Has anyone had Weight loss surgery in the past like 30years ago. and having a revison

KRWaters
on 11/9/08 6:22 am - Manteca, CA
Well maybe I came off a bit rough and very opinionated. I didn't mean to. I just wanted to make sure she did check with a surgeon who does really do the DS. A surgeon who only does Rny and/or lapband will defiknitely not promote the DS. She must get the facts of all surgeries, yes you are right, but definitely check out a DS before you pick something else. I sure wish I had known about the DS and unfortuantely I wasn't so fortunate to have someone tell me to check it out, and now look where I am, in despair hating myself and my body cause I did not do it right the first time. No one should have to suffer the way I am.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

GorgeousIsa
on 11/9/08 10:26 pm - Philly-delphia, PA
Just as well as you are suffering from RNY, there are people suffering from DS and Lapband and so forth...You came across very strong and opinionated:

"Gosh Edna, do NOT look to the band. One of the worst things you can do. The band is not all that others claim it to be. Check out the duodenal switch"

I just hate people like that. And just because you are having a hard time does not mean the next person will. I feel sorry for what you are going through but do not hinder someone else.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 8:49 pm - AZ
On November 9, 2008 at 7:50 AM Pacific Time, GorgeousIsa wrote:
Are you a DR. or something..How can you tell someone what the right thing to do is...People like you make things more difficult than it already is...Very discouraging.

Thank you for posting this.  It's about time someone did.

I did a few weeks ago and you would have thought the world was coming to an end.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/08 8:49 pm - AZ
On November 8, 2008 at 6:30 PM Pacific Time, KRWaters wrote:
Gosh Edna, do NOT look to the band. One of the worst things you can do. The band is not all that others claim it to be. Check out the duodenal switch. A far superior surgery to take it off and keep it off. Go to Duodenalswitch.com for a list of surgeons around these parts. Dr. Rabkin in SF is a very good surgeon and I believe he does all the different WLS. Dr. Cirangle and Jossart also in the SF area. There is dr. AraKeshishian in Delano, California, one of the best doing revisions, but he and the others i mentioned do charge a program fee.

There is Dr. Peter Crookes USC, who, I believe, does not charge a fee, but it is quite hard to speak to someone at his office. I tried it a couple of months ago and still have yet to hear back from them. Nevertheless, those are some reviision docs out there. If the doc does not do the DS, he will most likely put it down, he will bad mouth it. You must go to a doc who does all or at least the DS. Yes, you will have to travel to get to an doc expert in this field (DS revision).

Have you even HAD your DS yet?  You have been spamming the boards with this "GET DS AND ONLY DS" nonsense for a long time now.  If you have had your surgery you have been spamming this stuff since long before your surgery.

Let people make their own decisions without telling them what to do.

I hate the band, hate it with a passion but it is a very good option for some people.  People that cannot be under anesthesia for long, people that had bypass (bands do not appear to cause them the same problems as when it is the primary surgery,), etc.  You are not a doctor, quit playing one.

nursekrista35
on 11/11/08 4:54 am - louisville, OH
love the reply i was starting to think the same thing..lol..
nursekrista35
on 11/8/08 12:20 pm - louisville, OH
yes edna they do revisions and yes i had complications from vbg and had revision to rny. please do all your research on all wls because they all have pros and cons dont just listen to the opinion of others who are having revisions to a particular surgery they have chosen for example someoe *****vised to rny might say get that its the best. to have someone say oh no dont get the band thats there opinion only and u heard the saying opinions are like a..holes everyone has one.pick the one right for you.best of luck to you.
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/08 11:25 pm - Togo
Msdragonz
on 11/9/08 3:40 pm, edited 11/9/08 3:57 pm - NEPA, PA
Hi Edna,
I has my first surgery in 1999. It was supposed to be an rny (I thought) but it was a mini-gastric-loop. Basically the gave me a 65 cc pouch and bypassed only 4cm of intestine instead of the 150cm that is usually bypassed these days. (it varies though)
I lost about 80lbs and gradually gained a lot of it back. I was so depressed because I thought "I" had failed. (I was like "Who does that, fails a surgery?") Anyhow, a friend of mine told me that some dctrs now do revisions, so I began to look into it.
I initially was going to be revised to rny, but after LOTS of research I decided that the DS would be best FOR ME. I am currently waiting for my insurance to go through and will be having my DS in NJ with DR Greenbaum. (If you want to know the reasons I chose the DS, PM me and I will share them with you, I won't deny you your right to choose which revision you want, based on your own needs and reasons. I just know it was the best choice for me)
My suggestion would be do research- lots and lots of it. You can find so much info right here  on this website by visiting various boards and talking with different people.
What I did was go through many nights of just reading peoples posts, and based my choice on them.
While there are a lot of "facts" out there, reading what people's experiences were before, during and long after their surgery helped me so much in the end.
Good luck with your journey and I hope you get the surgery you decide on.
In Love and Light,
Robin
jennyn
on 11/10/08 1:15 am - Kingston, TN
Robin,
I had never heard of the loop before.  I had RNY(or so I think) in 2000 I lost about 75 pounds and have regained almost all.  I have an appt on Thurs with another surgeon.  I just got back from my upper GI and the first thing the radiologist said was "do you know why they made your pouch so big?"  Hallalujah!  I have been saying something was not right since the beginning!  I felt like I was always hungry, dr just told me to eat more protein. 

I was sure I had failed WLS too.  How could anyone not lose and even gain after sugery!
Most Active