How do you know if your band is too tight

daizygurl27
on 11/9/08 10:04 am - Shinnston, WV
I had the lapband sept 7 2007 I am going to be honest and tell  you that I hate it.   I know some people have had major success and there are alot whom have not.  I truly am so confused and totally mentally exhausted with this band.  Right now I feel like I have major reflux and I do slime alot especially first thing in the morning.  I just wonder if something is wrong.  How do you know if you stretched your esophagus?  Is this correctable?  Will the insurance pay to take this thing out of me?  I am terrified of RNY but feel that maybe this is for me......I don't know I am just so disguisted I am ready to give up!!!!  Please help.......any advise would be wonderful.  

Thank You so much
Hondurian Queen
on 11/9/08 10:23 am - BOSTON, MA
YOU CAN TELL THE BAND IS TO TIGHT WHEN YOU CANT SWALLOW YOUR OWN SALIVA OR NOTHING STAYS DOWN YOU HAVE REALLY BAD REFLUX. LISTEN NEVER GIVE UP I HAD THE REVISION FROM BAND TO RNY AND I AM HAPPY THAT I DID GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY AND NEVER QUIT

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 10:26 am - Togo
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 10:31 am - Togo
fiveholts714
on 11/9/08 10:57 am - St. George, UT
I have a band that failed and am having a RNY.  I lost 70 pounds initially, but it was because it hurt everytime I swallowed anything.  I slimed and puked all the time.  If the band isn't working, consider something else. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/08 11:00 pm
Hello Daisy,
Sorry you are having problems with the band. I can relate. I had mine June 2007. A little over a year ago. I only lost like 39 pounds and six months into, I started having issues. If I got an adjustment I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. Let it out, I would gain weight, because you can eat anything. I had my saline taken out this spring. Although I have regained my weight, I feel great! Great about not voimting and having reflux. Until I got banded, I never had reflux in my 39 years on this earth. The band works if your doctor can find that "sweet spot". The zone that allows you to eat comfortably and lose weight. Otherwise, it doesn't work. I am getting revised tommorrow to the sleeve. Keep me in your prayers. I pray that you will find the best option for you. Everything doesn't work for every "body".

Sally J.
slfranks
on 11/10/08 6:08 am - Hutto, TX
I have the same issue. I have been banded since 2001. After being banded, I couldn't eat b-fast because I would throw it back up. I have gotten fills, thrown up everything or been able to eat everything. I finally made the 3 hour drive back to my original surgeon (moved out of the area in 2002) and he said I had a pouch and he removed almost all of my fill. I have since gained like 30 pounds. I am looking at revision, but my original dr won't do a sleeve because he said the restriction procedure didn't work the 1st time. If you research, it seems like several people have these issue. I never get full, I am hungry, then get sick. 
tnwalkersu
on 11/11/08 4:29 am - Somerville, TN
We've all been there. Had the band, hate the band, want the band out!  I wish I had never gotten the stupid thing.  I wouldn't recommed it to anyone.  I to am getting a revision to DS.  Is your band empty?  If it is then you need to call your doctor.  You could have a slippage.  If you are thinking about a revision then get the band taken out at the same time if you can.  This save you a lot of time in surgery and you won't have to be cut twice.  Don't give up.  We all think about doing it but there is a solution.  Call your doctor and talk to them about your problems and ask for floro to check it.  Then talk to them about getting a revision and see what they say.  It won't hurt to ask.  We are all afraid at oen time or another.  But you have a lot of support here.  Hang in there.

Tn Walkers - OFF AND RIDING!!

cyjthomas
on 11/11/08 8:35 am - Frisco, TX
Have you been back to your doctor for evaluation?  I would never let this go on with out finding out why it's happening.  I am 7 1/2 mos. out and have lost 70 lbs.  The only problem I have EVER had has been one of my own making, i.e. not chewing enough, eating too quickly.  I wouldn't give anything for my band, it's the best thing I have ever done for myself.  Years ago I had by pass and after several years I started having kidney stones.  First one a year then two a year then three or more a year.  If anyone has ever had them, you know it's worse than having a baby.  It was determined the bypass was the cause and I had it undone.  No stones since.  Too many people seem to have major absorption problems that lead to worse problems with the bypass so I didn't even consider it this time.  Thank God the band is now available. 

Highest & Surgery/current/Goal:         268/171/160

Most Active