Hi

fiveholts714
on 11/9/08 10:52 am - St. George, UT
I am new to this board.  About 3 years ago I went to Mexico and had a band done.  Less than a year later I was down 70 pounds and went to my American doctor for a second fill. The port had flipped over and after a lot of needles and pushing on my gut they thought they got the fill in.  About a week later I realized I had no fill at all - old or new.  Something happened during the fill - I do'nt know what but there is a hole somewhere in the tubing or port.  I eventually gained back my weight and then some.  This is so frustrating because I basically wasted all that money, plus going to Mexico wasn't a fun experience. 

Finally my insurance is going to pay 50% of a RNY starting next year.  I started calling surgeons on my plan only to find that none of them would touch me because I had surgery in Mexico.  All I wanted them to do was take out the band and do a RNY.  My friend set me up with her surgeon who is going to fix the band and do the RNY.  He said  that he wouldn't take it out, but fix it in case I would need restriction later. 

Before I had my 1st surgery I read a post by someone who had a band which failed and she gained her weight back. I could not understand how someone would go through all that and then eat herself back into her old weight.  I knew I would never do that...but then I did!  That's what I get for being judgmental.

We all have our problems, but none of us is a failure. Everyone else already judges us so much - let's not judge ourselves harshly.  We need to be our own best friend. 
cuppyb
on 11/9/08 8:49 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Revision on 05/20/15 with
Good luck with your surgery, sorry you had such a bad time with the band and finding a surgeon. 

Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain.- Author unknown

tnwalkersu
on 11/10/08 2:03 am - Somerville, TN
I got a band 2 yrs ago in Mexico.  My time there was great and I had a wonderful doctor.  The i got a leak in my port and tubing either from a fill or a defect.  What a waste of money is right.  Then I found OH and found out about DS.  I would definitely have the band removed.  Why would you want to keep something that may fail again.  Your surgery should take care of that.  In my opinion, don't let him leave the band in.  Get rid of it once and for all.  I have my band and there is no way I would keep it.  But then that's just me.  The DS will give me the restriction that I want and the malabsortion I need.  The DS will let me eat more normally then the band did without all of the reflux and vomiting.  Good luck with whatever you decide but really think over the band thing.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

Most Active