Has anyone had Weight loss surgery in the past like 30years ago. and having a revison

ednalewis
on 11/7/08 10:48 pm - stockton, CA
Hello my name is edna. I had gastric bypass surgery, In 1979. That did'nt work. But i want a revision. Do doctors perform these operations, today.I am finding someone who can help me understand. If they have had complacations .

WHAT I NEED MOST IS NEW FRIENDS AND SUPPORT LEFT BEFORE BECAUSE I WAS DENIED GASTRIC BYPASS BUT I;M STILL HOPING AND IS WAITING ON GOD'S APPROVAL

Madcow
on 11/8/08 1:25 am - MA
The answer is yes surgeons do perform revisions.  You should do some more research and also speak to a surgeon who has experience doing them. Technology has changed significantly in the last 30 years.

240/140/138
cj1
on 11/8/08 1:58 am

I had my revision done 11/04/08...So far so good.  Not in much pain anymore.  Getting around quite well.  Look on this website for a surgeon in your area.  Then call their office to get the ball rolling.  I did that and 2 months to the date I started, I had my surgery done!  Good luck and do your research!!  CJ!
pepsi98
on 11/8/08 8:51 am - Norwich, CT
Oh  My Edna,
   I had gastric stapling in  1982, lost 120 lbs and gained it back.  Now 26 years later I am having a lap band placed over my old stapling on Dec. 10th.  I have gone back and forth about different types of revisions (DS, VSG, Band etc) and for me I will have the band.  My surgeon says that with my old surgery the way it is, a band is probably the best option.

Check into the band...and good luck!

Sue
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

KRWaters
on 11/8/08 10:30 am - Manteca, CA
Gosh Edna, do NOT look to the band. One of the worst things you can do. The band is not all that others claim it to be. Check out the duodenal switch. A far superior surgery to take it off and keep it off. Go to Duodenalswitch.com for a list of surgeons around these parts. Dr. Rabkin in SF is a very good surgeon and I believe he does all the different WLS. Dr. Cirangle and Jossart also in the SF area. There is dr. AraKeshishian in Delano, California, one of the best doing revisions, but he and the others i mentioned do charge a program fee.

There is Dr. Peter Crookes USC, who, I believe, does not charge a fee, but it is quite hard to speak to someone at his office. I tried it a couple of months ago and still have yet to hear back from them. Nevertheless, those are some reviision docs out there. If the doc does not do the DS, he will most likely put it down, he will bad mouth it. You must go to a doc who does all or at least the DS. Yes, you will have to travel to get to an doc expert in this field (DS revision).

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

pepsi98
on 11/8/08 7:51 pm - Norwich, CT
pepsi98
on 11/8/08 8:10 pm - Norwich, CT
I was not trying to "bash" any particular WLS in case it sounded like I was.  The gastric staplings that were done in the late 70's and 80's were doomed for failure and they are not done like that anymore.  Our plumbing is hooked up differently and for me, revision options are limited,.  I also have picked up the usual suspects  of comorbidities long the way which further limit my options. This is why I have chosen the band.

Edna, I encourage you to check out all WLS  options with your surgeon and together decide what is right for you.  There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to WLS.

Good luck!

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

GorgeousIsa
on 11/8/08 11:50 pm - Philly-delphia, PA
Are you a DR. or something..How can you tell someone what the right thing to do is...People like you make things more difficult than it already is...Very discouraging.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
pepsi98
on 11/9/08 2:49 am - Norwich, CT
Are you responding to ME or another poster??  I am encouraging this woman to research ALL different options and choose what is best for her.

GorgeousIsa
on 11/9/08 6:07 am - Philly-delphia, PA
Nope.
HIGH-294CURRENT-151 GOAL-150LBS GONE-143LBS 2 GO-1 (Last weigh in 7/14)   Platics Done: Breast Reduction (5/14) Extended Tummy Tuck w/ Anchor & Brachioplasty (5/29)
Most Active