every time i ate something i had pain.

it is now fixed.  Surgery lasted about 9 hours, 3 of which were used to soley to remove scar tissue.  I spent 8 days in the hospital.  I was out of work for one month and tried to go back and it was touch and I am not a wimpy girl.  I had to start half days for 2 weeks then went back full time.  I went home from the hospital with 2 stomache tubes in.  One in each stomache.  One in the new one for drainage and one in the old for back up.  They say is it much more likely after revision to have leakage, so please be careful. 

The tube in the old stomache was the worst as it drains and with the drainage comes acid that can burn your skin around the tube.  The new pouch tube accidentially came out (I pulled it with my clothes and there it went) and the 2nd one was removed last week.  I still have a hole there where the stomache drains out and it is a pain.

I don't mean to scare you but i was not quite prepared for how hard it was going to be and just want to assist you in preparing.

I love your title, Brazilwife.  Are you married to a Brazilian?  I was and can speak Portuguese fluently.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Bonnie
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 3:32 am
Hi Bonnie, wow you did have a rough road! So the reason you had a revision is because of a fistula and the stuff backing up in the old stomach? My dr. mentioned that could possibly be the cause of my pain... what was your pain like?
I went through holy hell for my original bypass in 02 with lots of complications so I am trying not to freak out about it but I am much healthier now than I was back then so hopefully that will be in my favor... Yes my hubby is Brazilian - married 26 yrs this February.... Were was yours from? I can communicate but my grammar is hideous! Did you get a chance to visit there?
AphY Girl
on 11/10/08 8:38 am
My doctor said 2 weeks for a desk job and 4-6 weeks for a 'lifting' job.  Good luck!~
mew6495
on 11/10/08 10:43 am - MI
I had a revision on 10/3.  Mine was done open.  My doctor gave me 6 weeks off...I wanted to go back in 4 but made a deal with my hubby to at least wait 5.  I went back today at 5 weeks. Fortunately I healed rather quickly and did not find this time around more difficult then my first procedure in 2001. It ended up being much easier for me.   I stayed the whole day at work without complication, pain or worry.  I will be back at it tomorrow.  So I guess everyone is different.  ;-)    For lap you may be able to get away with 2 weeks but it might be tough!  I would suggest calling your surgeon and getting his input as he will have to be the one to release you.

Congratulations on your revision and I hope you have a speedy recovery.  Good Luck.
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 3:35 am
I will be crossing my fingers and toes that I am going to have an easier time of it the second time around like you did! Thanks for the response and kind wishes...
Valerieb09
on 11/10/08 11:13 am - Seacoast, NH
It sounds like your consult with Dr. Lautz went wll!  I was out of work three weeks and the first few days back were rough.  I was pretty worn out.  I think if you go back too early you could relapse.  My work day is from 8-5 so it is a pretty long day as I get up really early.
I am sure you will be very happy with Dr. Lautz as your surgeon.  He is simply the best!  I see him on Thursday for a five month post-op followup.
Valerie
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/08 3:39 am
Hi Valerie, I am excited about Dr. Lautz I have heard so many good things about him!
Thanks for the advice on recovery time, hopefully it will go smoothly... good luck Thurs. how has your weight loss been in the five months?
Most Active